Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Brilliant Blog...

[quote user="south of the border"]A very good read & completely agree.Interesting to read the alterative point of view put forward by Purple Canary.So you are prepared to spend your hard earned money on an overpriced ticket but not to watch 2nd or 3rd rate football.Well clearly the football club has a duty to print on that ticket the following warning.''The outcome of the football match you are about to watch can not be guarenteed''Just to make sure the pruchaser fully undrestands that watching said football match contains an element of risk and the complete satisfaction of the customer is always in the balance!!OTBC[/quote]I am saying a generation has grown up that is prepared to pay a reasonable or even inflated price for top-quality football but will not put up with a sub-standard product. The world has changed. It used to be that if you wanted to watch any kind of professional football you had to go to a game. Now you can see the best there is on TV. So there is a reluctance to pay through the nose to watch sub-standard fare.For around the price of one second-tier match at Carrow Road I can go to the cinema and watch three of the latest Hollywood releases, or a couple of West End-quality shows at the Theatre Royal. In the language of my generation, it is a no-brainer.

Its still holds true though that no one is forcing anyone to do anything. If you don''t like it, or can''t afford it, don''t go. If you don''t think it is value for money, spend your money elsewhere.Just stop going and stop putting yourself through misery.Or, of course, what you could do is still go, despite hating it, and whinge endlessly, without actually doing anything about it.[;)]

Since on other threads a bit of internecine fan oneupmanship has broken out, with even the most obvious spoofs being taken seriously, I had better bring an end to this little charade. But it was fun for a while to pretend to be a twentysomething glory-hunter with no sense of history and the attention span of a particularly dense goldfish. And someone did need to put forward an opposing view to the OP.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Since on other threads a bit of internecine fan oneupmanship has broken out, with even the most obvious spoofs being taken seriously, I had better bring an end to this little charade. But it was fun for a while to pretend to be a twentysomething glory-hunter with no sense of history and the attention span of a particularly dense goldfish. And someone did need to put forward an opposing view to the OP.[/quote]I was beginning to think your account had been taken over by Aliens, Purple.Or perhaps you were smoking some particularly strong stuff, only available in sun drenched tax havens.[Y]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Since on other threads a bit of internecine fan oneupmanship has broken out, with even the most obvious spoofs being taken seriously, I had better bring an end to this little charade. But it was fun for a while to pretend to be a twentysomething glory-hunter with no sense of history and the attention span of a particularly dense goldfish. And someone did need to put forward an opposing view to the OP.[/quote]I was beginning to think your account had been taken over by Aliens, Purple.Or perhaps you were smoking some particularly strong stuff, only available in sun drenched tax havens.[Y][/quote]More that I was listening to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds at the time, ricardo...[:D]

That really is a well written article Duncan as are all your blogs that I''ve read recently.

This is obviously the best place to post them, 1750 people have viewed it and you have nearly 40 replies, at this rate Archant will be offering you a column of your own lol

Keep up the good work!

Nice blog, but nice counter-point from PC. Both have non-exclusive elements of truth.

Socrates despaired of the younger generation. Change has benefits and flaws to overcome.

Golden eras were no such thing. Ignorance is remembered as simplicity. Dangers and lack of care remembered as freedom. Unquestioned authority begat abuses. People demand more as they''ve always done.

You''ve never had it so good.

Parma

Parma

Perhaps it is not so much that criticism is expressed-certainly an individual’s opinion has a right to find an outlet. Sometimes it is the method of that expression and the language used which causes any who witness in person or read the criticism to sigh gently and turn away. Maybe it is the safe anonymity of internet forums or large crowds of people that encourage an expression that is often excessive, unnecessarily personal and sometimes moronically insulting. In the same way that the performance of great athletes is somehow enhanced by an occasional glimpse of personal humility, ardent criticism is equally enhanced by a literate and decent method of expression. I had occasion to listen to a ancient YouTube rendition of On The Ball City recently and I had to smile while thinking, how very much times and we have changed.

To be fair we probably do get all misty eyed when we look back. Because I can remember how OTBC was sung in the 60s but then I can also remember the disgraceful Zigger Zagger chants at Geoffrey Watling. So the method of expression and the language used was as bad then if not worse. And yes you''re right. I think it''s being part of a large crowd and the anonymity that forum discussions can give that makes people behave in that way.

So we are all different and always have been. I''m a firm believer in positive support and the benefit united people can bring to most situations.  

It''s a wonderfully written piece, I very much enjoyed reading it and appreciate Lappin bringing attention to it as otherwise I would never have seen it.

As a military exile I don''t get to as many games as I''d like, but I think I''ve noticed the change more acutely because of that over the last ten years.

It''s funny because, while I know he was having a laugh, Purple probably has picked up a bit on the way certain people feel.

There is a simple socio-economic well known fact that when things are cheap you care less about value for money and require less of that value for money to enjoy the experience. Take petrol as an abstract example of the point, are we all driving as frugally now the price has dropped so dramatically? Or now it''s not as expensive do we not mind a bit of unnecessary acceleration and petrol wasting fun as we are getting better value for money.

Football can very much be looked at in the same manner, although reversed. The perceived entertainment quality has dropped but the price has remained high, I see a lot of value for money comments and the right to boo being tied to being a paying customer. I wonder if those people would feel the same if season ticket prices had been reduced on relegation rather than frozen.

I''m not saying that is the deciding factor by any means, I think it''s a multitude of issues, but I don''t think the reason is purely because they only crave success, but I may be wrong.