Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Had just about enough of idiot Norwich fans

Will get slated for this post no doubt but I really don''t care. I know we all pay our money and have a right to our opinion and I also realise this board only represents a minority.

But I''ve had just about enough of hearing and reading absolute drivel from some fans.

Last week I was incredulous when the boos rang out when Hooper was subbed. We were obviously getting over run in midfield and needed another body in there, preferably a creator, which AN recognised and rightly so.

Secondly the abuse Whittaker received and the overall performance was ludicrous and a classic example of our fans inept opinions on professional football.

We have our 3 first choice midfielders out and a RB in midfield, all after a week of disruption with Phelan leaving, and lo and behold the performance was poor.

And now we have utter idiocy at the result of yesterdays performance, away, against an in form side.

The Jerome issue has been explained, and for me Hooper is not the man to play the lone striker role. When I saw the lineup I was thrilled and thought good, time for Jerome and Hooper to be rested, Bassong back fantastic, and Tettey and Johnson behind a good attacking 3.

This was the formation, and most of the players that started the season so well. For me it was our switch to 442 that was the start of our problems.

AN has sorted the defensive problems that have been evident all season, or at least has started too, hopefully this new back four will finally work.

So AN has been here 5 mins, still doesn''t fully know the players strengths and yet he''s already improved the defence and laid down a marker of perform or you''ll lose your place. Two things that have been missing for 2 years.

It just seems that some of our fans really are clueless about the world of professional football, and I''m tired of hearing their constantly wrong opinions on everything.

How about everyone stops moaning, gets behind the team and give a guy who''s been here 5 mins a chance rather than blindly with no thought slaughtering every decision made and slating AN and the team because we haven''t won 10-0 every game.

Thank god someone else feels the same! When I saw the team selection I thought it looked balanced and able to deal with things defensively!

Lo and behold we got a clean sheet!... The rest will come!

Excellent post

There is an internal civil war on for the heart of this club

Miserable people v those that enjoy going to the football.

You are mostly correct OP, but I believe the the frustration of the fans needs to be assessed from the wider picture. It is based upon the disappointment at the way this season is panning out.Of course NCFC has no divine right to be in the Premier League. At best we are in limbo between the top tier and the second, at best.But, and it''s a calculated but, This particular season we had every right to expect our team to be in a more challenging position than we currently are.Instead, we have had nothing but change and upheaval and experimentation which, as you suggest, bodes badly for performance and results.I used this in another posting, but will repeat, it is an indication of our disappointment that scraping into the play-offs is now the pinnacle of our expectations.It is vented in the instant discontent at perceived poor selection and performance.Whether we have a right to expect more is another question.Good luck Alex Neil, you will need it as the Carrow Road fuse is very short.

[quote user="Buh"] those that enjoy going to the football.[/quote]...so you ''enjoyed'' last week''s total shambles of a display, then Buh ?I''ve used this phrase before, and make no apology for doing so again;Easily satisfied.

Well done Huckerby, you make some great points, the team was well set up yesterday with the players available, and never looked like losing, will take AN some time to get exactly what he wants from the players, and early signs are good, IMO.

Best post I''ve seen for some time. 

There is a proportion of our fanbase for whom its all a big game - and they are only in it for themselves. They see the ups and downs of the team as a way of expressing their own sad view of life - seeing footballers in their own team as being like players in some weird computer game where they are either super heroes or super villains - and nothing in between.

For them real life has little meaning as they can only handle extremes of emotion.  There''s no middle ground or room for trying to understand the reality of situations.   Our fanbase is large and there are many, many terrific supporters - but there are some - and  I''ve been saying this for sometime - that enjoy bringing us down, almost as much as cheering us on.   Like I said, its just a big game to them and they are spoiling it for the rest.   Everyone likes to moan sometimes, everyone feels worse when we aren''t doing so well, but expressing it in the way some do is frankly selfish, childish and does no good for the club at all.  It would be better if they just stayed at home playing computer games where their childish and moronic extremes of attitude can do less harm.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Buh"] those that enjoy going to the football.[/quote]...so you ''enjoyed'' last week''s total shambles of a display, then Buh ?I''ve used this phrase before, and make no apology for doing so again;Easily satisfied.[/quote]

If you''re going to quote what he said at least have the common decency to use the whole sentance.

That''s far too deep LDC. How can you possibly psychanalyse such a large group of people in such a way? How can you possibly de compartmentalise such a large group of peole lie that?Everybody is different in every way. See things differently, varyinging expectations and expertise.

There is no need to put the whole of the fan-base on the practitioners couch.I do know what you mean, and agree to a certain extent but your observatios are both too incisive and superficial at the same time.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]That''s far too deep LDC. How can you possibly psychanalyse such a large group of people in such a way? How can you possibly de compartmentalise such a large group of peole like that?Everybody is different in every way. See things differently, varyinging expectations and expertise.There is no need to put the whole of the fan-base on the practitioners couch.I do know what you mean, and agree to a certain extent but your observations are both too incisive and superficial at the same time.[/quote]

Maybe, but when you visit the ground as I do, just a few times a season, you get a perspective that is slightly different from those that go every week. I tend to soak up things at quite a high degree of intensity when  I go to matches,  because going infrequently makes the occasions more special than perhaps if I went every week as a matter of routine. 

At the start of the L1 season there was an air of optimism that was so real, it was fantastic to be part of - right from that first game - and although it was a historic match, that optimism stayed through the difficult change over period until Lambert really got us going.  That optimism stayed with us and the momentum of  the whole club was on the up. What I have seen since we went up to the premiership is a stalling of that optimism and positivity - and that occurred almost from the day we went into the premiership with Lambert.  At the start of that there were silent, nervous  crowds, almost a doom laden atmosphere where some had us relegated from the beginning of October.   That underlying feeling has been there at a lot of games I went to during the three seasons in the prem.  Hughton was pretty much doomed from the start because with that underlying fear and with Lambert going, the atmosphere degenerated to the extent that those types who revel when things are not going so well start to be heard more and more - and yes I do believe crowds influence things far more than people realise.   Its a slippery slope imo - and although yes, its not fair to bunch supporters together and make broad assumptions,  a large crowd does have certain attributes that shine through, depending on the prevailing general attitude.  

The best thing that can happen is that we get more young players in and give us a sense that we are building from within and can see some possibilites for some long term progress. 

Good post but you don''t leave both of your best forwards on the bench, rest one or the other but not both.

If Jerome or Hooper needed a rest then they are not match fit, they should not be taking up a place on the bench. That''s my view.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Buh"] those that enjoy going to the football.[/quote]...so you ''enjoyed'' last week''s total shambles of a display, then Buh ?I''ve used this phrase before, and make no apology for doing so again;Easily satisfied.[/quote]

If you''re going to quote what he said at least have the common decency to use the whole sentance.

[/quote]OK , if it makes you feel any better about it ALOS.

Miserable people v those that enjoy going to the football.

Doesn''t make much difference as regards my observation/comment, does it.?But you will have your little agenda though,........PS, if we''re going to be pedantic about this , it''s spelt ''sentence'' ( not sentance)

Don''t always agree with your opinions Matt, but I think you''re absolutely spot on with everything you''ve said there. I went to the game yesterday and I don''t think anyone will claim it was a masterpiece. However, two key issues have immeadiately been addressed. The ball retention which was so poor against Brentford was very good and we totally starved Birmingham of possession - a good Birmingham side who are average around 2 points a game under Rowett. The defence, aided by Tettey, looked strong and balanced. Having a left footed central defender makes such a difference and Alex Neil deserves credit for recognising it by reintegrating Bassong.Contrary to what I''ve read on here, I think Alex Neill is tactically clued up. He''s not shoved Wes out on the wing (almost a rite of passage for a Norwich manager) and accepts if Wes is going to play, he must play centrally. He''s also acknowledged that Hooper can''t fulfill the role of a lone striker and that Grabban was the better choice yesterday for that role. He''s also realised very quickly that Lafferty is not a left winger, which is another promising development. These may all sound like obvious points, but they''re the kind of mistakes Adams and Hughton repeatedly made while they were managing the club. We didn''t show as much attacking penetration as we''d have liked but I think there are three factors at play here. For Alex Neil''s 4-1-4-1 system to be truly effective we need a midfielder capable of bursting beyond the front man. I think Howson can be that man once he returns from suspension. He scored 11 goals in a season for Leeds doing a similar job. I think he can definitely hit those heights for Norwich and this system will allow him to do that. When Jerome is fully fit I think he will do that lone striker job perfectly. I also think signing a decent left sided midfielder will help us a lot. It''s probably too late for this window but it was a major failing of the previous management team - allowing all of our left sided players to leave without signing a proper replacement. There were some solid, if unspectacular, foundations laid there yesterday. I think only the most deluded Norwich fan would still believe automatic promotion is a possibility. However, we''re only 3 points off a playoff position. It''s also worth remembering that 3 of Watford''s next 4 games include Blackburn, Brentford and Norwich. When you factor in that we''ve got Wolves and Ipswich coming up at home soon, this is a big month for us. If we build on this performance yesterday, we can be right in there for the playoff spots. This season still has life in it yet.

Good post, and more importantly a good thread - bar the one word self confession!  I don''t think those of us who ''enjoy'' following our team should worry as much as some of us do about the 50 or so (maximum!) who frequent the message boards with negativity and usually very short comments. That for me is the give away, the 2 or 3 liners with 100% commitment to the negative course are just not worth reading. Those who complement the negative with posive when appropriate, now that''s absolutely fine by me - in fact we all do that and so we should. We all know the anti brigade, many if not most are binners anyway, so my recommendation is do what I do and as soon as I see one of them on as thread I stop reading it. Give me some balanced comments and I''ll read on, but that just doesn''t happen with them sadly. 

That''s a good post Matt, if our fans are unable to get behind the team then they perhaps should be asking themselves why they bother to go.

Nobody is happy with what''s been happening over the last year or so, the club seems to have succeeded in just about pi$$ing every one of us off in some way, with one decision or another, but that''s where we are, it''s happened.

All we want is success and the best contribution we can now make as fans to achieving that is by giving the manager and the team 100% support for the rest of the season.

We need a clear out of all the bandwagon jumpers who clambered aboard under Lambert''s tenure and now think that those three unparalleled seasons represent the club''s natural capacity for success and excitement.
Hopefully they will all toddle off again after this season, and go back to shopping or supporting Manchester United.
My binner friend who bemoans the 10,000 extra fans now attending Portman Road is right to be concerned - those fickle fans will be the first to boo and the first to leave.

Don''t be exasperated Huck. Remember - lots of posters on here are wind up merchants or trolls ... An inevitable irritation of any public forum.

I''m sure that the vast majority of fans think the way you do. Neil needs TIME and as supporters we need to give him that.

Excellent thread to the OP. I would also like to say how nice it is for so many people agree to common sense and voice their agreement, mostly we only hear about much of the negative things about the club; some of which are true, most are lies.

Sorry to burden this excellent thread but IMHO the thread started by Maccy''s Back is a classic wind up example - negative block capital headline, keep it going up to half an hour after the match and then disappear!  Then the wind up has worked as far as he is concerned.  So my recommendation is "don''t take the bait" - ignore the thread and move on to better threads with reasoned debate, such as this one. Yesterday was nowhere near the disaster some would have us believe. AN has made some early judgements and acted quickly. The man is not afraid to make a call, and I am delighted the main decision yesterday was to sort the defence problem out asap!  That was the most important clean sheet for a long time. Now lets see where it leads. Roll on Blackpool - lets see it for ourselves.

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]Don''t always agree with your opinions Matt, but I think you''re absolutely spot on with everything you''ve said there. I went to the game yesterday and I don''t think anyone will claim it was a masterpiece. However, two key issues have immeadiately been addressed. The ball retention which was so poor against Brentford was very good and we totally starved Birmingham of possession - a good Birmingham side who are average around 2 points a game under Rowett. The defence, aided by Tettey, looked strong and balanced. Having a left footed central defender makes such a difference and Alex Neil deserves credit for recognising it by reintegrating Bassong.Contrary to what I''ve read on here, I think Alex Neill is tactically clued up. He''s not shoved Wes out on the wing (almost a rite of passage for a Norwich manager) and accepts if Wes is going to play, he must play centrally. He''s also acknowledged that Hooper can''t fulfill the role of a lone striker and that Grabban was the better choice yesterday for that role. He''s also realised very quickly that Lafferty is not a left winger, which is another promising development. These may all sound like obvious points, but they''re the kind of mistakes Adams and Hughton repeatedly made while they were managing the club. We didn''t show as much attacking penetration as we''d have liked but I think there are three factors at play here. For Alex Neil''s 4-1-4-1 system to be truly effective we need a midfielder capable of bursting beyond the front man. I think Howson can be that man once he returns from suspension. He scored 11 goals in a season for Leeds doing a similar job. I think he can definitely hit those heights for Norwich and this system will allow him to do that. When Jerome is fully fit I think he will do that lone striker job perfectly. I also think signing a decent left sided midfielder will help us a lot. It''s probably too late for this window but it was a major failing of the previous management team - allowing all of our left sided players to leave without signing a proper replacement. There were some solid, if unspectacular, foundations laid there yesterday. I think only the most deluded Norwich fan would still believe automatic promotion is a possibility. However, we''re only 3 points off a playoff position. It''s also worth remembering that 3 of Watford''s next 4 games include Blackburn, Brentford and Norwich. When you factor in that we''ve got Wolves and Ipswich coming up at home soon, this is a big month for us. If we build on this performance yesterday, we can be right in there for the playoff spots. This season still has life in it yet. [/quote]Yesterday''s changes also suggest Neil is not afraid of making tough decisions.

Be careful what you wish for......good OP but some on here saying we don''t need negative fans are wrong. Without the 10 or so thousand who vented their frustration last wek the ground would be full of smiling people and green n yellow seats!

It''s not AN its the entire set up and not everyone is happy with the last 2 appointments and how tge last seadon n half has been handled.

AN is unlucky to have come in at a time of frustration and short patiance. A few goid results will help.

[quote user="Indy"]Be careful what you wish for......good OP but some on here saying we don''t need negative fans are wrong. Without the 10 or so thousand who vented their frustration last week the ground would be full of smiling people and green n yellow seats! [/quote]17,000 fully supportive and vocal fans would be just the ticket on Saturday. Empty seats don''t boo, hurl abuse or moan.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Indy"]Be careful what you wish for......good OP but some on here saying we don''t need negative fans are wrong. Without the 10 or so thousand who vented their frustration last week the ground would be full of smiling people and green n yellow seats! [/quote]17,000 fully supportive and vocal fans would be just the ticket on Saturday. Empty seats don''t boo, hurl abuse or moan.[/quote]Now you are getting carried away westcoast. I can''t agree with that. Our consistent support is one of the great strengths of this Club, moaners or not. I suspect you were tongue in cheek there?The loss of income from a dip of 9, 000 attendance over the course of the season would be a massive loss of income, especially in the Championship with less from TV.They were booing at the Loo yesterday as apparently it was a dire match. Yet McCarthy has done a magnificent job there in getting a bunch of cheapies and freebies to over-perform the way they are this season. Let''s hope the wheels are coming off down there.All football crowds have an element of booers when things go badly. It is an expression of disappointment. 

[quote user="BroadstairsR"][quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Indy"]Be careful what you wish for......good OP but some on here saying we don''t need negative fans are wrong. Without the 10 or so thousand who vented their frustration last week the ground would be full of smiling people and green n yellow seats! [/quote]17,000 fully supportive and vocal fans would be just the ticket on Saturday. Empty seats don''t boo, hurl abuse or moan.[/quote]Now you are getting carried away westcoast. I can''t agree with that. Our consistent support is one of the great strengths of this Club, moaners or not. I suspect you were tongue in cheek there?The loss of income from a dip of 9, 000 attendance over the course of the season would be a massive loss of income, especially in the Championship with less from TV.They were booing at the Loo yesterday as apparently it was a dire match. Yet McCarthy has done a magnificent job there in getting a bunch of cheapies and freebies to over-perform the way they are this season. Let''s hope the wheels are coming off down there.All football crowds have an element of booers when things go badly. It is an expression of disappointment.[/quote]

Booing is not an expression of disappointment, its an expression of "I can''t have what I want so I''m going to boo" - much like a baby cries when it wants attention.         "Waaa! Waaa!" or "Boo! Boo! - there''s not much difference.