Sign in to follow this  
deltic31

We are going nowhere

This refers to a few on here who should actually know better, and those who do attend most matches should know that the last sentence is 100% true, so why are you in denial? ......

"You really do think that you speak for everyone don''t you!

I go to the match expecting entertainment.

I don''t expect to win every game but I do at least expect us to compete.

If you want the sort of football that many of our home games this season have resulted in then bully for you.

I don''t it has not been anywhere near good enough and I don''t care who I upset in stating it! "

[quote user="deltic31"]Typical of some on this board. Post anything that they don''t agree with and you must be a binner. Just because I have a bit of a moan does not mean that I don''t want us to do well.

I just don''t look at things through yellow and green tinted specs all of the time.

I too sit in the Upper Barclay and there are quite a few who make their feelings known. They pay their money so they are entitled to do as they wish (within reason)[/quote]No, you came on here, posted an antagonistic rant, and basically called anyone that doesn''t agree with you a happy clapper. No one is truly happy with how the club has been run this season, but the way some are acting it would seem the club is dead and buried, foot of the table and just got rid of all of its decent players. Some posters need to grow up, stop whinging and realise it''s not as bad as you''re making out.

I can understand the OP''s frustrations because we have been so inconsistent. But in all reality, I see a bunch of teams in the top eight in the Champs that are fairly similar in ability. The reason that teams are above us - IMO is that they are more consistent. We have beaten some of the best teams in this league and then dropped points against some of the worst. We have a new manager who is still getting to know his players strengths and limitations. He doesn''t have a magic wand - it will take a bit of time. But we still have enough time to put a run together and get ourselves in the playoffs. My belief is that we will just make the playoffs (you may disagree). If we do make the playoffs we will be a dangerous team because on our day we can beat anyone in this league. How many times have we seen a team come with a late run and use that momentum to succeed in the playoffs? It''s possible. I agree that some of the play this season, and some of the decisions have been disappointing to say the least. But we can all have a good moan at the end of the season if it goes belly-up. No time to lose our nerve now. I have myself been critical on here many times. But for me, now is the time to get behind the team. It may not be pretty but it could well still be an exciting end to the season. I actually envy you - I live up north and often have to work at the weekend. I do get to some away games, but even a poor game at CR would be better than sat in the office! It might also be prudent to see how our new signing plays and rate how good he is after a few games rather than write him off before he has kicked a ball for us. He might actually be a decent player.

[quote user="6088m canary"] To all people slagging off the OP tell me honsetly that we shouldn''t be above the likes of the binners, boro and brentford?!?[/quote]This being my first post on the thread I can''t be accused of slagging off the OP, but I will tell you honestly that saying "we should be above the likes of the binners, boro and brentford" is nonsense. They thoroughly deserve to be where they are at the moment, as do we. Why not give proper credit to the teams currently above us? Alternatively, maybe you could spell out exactly why you think we "should" be above them? How many of the teams we out-performed in our last Championship-winning season under Lambert "should" have finished above us?

I''d imagine that a lot of the frustration is that we should have been set up for making a better fist of this, but instead:

1. chose the wrong manager in the summer

2. acquired then lost Royle and Phelan

3. removed the manager and brought ina new one

4. brought in a new head coach

I think the bottom line is that while we have some good players, and I still maintain a squad every bit as capable as others in the top 8, we have not created a team, and that is the difference. B''mouth, Boro, Derby etc all look like a team, with a plan, a settled side and a confidence. We have seemingly done everything we could to undermine the team ethic, that one factor which lambert so brilliantly created with inferior players and which took us to the Prem. That to me is the frustration.

If AN, FM, GH can get the team thing going again, and the return of Bassong is a good sign in that direction, then the short term future may look quite rosy again.

[quote user="deltic31"][quote user="morty"]How long have you been watching City, Deltic?[/quote]

Since 1970[/quote]Then I would have thought you would have been more used to the ups and downs of being a City fan, by now.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]I''d imagine that a lot of the frustration is that we should have been set up for making a better fist of this, but instead:

1. chose the wrong manager in the summer

2. acquired then lost Royle and Phelan

3. removed the manager and brought ina new one

4. brought in a new head coach

I think the bottom line is that while we have some good players, and I still maintain a squad every bit as capable as others in the top 8, we have not created a team, and that is the difference. B''mouth, Boro, Derby etc all look like a team, with a plan, a settled side and a confidence. We have seemingly done everything we could to undermine the team ethic, that one factor which lambert so brilliantly created with inferior players and which took us to the Prem. That to me is the frustration.

If AN, FM, GH can get the team thing going again, and the return of Bassong is a good sign in that direction, then the short term future may look quite rosy again.[/quote]What you list as the sources of frustration are pretty much the standard when teams are relegated from the PL. I''d say that things have actually held together pretty well -- just look at Cardiff and Fulham who came down with us, or Wigan from the previous year, or Bolton and Wolves (not to mention the host of "big" clubs all of whose supporters think they "should" be in the PL but who have been stuck in the Championship year after year: Forest, Birmingham, Leeds, Wednesday etc.)And yes, "B''mouth, Boro, Derby etc." do look like "teams, with a plan, a settled side and a confidence" which we have not managed to emulate as yet. But it is no accident that those teams are showing those characteristics. They have not been hampered by the unsettling effects of relegation and have been building steadily over a number of seasons to reach this point. Instead of this guff about where we "should" be and who we "should" be above, people need to look at where Cardiff, Wigan, Fulham, Blackburn, Birmingham and others are.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="deltic31"][quote user="morty"]How long have you been watching City, Deltic?[/quote]

Since 1970[/quote]Then I would have thought you would have been more used to the ups and downs of being a City fan, by now.[/quote]
Indeed, morty. And it''s not just City fans. It''s the same for the majority of football teams the world over. We all have periods of ups and downs; it what keeps us interested. I don''t know why so many expect NCFC to be different.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]What you list as the sources of frustration are pretty much the standard when teams are relegated from the PL. I''d say that things have actually held together pretty well -- just look at Cardiff and Fulham who came down with us, or Wigan from the previous year, or Bolton and Wolves (not to mention the host of "big" clubs all of whose supporters think they "should" be in the PL but who have been stuck in the Championship year after year: Forest, Birmingham, Leeds, Wednesday etc.)And yes, "B''mouth, Boro, Derby etc." do look like "teams, with a plan, a settled side and a confidence" which we have not managed to emulate as yet. But it is no accident that those teams are showing those characteristics. They have not been hampered by the unsettling effects of relegation and have been building steadily over a number of seasons to reach this point. Instead of this guff about where we "should" be and who we "should" be above, people need to look at where Cardiff, Wigan, Fulham, Blackburn, Birmingham and others are.[/quote]
I agree with every word of this. Again, there are fans amongst us who seem to expect us to be the exception rather than the rule.

[quote user="Chip20"][quote user="morty"][quote user="deltic31"][quote user="morty"]How long have you been watching City, Deltic?[/quote]

Since 1970[/quote]Then I would have thought you would have been more used to the ups and downs of being a City fan, by now.[/quote]
Indeed, morty. And it''s not just City fans. It''s the same for the majority of football teams the world over. We all have periods of ups and downs; it what keeps us interested. I don''t know why so many expect NCFC to be different.
[/quote]I can only guess extremely short, selective memories.Perhaps people have been spoiled by the Lambert years? But it would be a bit naive to expect that level of success constantly.When I first started going, in the early 90''s there were crowds of 12k regularly, and some truly awful football on display, and people didn''t moan nearly as much as they are doing now.

Yes, morty, definitely crowds of 12k in the early nineties when we finished 3rd in the then new Premier and went on to host Bayern Munich & Inter.

[quote user="Shyster"]Yes, morty, definitely crowds of 12k in the early nineties when we finished 3rd in the then new Premier and went on to host Bayern Munich & Inter.[/quote]I am talking about after that.

Indeed Shyster. And having finished 3rd in the PL and gone on to host Bayern Munich & Inter Milan once I don''t see why we shouldnt expect to every year...

westcoastcanary -- ''They have not been hampered by the unsettling effects of relegation and have been building steadily over a number of seasons to reach this point. Instead of this guff about where we "should" be and who we "should" be above, people need to look at where Cardiff, Wigan, Fulham, Blackburn, Birmingham and others are.''

Then pardon me all over the place for preferring to look where Southampton & Swansea are at.

nutty nigel -- ''Indeed Shyster. And having finished 3rd in the PL and gone on to host Bayern Munich & Inter Milan once I don''t see why we shouldnt expect to every year... ''

I''m not going to discuss anything with you if all you can offer is pedantry and appeasement, Nigel.

There''s enough apologists on this message-board to last at least five seasons of mediocrity.

I''m devastated now Shyster because I''m not an apologist, just a very happy clapper. And dont bother replying to my post because I won''t return. I shall be in a Suffolk village reading other posts while I build up a head of steam....

Apart from the petty bickering from the usual suspects, this is quite a thought provoking thread.And it got me wondering: about eighteen months ago there were a succession of threads on here which, in a nutshell , were debating which was better.......several seasons of mid-table mediocrity in the Premier League, and all the static tedium that would entail, OR  involved in the excitement of a yearly (or so) top of the table scrap in the Championship ? Both scenarios had their devotees.It would be quite interesting, particularly on the back of this thread, to re-run those threads from 2013 and see whether each set of devotees have changed their minds, or are still of a similar view, particularly as the unpalatable third option has now hoved into view......ie mid table mediocrity in the Championship.Another salutory lesson in being careful what you wish for, perhaps ?

For the first time ever last year this time I thought long and hard about not renewing my seadon ticket. It was a tediously boring seadon with poor negative football which wasn''t working.

The fans were at each other about sticking with or sacking Hughton.......well three managers on the fans are still at each other.

Football has become a TV based entertainment and taken away ftom the fans......its all about money agents and jumping to the next huge payday...not much loyalty.

I don''t have much time for any of our players they are just employees of my club, they will be long gone when I''m still here.

So while clubs of our size don''t have sugar daddy''s to cover huge bills we will always be going nowhere.....not until fair rules come in with the same limitations for all clubs in each league.....giving every club a chance.....that will never happen!

I''m not sure which camp I fall in to, I''m certainly not a happy clapper and contrary to what some state I''m also not a troll, I think I fall into some sort of given up realist when it comes to these kind of things?!

I''ve had a season ticket for lots of years, saw the highs and suffered the lows like a lot on here, however, this year for the first time I question whether I want to renew, it used to be a great few hours out with my son, who incidentally now gets bored watching Norwich and I use him as a barometer, yes kids get bored very easily and not normally when there is a buzz of atmosphere, great game to watch etc etc.

I wouldn''t say we''re going nowhere, think we have just stalled on our journey or reached a crossroads?!

Being a philosophical old so and so, I think we are going through what a lot of clubs other than the money boys go through, and that''s a lull.

I''m a fairly easy fan to please, I won''t boo our players as everyone has a bad game, and for some it can last a few, I will give my view if I think a ref is rubbish but as long as I can see that we are playing some good football, getting results, putting the effort in when we lose then I can''t ask for much more.

No team has a given right to win anything, passion and desire is a must in any team and without it, teams will fail.

I think (my opinion before my friend comes on and accuses me of making stuff up, irony.....) is that we have lost some of that passionate and desire not only on the pitch but also in the stand and the 2 absolutely go together hand in hand.

[quote user="Shyster"]Then pardon me all over the place for preferring to look where Southampton & Swansea are at.[/quote]
But, Shyster; every team from lower half of the EPL down to the Conference and further are looking at where Southampton and Swansea are now. Why should we expect to achieve what they have above all the other competitors? And will you still be looking at what Southampton and Swansea are doing if the wheels were to fall off for them over the next five years, or will you just ''look'' at whichever team is on a good run at the time and base our aspirations on them instead? Or do you confidently expect that Southampton and Swansea will be comfortably top-half EPL teams for all eternity and every other team below them must be run by incompetent idiots for failing to emulate them?
Our time will come again; as will others''. To expect to be in the EPL and performing well for the rest of our existence is unrealistic. To hiss and boo and stamp our feet when it isn''t going our way is, imoho, puerile.

Oh if only we were Southampton or swansea

Oh the pain!

The pain of it all!

[quote user="Shyster"]westcoastcanary -- ''They have not been hampered by the unsettling effects of relegation and have been building steadily over a number of seasons to reach this point. Instead of this guff about where we "should" be and who we "should" be above, people need to look at where Cardiff, Wigan, Fulham, Blackburn, Birmingham and others are.''

Then pardon me all over the place for preferring to look where Southampton & Swansea are at.[/quote]Have you analysed the reasons why Swansea and Southampton have survived and progressed in the PL in contrast to ourselves and others? Everyone can see where those two clubs are; does it mean we "should" be there too?

[quote user="Chip20"][quote user="Shyster"]Then pardon me all over the place for preferring to look where Southampton & Swansea are at.[/quote]
But, Shyster; every team from lower half of the EPL down to the Conference and further are looking at where Southampton and Swansea are now. Why should we expect to achieve what they have above all the other competitors? And will you still be looking at what Southampton and Swansea are doing if the wheels were to fall off for them over the next five years, or will you just ''look'' at whichever team is on a good run at the time and base our aspirations on them instead? Or do you confidently expect that Southampton and Swansea will be comfortably top-half EPL teams for all eternity and every other team below them must be run by incompetent idiots for failing to emulate them?
Our time will come again; as will others''. To expect to be in the EPL and performing well for the rest of our existence is unrealistic. To hiss and boo and stamp our feet when it isn''t going our way is, imoho, puerile.

[/quote]

And remember....it wasn''t that long ago that Charlton were being touted as the team to aspire to!

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Shyster"]westcoastcanary -- ''They have not been hampered by the unsettling effects of relegation and have been building steadily over a number of seasons to reach this point. Instead of this guff about where we "should" be and who we "should" be above, people need to look at where Cardiff, Wigan, Fulham, Blackburn, Birmingham and others are.'' Then pardon me all over the place for preferring to look where Southampton & Swansea are at.[/quote]

Have you analysed the reasons why Swansea and Southampton have survived and progressed in the PL in contrast to ourselves and others? Everyone can see where those two clubs are; does it mean we "should" be there too?
[/quote]

When Southampton got promoted, they had a strikeforce which consisted of 3 players (Ramirez, Osvaldo & Rodriguez) who they had signed that summer which totalled roughly around £37m pound. Not really a fair comparison is it.

Swansea are the exception to the rule, they have done incredibly well and fair play to them.

Problem I have is some people like the OP are speaking as if we''re facing relegation this season, as opposed to the reality which is we''re challenging for the play-offs.

And on top of that, everyone on here claims it''s because of poor managerial decisions etc etc.
So WHY are you all taking it out on our current squad of players and our new manager? Booing a fairly clear decision of subbing a tired Hooper for Hoolahan? Are you all fucking insane? What the fuck gives you the right to do that?
Especially when it''s the same wankers in the snakepit who were chanting for Wes to come on in the first place!
The club''s made poor management decisions - i don''t understand the benefit of making it worse by bringing a poor atmosphere into carrow road.

[quote user="Shyster"]westcoastcanary -- ''They have not been hampered by the unsettling effects of relegation and have been building steadily over a number of seasons to reach this point. Instead of this guff about where we "should" be and who we "should" be above, people need to look at where Cardiff, Wigan, Fulham, Blackburn, Birmingham and others are.''

Then pardon me all over the place for preferring to look where Southampton & Swansea are at.[/quote]Which bit of Southampton being taken over by a Swiss multi-millionaire who promptly paid off all their debts did you not understand?

Booing these fairly simple decisions was what was most shocking to me.

I''m just hoping that the people that did boo and moan and generally drag the clubs name through the dirt realise what they did was pointless, self serving and not in the interests of the progression of this football club.

Derby day is just around the corner, for gods sake man up and put your games faces on.

Your club needs you.