Sign in to follow this  
daly

6 Nations Rugby National Anthem

Nice to see every player singing the National Anthem and knowing the words and showing the passion for their countries.Bit different from Rooney and his crowd

!0-0 to Wales  after 9 mins

Too right, thank heavens there wasn''t any high pitched Opera stars, practising their skills. Leave it to the deep voices to stir the emotions up.

I don''t care where this thread should be, or if it''s NCFC related or not, that was a great result, controlled the game 2nd half

Great to see England win at anything, especially so given the hype for Wales - but rugby is and always will be a pretty stupid game and a very poor relation to football.

Branston Pickle wrote the following post at 06/02/2015 10:58 PM:

Great to see England win at anything, especially so given the hype for Wales - but rugby is and always will be a pretty stupid game and a very poor relation to football.

Another mindless thread from a Pinkun Troll - the board is packed with them

Superb result by England against a nation that has rugby as its no 1 national sport

What a moron BP is - he will be saying Delia is great next ?

[quote user="Newton"]a nation that has rugby as its no 1 national sport[/quote]I thought it had something to do with sheep......

quote user="Branston Pickle"]Great to see England win at anything, especially so given the hype for Wales - but rugby is and always will be a pretty stupid game and a very poor relation to football.[/quote

Why do you say that Branston?

I just don''t get it Crabby, and if it hadn''t been for the coverage in the news during the day yesterday, it would have slipped past me unnoticed like most Rugby matches.

Daz - I think (imho) that it''s one of those sports that unless you have played it you really dont fully understand it.

One of the Welsh guys yesterday, Geoge North, got kicked in the head and then hit the deck whilst looking like he was out cold, he got treated and went back for more!

Is it wrong to only enjoy watching it for the crunching tackles! The England no.8 was a beast of a man!

I don''t question the commitment Rich, hell no, it''s entertainment value however, I just don''t get it, I have watched the odd game over the years and each time I ask myself where is the skill, the flair, the technical application?

Undoubtedly there will greater exponents of the game, but I think skill and entertainment wise it is a game that is way behind many others.

Agree Daz.

Rugby League is better to watch, they only get 5 tackles so they have to try and do something different to get away and score so there is flair in League.

With union it seems as though the heaviest pack wil look to drive the ball over the line so that''s more about bulk and weight and less about speed and flair.

Having said that 2nd England try was skilfully done last night.

Oh sod off Newton, the board bore, I am not a troll and never have been and if you ever want to see a moron I''m sure there are mirrors somewhere in your ''home''. This is, first and foremost, a football forum for Norwich fans to discuss their club. Given this, is it not remotely surprising that there are some who aren''t huge fans of rugby?

I don''t mind the game, played and watched it many times - as with many of us I''ll pretty much do any sport that''s on - but it will always be a too ''manufactured'' game for me, with too many stupid rules where even those playing/commentating don''t know why decisions have been made; there are completely stupid elements, too - the guy with the head injury should have been off to hospital, not carrying on, and why the hell did the clock carry on running down for 2-3 minutes while he was treated?

But as ever, it is good to see England win at anything

That''s my problem with it Branston. So many laws and rules make it far too confusing and hard to follow (like American Football). I have sat watching it, getting explanations from mates on what''s going on, and still finish the game none the wiser.Well done to England, and England rugby fans, but i will stick with football and cricket.

I disagree about the differences between League and Union.

League players could learn so much from Union about for example, running lines, and offloading the ball before the tackle, but League players seem to put more emphasis on going into to try and ''bust'' the tackle, as they don''t have to worry about recycling the ball. League players are physical ''beasts'', but haven''t got the game ''brains'' of Union players

After 5 tackles, it''s more about kicking it and half the time, it''s to  try and get lucky with it. There are (potentially) a  lot more phases in a Union attack, therefore needs a lot more thought.

Daz, there are a wide range of components to a Union team (as say, opposed to a football team) and various subtleties and nuances, that make it fascinating (to me!) in a sport that goes at 100 miles an hour. There is the already mentioned, physical side of Football and Rugby, and, as much as I love both sports, the feigning of injury in Football, appals me. Football, by numerical definition is the biggest sport on the Planet, but it could learn so much from other sports, and Rugby is definitely one of them.

Can''t argue with the feigning of injury Crabby, and the other gamesmanship that appears in football, but hard as I try I can''t see past the use of strength and power being the overwhelming force in winning the game.

I''m with Herman on the football and cricket. And as many will fail to see the attraction of cricket as a spectator sport I guess that sort consolidates the argument for rugby.

That''s absolutely fine Daz, and I am not here to try and convert people, just to help explain to them a bit more on it.

Although I am struggling to understand Branston''s explanation of why he has played and watched, Rugby a few times ,and watched it last night, if he thought it is stupid. Life is too short to waste your time on stupid things BP!! :)

As for going to hospital, why? Just because there was a show of blood, doesn''t mean hospitalisation is required. In the old days (before blood bins) , I have played with a broken nose for most of a game. Adrenalin/wanting to play was my driving force then, and if you are playing for your Country , then that feeling must be tenfold, and you certainly do not want to go off easily. (I wish International footballers would learn a thing or two from that!)

I find things like Ballet and Opera not holding my interest at all, but I will respect those that do get enjoyment from it, without calling it stupid.

We are all different

[quote user="Herman "]That''s my problem with it Branston. So many laws and rules make it far too confusing and hard to follow (like American Football). I have sat watching it, getting explanations from mates on what''s going on, and still finish the game none the wiser.Well done to England, and England rugby fans, but i will stick with football and cricket.[/quote]Rugby to me is a game that has been hyped up out of all proportion over

the last few years, a minority sport played to an apparent  high level

by only a few countries in the world - and as Herman says, not immediately accessible

to a lot of people who just don''t get and who never will.  I''ve tried

to get into it over the years and just can''t.   Mind you I think the same about watching paint dry..........I mean cricket........[:P]

As I said, I''ll happily do most sport, rugby''s not normally a bad watch but can be awful (and worse than a dire 0-0 in footy). I have to say one of its issues is the belittling of head injuries, something that is quite ''big'' right now.

I do know quite a bit about the game though and my biggest annoyance is some of the rules/interpretations that are just too ''blurry'' (eg releasing the ball, rolling away etc) - a friend plays for Esher (a good standard) and says the interpretation is always far more flexible the higher up you go, but should be consistent.

But as we all say, it''s horses for courses, we don''t all love the same things - I''m with others and will stick with preferring cricket and footy (and tennis)!

The thing I like best about Rugby is - thick people just don''t get it.

When you talk rugby with someone in the pub you know you are having a conversation with a reasonably intelligent individual.

The polar opposite infact to football when ''Ingerland'' play and the pub is full of mostly ignorant cnuts who have never been to a professional game in their lives. Remind you of anyone on here?!!

As for some of you saying last night''s thrilling game wasn''t entertaining I''m hardly surprised. I know you''ll be the same happy clapping muppets who cheer Norwich whatever dross our Board and our team serve us up.

I bet you were sad when Crossroads ended!

[quote user="ruthers1"]The thing I like best about Rugby is - thick people just don''t get it.

When you talk rugby with someone in the pub you know you are having a conversation with a reasonably intelligent individual.

The polar opposite infact to football when ''Ingerland'' play and the pub is full of mostly ignorant cnuts who have never been to a professional game in their lives. Remind you of anyone on here?!!

As for some of you saying last night''s thrilling game wasn''t entertaining I''m hardly surprised. I know you''ll be the same happy clapping muppets who cheer Norwich whatever dross our Board and our team serve us up.

I bet you were sad when Crossroads ended![/quote]

Yes, you,strangely.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "]That''s my problem with it Branston. So many laws and rules make it far too confusing and hard to follow (like American Football). I have sat watching it, getting explanations from mates on what''s going on, and still finish the game none the wiser.Well done to England, and England rugby fans, but i will stick with football and cricket.[/quote]Rugby to me is a game that has been hyped up out of all proportion over

by only a few countries in the world - and as Herman says, not immediately accessible

to get into it over the years and just can''t.   Mind you I think the same about watching paint dry..........I mean cricket........[:P]

[/quote]
You see LDC I find Cricket a fascinating sport, it can be very exciting especially when a test match is on knife edge. But hey, despite us all being City fans on here, that''s probably where the similarities end. Not that you''d ever notice on here. 

[quote user="Daz Sparks"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "]That''s my problem with it Branston. So many laws and rules make it far too confusing and hard to follow (like American Football). I have sat watching it, getting explanations from mates on what''s going on, and still finish the game none the wiser.Well done to England, and England rugby fans, but i will stick with football and cricket.[/quote]Rugby to me is a game that has been hyped up out of all proportion over

to get into it over the years and just can''t.   Mind you I think the same about watching paint dry..........I mean cricket........[:P][/quote]
You see LDC I find Cricket a fascinating sport, it can be very exciting especially when a test match is on knife edge. But hey, despite us all being City fans on here, that''s probably where the similarities end. Not that you''d ever notice on here. 
[/quote]

I used to follow cricket years ago, but the playboy antics of Gower and co on tour switched me off completely.  The proceeding years of antics of  drunken sportsmen like hero Freddie Flintoff haven''t done it any favours.

Although I am more with Daz''s opinion I can understand why cricket isn''t that popular with the general public. It''s not that hard to understand but the slowness of it can be off putting. Unfortunalely it needs more series like the ''05 Ashes before it will click with  many.

Oh, I think cricket is undoubtedly horribly tedious if you aren''t into it, I''ve loved the game all my life but and I fully understand people not ''getting'' it (though the slowness of play in test matches annoys me) just as people ought to be able to understand others not ''getting'' rugby.