Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

Sensible question.....what do we think the result will be today?

I think we are all expecting a win Rich, and many seem to think we will win comfortably. I see it being a win but maybe not by a big margin, but the 3 pts will be welcome whatever.

I expect a very comfortable win, but what we get could be far less comfortable when looking at the roller coaster ride we have had so far this season.

I had a dream that it is going to be a draw. That''ll keep this forum very busy for another week or so.

At first thought I wanted a big win, but I think our future would be better if we had close competitive matches with consistent performances and positive results.  2-1 I think would be good and then similar 1-0''s, 2-1''s for the rest of the season.  Big wins lead to more expectation of the same every week, then inevitable disappointment when they don''t happen.

Easy 3 points.Blackpool are awful.If we can''t beat these comfortably then we may as well give up on the season.

I am thinking a win, but only a narrow one. 1-0 or 2-0 perhaps at best.From a player perspective, I do think the key here is infact respect. We have to go into this game respecting Blackpool and not assuming we will win. That could be fatal. Yes they are in a hell of a muddle, but they are still in the same league as us. After all, a struggling wounded animal can have the worst bite.

[quote user="JB"]I am thinking a win, but only a narrow one. 1-0 or 2-0 perhaps at best.From a player perspective, I do think the key here is infact respect. We have to go into this game respecting Blackpool and not assuming we will win. That could be fatal. Yes they are in a hell of a muddle, but they are still in the same league as us. After all, a struggling wounded animal can have the worst bite.[/quote]We have had a successful transfer window, not losing any of our best players, we have added a potentially exciting attacking player. We have Howson back from injury. We can hopefully name a settled defence. Hopefully Jerome will be fully fit again.Sorry but I want to see a statement of intent and confidence.

I''m kind of with you Morty, a nice confidence boosting result is always important for morale but that can also breed arrogance/over-confidence and then they can become sloppy.

Agree with others, 3 points is important but I wonder how damaging it would be to morale if they nicked a 1-0, yes fans want 3 points, players need confidence and grinding our a 1-0 vs the team at the bottom doesn''t inspire for future games.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]I''m kind of with you Morty, a nice confidence boosting result is always important for morale but that can also breed arrogance/over-confidence and then they can become sloppy.

Agree with others, 3 points is important but I wonder how damaging it would be to morale if they nicked a 1-0, yes fans want 3 points, players need confidence and grinding our a 1-0 vs the team at the bottom doesn''t inspire for future games.[/quote]I doubt very much that one decent win will see the players strutting around like they expect to win the league.

Rich, I don''t honestly see that winning could damage morale. Maybe you could argue that 4-0 would boost morale more than 1-0, but any win is a boost.

Herman, I think we must have eaten the same cheese, as I had a dream last night, of us drawing 1-1 against a struggling team

Last time I had a football dream we were going to win 6-0, but could only win 6-1!

A comfortable win you would think, but we have blown these situations already this season, so there can be no more repeats of those days.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]3 points is important but I wonder how damaging it would be to morale if they nicked a 1-0, yes fans want 3 points, players need confidence and grinding our a 1-0 vs the team at the bottom doesn''t inspire for future games.[/quote]

Blackpool will be no pushover.  Won last week, won in the cup against AV.   Renewed belief and as we know - no match is a given.  Scraping a 1-0 would be ok - as long as the performance justified why it was 1-0 - ie - because Blackpool competed well and imo they will.  A win is a win is a win.

A win today is crucial, hopefully a big win may worry Wolves which is a huge game the week after, i think they are top of the current form table.

[quote user="Daz Sparks"]Rich, I don''t honestly see that winning could damage morale. Maybe you could argue that 4-0 would boost morale more than 1-0, but any win is a boost.[/quote]Hmm...... around Christmas time we had back to back 5-0 and 6-1 wins, but that did not exactly boost morale did it ? Within days, we''d been outclassed at Reading , been turfed out of the cup at Preston and Adams had gone.So, Daz, I''d agree with your second point. We''ve got to the point this season where only wins will do. AN alludes to that in the press this morning. Really do not care how they are achieved, so long as 3 pts is the outcome, whether it''s Blackpool or Derby (or even Ipswich !!)

Reggie, makes perfect sense to me, and sounds like AN may be thinking along same lines. Winning ugly is better than dropping points. Once that whistle blows at full time and the win is recorded the performance to the average fan holds much less importance.

I see exactly where you''re coming from with big wins we had followed by the bad performances against Reading and Preston, had we won all 4 by just one goal, Adams would still be here and we may well have been very much closer to the auto slots.

Howson is an interesting one.   I too am pleased he is back and have picked him in my side.   Yet

as a team this season (but the same applies for the previous two too) with him in the side we win fewer of the available points per start.   

We have not yet kept a clean sheet with him in the central midfield position (either def or more attacking) with his two coming when out right and we concede significantly more goals per game with him than without.

So I pick him despite making the team worse for games won, games lost,  points won,  goals conceded even though his number of goals scored, key passes and assists are not enough to make up for that.    

Does he just look good and only become effective when the game is already won?

PS - anything bar a win is a bad result today.    Its been a while since we beat them at home so the omens are not good.

But I am confident of a win.

our flat track bullies usually manage to turn it on against bottom feeders and teams with 10 men so i expect a comfortable win... it''s when a team stands up to them and has a go back that they go into there shell and put in an awful performance