Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Blackpool

At the end of a week when this Forum has been alive with discussions about booing, it is heartening to report that none were heard today and indeed, none were necessary. The lesson seem to have been learned that you can''t play in this league without a strong midfield and the inclusion of Howson certainly stiffened this area.It was cold, grey and damp as City kicked off towards the Barclay end and we were treated to a scrappy opening five minutes before Grabben had a sniff at a chance from Bassong''s long ball. The City striker didn''t connect cleanly and the resultant weak effort trickled through to the Blackpool keeper. At the other end the defence didn''t look entirely convincing and were almost caught out a couple of times due to some iffy passing.City finally got into their grove in the 12th minute when a couple of quick midfield passes gave Howson the opportunity to set Hooper away on goal. The City striker was as cool as a cucumber, making space and time for himself before rifling the ball under the advancing Parish, to set the Canaries on their way. City were now clearly dominating and it was plain to see that Blackpool were a pretty poor side with relegation written all over them. Unfortunately Bassong seemed to hurt his back in an innocuous clash and had to be replaced by Turner just before the twenty minute mark.The next goal was not long in coming however and it was a masterclass of quick incisive passing and finishing. With Redmond, Wes and Whitaker involved, City sliced through a static Blackpool defence before Hooper again was on the spot to hammer a low shot into the corner. Confidence was now high and minutes later Whits again crossed early for the inrushing Grabben. The ball looked destined for the top corner only for Parish to somehow touch it onto post and bar before it was scrambled away.For the next ten minutes or so it got frustratingly scrappy again with City guilty of over elaborating when something more direct might have brought better results. Johnson was totally dominant in the middle and a couple of his long passes were really classy but Redmond was below his best and  wasted one decent chance with a poor shot and another by cutting across the penalty area and playing the rest of the strikers offside. Grabben really ought to have made it game set and match just before the break but somehow contrived to balloon Whitakers early ball over the bar from six yards.So halftime arrived with a satisfactory lead although in my opinion City really should have been further clear taking into account the chances and balance of play.The second period began with a rush as several times City threatened to extend their league only to waste their chances with more over intricate passing inside the Blackpool area. Thankfully the game was done and dusted on 56 minutes when Grabben was fouled in the box and Hooper stepped up to complete his hatrick with an emphatic finish to the keeper''s right. Within seconds of the restart it should have been four when Hooper rushed forward and fed Grabben only for Parish to save well at the near post. Then Grabben was there again with a smart turn and pass that Redmond ought to have done better than blaze wildly into the crowd.With twenty minutes left, first Wes, then Grabben departed and we had our first look at Tony Andreu. He looked quite neat and tidy but it would be no exaggeration to say that the game died a death from here on in. Things got very scrappy and despite some back chanting between Snakepit and Barclay it got awfully quiet at times. Johnson treated us to a sublime fifty yard pass only for Redmond to slip on his backside and Howson had a couple of forward surges only to spoil it with wayward passes.A proper stamp was finally put on things in injury time when Redmond produced a stunning 25 yard free kick that left Parish grasping fresh air as the ball arrowed past him. So in the end a satisfactory result and although City had been at their best only in spasms it was more than enough to take the points from a Blackpool team that is surely headed for league one.Hoop''s my man of the match for his strikers masterclass and good marks also for Johnson and Hoolahan who was always a handful. It''s also nice to report that Whits redeemed himself with a decent game today and received good applause from the crowd for his all round good work

Cheers R.

Was delighted with the work rate today, talent is nothing without graft and we got plenty of that today. Signs that AN has the attention of the squad.

Good report Ricardo, never ceases  to amaze me how you remember all salient points.
Yes, I agree with the work rate comment, there were very few times that the player with the ball didn''t have options, I for one witnessed plenty off the ball running.
Also Bassong looked very assured for the short time he was on, although Turner certainly stepped up to the mark as his replacement.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Cheers R.

Was delighted with the work rate today, talent is nothing without graft and we got plenty of that today. Signs that AN has the attention of the squad.[/quote]Yes, couldn''t fault the effort put in.There were short periods of quite scintillating stuff but they couldn''t maintain it for long enough.

Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 07/02/2015 7:13 PM:

Cheers R.

Was delighted with the work rate today, talent is nothing without graft and we got plenty of that today. Signs that AN has the attention of the squad.

Was really pleased with the energy, movement off the ball, pressing, tracking back and desire today, it looks to me as if the squad are happy and wanting to play.

Great to see AN out on the pitch with the players during the warm up.

Early days of course but my impression is that things are beginning to gell between manager and players, bodes well for the end of the season.

As Ricky said, only showed good stuff in spells during the game, loads to work on and develop but my impression is that we there is a good spirit in the camp.

Although scrappy at times, I felt Blackpool lacked any sort of steel really.At times players like O''Hara and later Delfonso showed glimpses of the potential they had promised earlier in their careers.How did you feel about the Grabban for Jerome substitution Ricardo? I was a bit surprised, and I think it was around 66mins that it happened. Hooper had done very little in the second half up to that point. And as you say, bar a real burst of energy from Andreu when he came on, the third goal and the subs really seemed to drain the fight from the game.We sat off a bit more, and they really didn''t have a lot to hurt us. Their left back did reasonably well with Redmond. I couldn''t make out if he was quick or if Redmond wasn''t up to speed today? My feeling is that Grabben coming off, was the main reason for this as he was 100% spot on today.

[quote user="chicken"]Although scrappy at times, I felt Blackpool lacked any sort of steel really.At times players like O''Hara and later Delfonso showed glimpses of the potential they had promised earlier in their careers.How did you feel about the Grabban for Jerome substitution Ricardo? I was a bit surprised, and I think it was around 66mins that it happened. Hooper had done very little in the second half up to that point. And as you say, bar a real burst of energy from Andreu when he came on, the third goal and the subs really seemed to drain the fight from the game.We sat off a bit more, and they really didn''t have a lot to hurt us. Their left back did reasonably well with Redmond. I couldn''t make out if he was quick or if Redmond wasn''t up to speed today? My feeling is that Grabben coming off, was the main reason for this as he was 100% spot on today. [/quote]My feelings exactly Chicken. Apart from the late goal the last twenty minutes were a wasted opportunity and at my end people were streaming out long before the end which is unusual.Yes, their left back seemed to have the measure of Redmond although the little man did have the last laugh.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]"at my end people were streaming out long before the end which is unusual."

Yeah, I would definitely see a doctor about that.[/quote]I was wearing my long thermals so it didn''t show[Y]

Today was the first time we have seen Alex Neil''s stamp on the team - high intensity and pressing. Hadn''t realised so many of the crosses were Whittakers (was sitting lower than normal today meaning crosser was obscured by goal nets) - take note boo boys! Hang your heads in shame.

If they show the Grabban effort that was tipped onto the post/bar on the highlights, please note how good he made that cross look. He hit it on the volley, at between shin and knee height as it dropped. It was a poor cross that really only gave him a half chance. Technically a very difficult situation to get a shot on target. Their keeper did very well. Grabban deserved better.

I was quite taken a back by some of our intricate play and the 2nd goal was quite outstanding. Hoolahan was terrific and we definitely lost something when he was subbed. Grabban worked his socks off and we look so much better with Howson back in the team. We just need to sustain those periods of brilliance for longer periods of the game. OTBC.

Ricardo, I''ve never seen so many leaving before the end either. But I think it was more to do with that tannoy announcement about having to leave via the touchline.

They all got up when that was broadcast. Although not sure how the upper level thought they would finish up on the touchline.

That was ridiculous Mind The Gap. Under normal conditions you don''t get a quarter of those leaving early, but that tannoy seemed to start a veritable stampede!

It got to appoint when people couldn''t see because of the exitees, and there were a couple of confrontations and lots of swear words. It''s not the easiest of stands to leave quickly from, but people seemed to almost panic to get away 

Mind the gap wrote the following post at 07/02/2015 10:28 PM:

Ricardo, I''ve never seen so many leaving before the end either. But I think it was more to do with that tannoy announcement about having to leave via the touchline.

I didn''t notice a tannoy announcement, what''s all that about?

In the Lower River End there was a flood of water just at the end of half time, making it impossible to go that way, hence the need for fans to leave from the front of the stand.

Aah, that''s what it was. There was a mention of a commotion down that end. Nothing too serious by the sounds of it.

quote user="Herman "]Aah, that''s what it was. There was a mention of a commotion down that end. Nothing too serious by the sounds of it.
[/quote

It just seemed to set off a mass exit. There was a coming together of two fans, when one, who was leaving, stood in front, of another, who was staying, words, were exchanged, and the stewards had to separate them. Didn''t actually see any punches, but it was a strange few minutes

Thanks Ricardo - as interesting as ever. I pay more attention to your report than to anything in the press!Mr Jenkins - if your theory is right (i.e. River in the River End, snakes in the snakepit) - do you predict money in the Barclay after that? Certainly a more attractive proposition that floods and snakes.

Well the frustrated people who couldn''t see the added on time from the riverend got a taste of what its like every week in the blankets. The guy next to me was astounded. But as we pointed out to him the early leavers are more important than us and they do have the traffic to beat! Thing is, although they need to leave early if Norwich attack they need to watch that too so instead of walking in front of us they stand in front of us. There''s plenty of swearing and threats of violence in the blankets too. My magic moment was when one of the early leavers seemed to think telling us he was from Mile Cross somehow made him even more important than us......

[quote user="morty"]Ahhhhhh, the passing for that second goal, lovely[:)]Clicky[/quote]Have to say the passing for the first goal was special too.Penalty a bit soft, and the goalie seemed to give up.Redmond''s was exquisite. No goalie would stand a chance.Marvellous.

There were people leaving as early as 15-20mins to go. I guess they had had enough of the cold and felt that the game as a contest was over. However, as I said in a text to my father in law, there were more goals there for the taking if we wanted them. It''s a shame it took so long to prove that but it was a bloody good free kick so I won''t complain.Mind you, I got the impression people were a bit slow out of the concorse at half time as well. Play got underway again and it felt like the crowd hadn''t really taken to their seats or their voices yet, almost like a bit of a surprise.However, as that highlight video shows, Gary Holt was in shorts in the dugout all game. The man is a true warrior if you ask me. That is one chap I would not block the line of site of . . .. .