Sign in to follow this  
Maccys Back

BT and SKY football rights,

Brought for £5.136Billion, that''s 10.2million per game, up from 6.53million per game. How much did sticking with Chris Hughton cost us?? Answer a bloody fortune

Getting away from playing silly blame games, Scudamore quite happily admitted that the gap between the Prem and the Championship would increase. And appeared to not give a jot.

Don''t be stupid, we stuck with him far too long. No doubt it wasn''t long enough for you miggins you super fan happy clappy serve me any dross an lap it uppy

While it was inevitable it still annoys me to see an increase in the already obscene amount of money being pumped into the Premiership.

Whilst it enables this country to attract some of the world''s top players and coaches it also contributes significantly to many of football''s ills; overpaid players, fat cat agents, overpriced tickets, crap kick off times, more diving & cheating, irritating 24/7 ''news'' coverage, devaluation of the England side, lower league clubs gambling themselves into financial trouble, overpriced merchandise etc etc. The whole thing is a circus which a small part of me is glad that we are no longer involved in.

Although a negative for us at present, the one saving grace is that relegated sides rarely bounce straight back thus preventing it becoming a closed shop. And at least the money is spread reasonably evenly amongst the twenty clubs so we don''t have the kind of farce that La Liga do.

I hope the clubs use this money to reduce the ticket prices, they must be a small fraction of their income now. Ridiculous amount of money but if you can''t beat them, join them. We really must go up this season.

It''s no less stupid to suggest we''d have stayed up if we''d stuck with Hughton than to say we''d have stayed up if we''d changed earlier. They''re both total unknowns.

If they aren''t careful it will just be a nail in the coffin of football as a proper competitive thing in this country - as it is there''s only a handful of sides capable of winning anything. And even if the PL clubs do pass on the revenue to fans in the form of reduced entry prices, where would that leave all the other league clubs?

What I can''t understand is why there''s not a bigger market for the game at CCC level - it is far more competitive in the true sense of the word....when we were in the PL I was largely bored by most of the other games and was far more likely to watch the Football League Show than MOTD.

It would be if SKY created the demand for the Championship. But that''s unlikely whilst they create such a huge demand for the EPL.

[quote user="JF"]I hope the clubs use this money to reduce the ticket prices, they must be a small fraction of their income now. Ridiculous amount of money but if you can''t beat them, join them. We really must go up this season.[/quote]

The money will go straight into the same agents and players pockets with no discernible improvement in the English game.There is absolutely zero chance the fans will see a ticket reduction.

When you take the overseas rights into account the total will be around the £8 billion mark. This makes the decision to appoint Neil Adams as manager for this season seem an even greater gamble given this was probably our best chance to return to the gravy train. However we can''t change that so now it is even more imperative that we finish in the play offs and win them.

[quote user="Gordon Bennett"]While it was inevitable it still annoys me to see an increase in the already obscene amount of money being pumped into the Premiership.

Whilst it enables this country to attract some of the world''s top players and coaches it also contributes significantly to many of football''s ills; overpaid players, fat cat agents, overpriced tickets, crap kick off times, more diving & cheating, irritating 24/7 ''news'' coverage, devaluation of the England side, lower league clubs gambling themselves into financial trouble, overpriced merchandise etc etc. The whole thing is a circus which a small part of me is glad that we are no longer involved in.

Although a negative for us at present, the one saving grace is that relegated sides rarely bounce straight back thus preventing it becoming a closed shop.
And at least the money is spread reasonably evenly amongst the twenty clubs so we don''t have the kind of farce that La Liga do.[/quote]Apropos that it will be interesting to see what happens to the parachute payments. A rough calculation has them having risen in the last two changes from £32m to £48m to £60m.Again roughly, at the moment the range of annual income from TV for Premier League clubs is from £60m to £95m. According to the Daily Mail the new deal should see that range increase to from £100m to £150m.If that high level of absolute and percentage increase gets reflected in the next series of parachute payments then there may be a consequent rise in the number of clubs bouncing straight back.

[quote user="Gordon Bennett"]While it was inevitable it still annoys me to see an increase in the already obscene amount of money being pumped into the Premiership. Whilst it enables this country to attract some of the world''s top players and coaches it also contributes significantly to many of football''s ills; overpaid players, fat cat agents, overpriced tickets, crap kick off times, more diving & cheating, irritating 24/7 ''news'' coverage, devaluation of the England side, lower league clubs gambling themselves into financial trouble, overpriced merchandise etc etc.[/quote]

absolutely spot on, possibly the best comment I''ve ever seen on this forum. The FA and those who make the decision should enforce that a proportion of the money goes to the development of the game at lower levels, including the Championship.

The Premiership was created because the top clubs didn''t want to share their revenue with the Football League, It''s worked out better than anyone could have imagined !

and despite all this extra TV money, parachute payments, more revenue.. they still expect us to pay over the odds for tickets.. £45 per game.. really?

something stinks here.

And I bet more clubs will end up in debt than ever before either chasing the dream or trying to avoid relegation. It''s a vicious circle. Only winner is the players and their bank balances.

The premier league could put in place a scheme whereby if a club takes the money offered by them via tv rights etc. through the EPL body, they are to comply with placing a cap (max) for standard ticket prices as this is an incredible subsidy for the running costs of the club, previously pocketed by the supporters.

I say this as:

1. It IS directly giving back to the supporters, and will ensure that atmosphere at clubs remain - without that the EPL is not saleable.

2. It would be an added incentive for clubs to finish in higher positions if their income is not only increased through the current incentives, but they can (if they want) increase the ticket prices for the next season based on quality of results.

Heck, they could even base it on a factor of league position, number of goals and average attendances if they really wanted to hang an incentive on clubs to be more attacking and to develop an atmosphere for the cameras.