England Under-21 striker David Bentley has asked for a transfer from Arsenal due to a lack of opportunities. (Daily Mail, Daily Mirror)

Interesting?

The Old Catton Veteran''s, (over 60''s) would be quite interested in this young chap........

Seriously, £200.000 and no more for ''shooty boots'' (if he wishes to return to NCFC full-time).

..he can stay at Arsenal!  There''s no room for showboating in the Fizzy league, we need players that will get stuck in.  Marney will be a far better - committed - player than Bentley ever will be.

I think iut would be worth finding out how much wenger wants fro him. Anything under about £900,000 would probably be money well spent. Marney won''t be here forever, and bentley has some creativity that the team lacks.

Yes he looks to be a bit of a showboater, but he is young and he will learn. 

i) Would be want him, the last week everyone has being saying how much better Marney is and how lightweight Bentley was.

ii) Would he want to come back?

Personally I think a midfield or Hux, Marney, Bentley, Safri looks abit too lightweight to me, 2 out of Hux/Marney/Bentley could play with Safri and one other but all three togeather and I think we''d start shipping goals by the shedloads as Hux/Bentley won''t be back to defend much.

Eldirch

[quote]England Under-21 striker David Bentley has asked for a transfer from Arsenal due to a lack of opportunities. (Daily Mail, Daily Mirror) Interesting?[/quote]

City looked a better side with him than without, but our issues are central midfield and defence and that is where we should spend our money - unless..... can Marney play with Safri in the middle and bents on the right, hmmm...

OTBC

if we could get him pretty cheep, bring him in.

Face it, although he is abit of a show boater, he is young and will learn. MArney wont be here forever and he is young and will last.

You can change players, look at Ronaldo for man utd and the player he is now, compaired to the player he was.

If he is going cheap, sign him!

I don''t think he was used well out there on the right, but he could be one solution to the creative midfielder slot. However I would not particularly feel that he would do a job now to get us out of this league. Perhaps in the Prem but we need scrappers and tacklers. Marney looks several times better than bentley was and I think we should save up for him instead if his form continues. So no thanks from me too.

Bring back Bentley, our right hand side is still weak,

Bentley on the right, Hucks on the left, think of the crosses into Ashton

anything less than the Francis fee received would be a bargain

[quote]i) Would be want him, the last week everyone has being saying how much better Marney is and how lightweight Bentley was. ii) Would he want to come back? Personally I think a midfield or Hux, Marney,...[/quote]

It could encourage other more secure formations, like a 4-2-3-1 with poor leon rather harshly dropped to move towards

Green

MLJ  Flem   Shacks  Drury

Hughes  Safri

bentley   Marney  Hux

Ashton

This would give a deep lieing 2 man defensive shield for th back 4 and a rapid response attack minded 4 who could interchange positions.  Marney seems to have the legs and willingness to defend deeper pushing hughes or safri leftish when defending and allowing bentley to cover wide right - he may not be a defender but he is 10 times more effective covering that role than hux on the left bless him.

Personally I would favour signing sidwell as well to replace hughes and this formation then looks very good.    

OTBC

I think he is definitely worth a look - even if it''s just to see how much he would cost.  If we can get him for less than £750 000, then its money well spent!!!

[quote]if we could get him pretty cheep, bring him in. Face it, although he is abit of a show boater, he is young and will learn. MArney wont be here forever and he is young and will last. You can change p...[/quote]

I understand he''s signing for West Ham in a 1 million pound deal, phew, thank Gawd for that!.

REALLY LIKE THE FORMATION IDEA ZLF! I THINK THAT WOULD CAUSE HAVOC IN THIS LEAGUE! IF WE CAN GET BENTLEY FOR HALF A MIL THEN OK, IF NOT (AND I THINK THIS IS MORE LIKELY) THEN THE MONEY MAY BE BETTER SPENT ELSEWHERE. I JUST DON''T THINK BENTLEY WILL WANT TO PLAY IN THE FIZZY.

[quote]I think he is definitely worth a look - even if it''s just to see how much he would cost. If we can get him for less than £750 000, then its money well spent!!![/quote]

What part of he''s signing for West Ham for 1 million, didn''t you understand guys!.

Well people this is an interesting situation!!!

If David wants to come to NCFC and play championship football with the view of being back in the premiership in a seasons time he will!!!

If he wants a challenge at this time of his career he will come to us and Mr Worthington will make it happen

If not he will go to someone like West Ham and try and prove to Arsenal in a petulant way that he is ready for Premiership action.

I think If he wants a challenge he will sign up.

David and Dean swapping roles from game to game from middle to right midfield? All depending on team selection at the time?

What is everyone''s thoughts?

[quote]What part of he''s signing for West Ham for 1 million, didn''t you understand guys!.[/quote]

Nothing on their official site about it, or anything on their forum..

If we would play him in a formation like ZLF suggests, get him. He looked out of position as RM if you ask me, he likes to play just off the striker, if we are going to stick with 4-4-2 I don''t think he will fit in here.

Wiz what is your source? If West Ham are interested, I would have thought he is much more likely to join them!

would love to see him back...but would have to change his ways a little!!  looked a player with bags of potential but we never saw much of it. worthy could be the guy to get it out of him?
no doubting he can create something out of nothing and a season in the fizzy would toughen him for the battle in the prem!

[quote]Nothing on their official site about it, or anything on their forum..[/quote]

Go to sky sports, planet football, Trent, or west ham mad, knees up mother brown message boards mate.

ignoring the issue of whether he would a: come here or b: we''d want him. Just to answer zip''s hypothetical marney can indeed play centre midfield, my tottenham supporting mate thinks that''s where his future might lie in the heart of midfield creating.

[quote]Go to sky sports, planet football, Trent, or west ham mad, knees up mother brown message boards mate.[/quote]

All I can find on Sky sports is: -

"Both Norwich and Crystal Palace have been linked with an ambitious attempt to secure Bentley''s services on a season-long loan deal, although Premiership outfit West Ham have been rumoured to be interested in clinching a permanent deal. "

You would think out of the three you would think he would go to West Ham, I doubt the championship would fit his ego, and he would want to stay in London.

[quote]Go to sky sports, planet football, Trent, or west ham mad, knees up mother brown message boards mate.[/quote]

Hmm perhaps the part i didnt understand was the part that never actually mentions a transfer fee.  Then again my eyes could be deceiving me!!!!

Read through the article properly next time 1st Wizard!

YES, he''s a great player creating quality crosses time and time again last year, sure when he arrived he was an arrogant little beggar, but he improved.As for all this criticism of him being a showboater, so what? Some times you need a bit of class to brighten up a dreary game, and i think he proved last season that he''s committed to hepling set up goals as much as wanting to go for them himself. Bring on the Bently

he has the ability to win games for us..as he proved AT TIMES last season. Yes he was also indifferent to...but we won more games with him than without.

In this league he would be a BIG asset!

Personally I dont see Bentley as a right midfielder, if you take that point of view and combine it with his first full season of football and the injuries he had I think Bentley did well for us.  I dont think he is as light weight as people suppose, I must admit in pre-season against that spanish side, when I saw the size of him I did wonder if his defensive side would be a little slack.  Of the 12 games I managed to get to see last season (all away, cant get tickets for home games and am in bristol) he was very strong in the tackle and composed on the ball.  In fact in alot of situations when our defence/midfield were panicking under attacking pressure he was one of the few still showing composure on the ball and I regularly watched him track back.

Anyway, I would love to see bentley come to Norwich and I personally would play him in central midfield alongside Safri/Jarret, him with orders to push forward and Safri/Jarret staying back in the holding role.

This guy has the touch, pass and vision to be the creative midfielder alot of you have being craving, I could see him very much operating in much the same way as Crook!  I can even see similiarities between the players if you take into account style and build.

A forward line of:

Ashton                 Mckensie

Huckerby           Bentley                   Safri/Jarret                Marney

Is a very exciting prospect with bags of ability.

I''m not suggesting for a minute that we dont need a central defender for when we go up but take a look at this:

Ashton                  Mckensie

Huckerby            Bentley                    Safri/Jarret                Marney

Dury                  CentralDefender          Shackell                  Colin/MLJ

Green

That is a very imposing team, if a little on the young side, think Leeds in the champs league days.  I would even go as far as stating with a decent central defender to partner shackell (perferably one with height and pace) and have a top 12 prem side there.

If we managed to get Bentley, i think his talents would be best utalised in the Chelski formation, simlar to what Zipper suggested...

................Green........................

Colin....Fleming....Shackell....Drury

......Marney....Safri....Bentley...

McKenzie.......Ashton........Huckerby

Remember last season around the Bolton game where we were playing this formation, Bentley caused havoc, and thats where he had his best games for us, he would also give us some1 who is comftable on the ball, and can pass it along with Safri, who also has the class, and Marney also has the workrate, id love to see that line up, even though Bentley and Hucks on the left would leave Drury a tad exposed. I also firmly believe that a year in the CCC would do Bentley the world of good, beause then he would have to add to the physical side of his game, which at the moment is one of the key aspects of his game that is lacking, and he would no that if he didn''t work hard for the team, Jarret and/or Hughes could come in and replace him if he wasn''t doing the bizz...but anyway this is all irelevant cuz i reckon he will be of the the "ammers"

this is a simple one to me: IF WE CAN GET HIM, GET HIM. he could be a future england international. he has better technical skills than anyone at the club and his attitude will change as he gets older.

we were better with him than without. he was unpredicatable -- and we don''t have nearly enough of that in our team.