Sign in to follow this  
ncfc fan

Minutes applause last night

Why was it applause and not silence?. Silence is much better and respectful.  An exciting football stadium that falls silent is quite an experience.

[quote user="Paul"]Why was it applause and not silence?. Silence is much better and respectful.  An exciting football stadium that falls silent is quite an experience.[/quote]Its the thought that counts in those situations - celebrating a life by a mass outward expression of appreciation, or silent respect.   It depends on the person and the circumstance as to which is most appropriate out of applause/silence. I find either/both very moving.

Also applause helps cover up the idiots who can''t quite bring themselves to be quiet or respectful in a football stadium... I still feel embarssed about the idiot who started shouting in the Barclay against West Ham last season for the remembrance day one I think it was.

[quote user="Paul"]Why was it applause and not silence?. Silence is much better and respectful.  An exciting football stadium that falls silent is quite an experience.[/quote]I should imagine the club asked the family of the player being honoured, which they would prefer?

Not sure, but I think players would probably prefer the minutes applause, when goes silent can take the atmosphere and everything in the stadium down a level afterwards, players seem less effected by a minutes applause, which is still an appreciation of the person they are acknowledging.

A minutes applause was introduced as a cop out to those morons who can''t keep quiet for a mere 60 seconds. I can remember before a game against Blackburn several years ago when a silence was held for Bobby Moore, and this idiot couldn''t contain himself and bellowed out some innane comment at about the 40 second mark. Is one minute too much to ask?

[quote user="Marchant"]A minutes applause was introduced as a cop out to those morons who can''t keep quiet for a mere 60 seconds. I can remember before a game against Blackburn several years ago when a silence was held for Bobby Moore, and this idiot couldn''t contain himself and bellowed out some innane comment at about the 40 second mark. Is one minute too much to ask?[/quote]

Not really.  The applause idea has been around longer than that.  It does have the added benefit of stopping the idiots from being heard, but that is not the main reason.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Marchant"]A minutes applause was introduced as a cop out to those morons who can''t keep quiet for a mere 60 seconds. I can remember before a game against Blackburn several years ago when a silence was held for Bobby Moore, and this idiot couldn''t contain himself and bellowed out some innane comment at about the 40 second mark. Is one minute too much to ask?[/quote]

Not really.  The applause idea has been around longer than that.  It does have the added benefit of stopping the idiots from being heard, but that is not the main reason.

[/quote]

Longer than what?

[quote user="Marchant"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Marchant"]A minutes applause was introduced as a cop out to those morons who can''t keep quiet for a mere 60 seconds. I can remember before a game against Blackburn several years ago when a silence was held for Bobby Moore, and this idiot couldn''t contain himself and bellowed out some innane comment at about the 40 second mark. Is one minute too much to ask?[/quote]

[/quote]

Longer than what?[/quote]

Longer than before it was tried at football matches.  

The problem with a silence usually is people coming in from the pub at the last minute then they come up from the concourse with food and drink and are not aware of the silence taking place. Everyone who is in the ground early enough are usually aware.