Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

RVW, Shopuld we recall him ?

"Norwich City''s on loan striker, Ricky van Wolfswinkel again proved his worth to loan club, St. Etienne when he scored in the 1-2 victory over third division, Red Star FC to see ''Les Verts'' reach the last 16 of the Coupe de France".

Read more: http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?

Do we really need him? I don''t think so we already have 3 strikers that want to play week in week out and arguably all 3 are currently on form even if not 100% fit.

We have 3 in form strikers atm

Pretty much unprecedented in norwich history

I think We''ll survive without him

As long as there is still a chance of St. Etienne paying us the proposed £5m fee for him (plus loan fee?) then he should stay where he is.That money will come in handy if it arrives.If he should suddenly become the super-striker we all expected (unlikely,) then it''s win, win. A drop in his form or even a spell out with injury would be the worst possible scenario for us, as things stand atm.

No brainer really there is a deal in place and if taken up he''ll ve sold, if not he''ll be back here in the summer.

As others said we have 3 very good in form strikers.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]"Norwich City''s on loan striker, Ricky van Wolfswinkel again proved his worth to loan club, St. Etienne when he scored in the 1-2 victory over third division, Red Star FC to see ''Les Verts'' reach the last 16 of the Coupe de France".

Read more: http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?[/quote]I think it is academic, being a season-long loan.  In any event I roughly make RvW''s statistics this season so far to be this, bearing in mind there are two competitions that really matter here:In the League he has played about 1520 minutes and scored five goals, albeit none recently. That is a goal every 304 minutes, or one about every 3.3 games. In the Europa League he has played about 445 minutes and scored one goal. So one every 4.7 games.In the less important Coupe de la Ligue he played about 140 minutes against top-flight teams and did not score. And so far in the ditto Coupe de France he has played around 250 minutes and scored three times - once against a team from the second tier and twice against a team from the third.

Hahaha, no.If he was too lightweight for the Premiership he is definitely too lightweight for the Championship!

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Thanks for that analysis Purple, says it all really.[/quote]Jenkins, I am not an expert on St-Etienne''s finances (it takes all my brain power to get Norwich City''s wrong) but I suspect any deal and/or its size will hinge on whether they qualify for Europe, and particularly the Champions League, because they are not intrinsically that rich a club.If RvW''s goals propel them into the CL, where the real money is, then the club will be more willing and more able to make us an acceptable practical offer to buy him (bearing in mind the question of whether the theoretical fee is an unlikely £6m or a slightly less unlikely €6m).That is why I regard the Cup goals as an irrelevancy and the goals in the League and the Europa League as the important ones. In France only the top three in the league qualify for the CL, and it looks as if Olympique Lyonnais, PSG and Olympique Marseille will have those slots tied up. But if I have understood correctly, if St-Etienne win the Europa League that also gets them into the CL.Whether there is enough money even in the Europa League, if St-Etienne only qualify again for that, to persuade them to make us an offer we like is a question..My guess is that at the end of the season RvW will want to stay at St-Etienne, St-Etienne will want to keep him, we will want to sell him, and a deal will be done with a transfer fee a fair way below either £6m or €6m.

Wasn''t there a deal already agreed? I thought when the loan deal was done it was an initial 1.5 million then the rest around 4.5 million if they wanted to jeep him?

Or was that more BS posted on here, I remember reading something like this in the summer somewhere.

[quote user="Indy"]Wasn''t there a deal already agreed? I thought when the loan deal was done it was an initial 1.5 million then the rest around 4.5 million if they wanted to jeep him?

Or was that more BS posted on here, I remember reading something like this in the summer somewhere.[/quote]Jeep him you say?Yeah I remember that too,We''ll be lucky to get that much though.

Jeep would be quicker!

Agree though I don''t think we will get more than an additional 2 million. But we''ll see it''s not just down to scoring, it''s about other factors too, interaction with players staff, how he playes.....christ if scoring was a prime money concern why did so many clubs pay so much for Hesky! 😃

[quote user="CJRV 2014"]Think you will find the deal was:

€1m Loan Fee

100% of wages paid

€6m fee to make it permanent[/quote]4.5 million pounds coincidentally being 6 million Euros....

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Thanks for that analysis Purple, says it all really.[/quote]Jenkins, I am not an expert on St-Etienne''s finances (it takes all my brain power to get Norwich City''s wrong) but I suspect any deal and/or its size will hinge on whether they qualify for Europe, and particularly the Champions League, because they are not intrinsically that rich a club.If RvW''s goals propel them into the CL, where the real money is, then the club will be more willing and more able to make us an acceptable practical offer to buy him (bearing in mind the question of whether the theoretical fee is an unlikely £6m or a slightly less unlikely €6m).That is why I regard the Cup goals as an irrelevancy and the goals in the League and the Europa League as the important ones. In France only the top three in the league qualify for the CL, and it looks as if Olympique Lyonnais, PSG and Olympique Marseille will have those slots tied up. But if I have understood correctly, if St-Etienne win the Europa League that also gets them into the CL.Whether there is enough money even in the Europa League, if St-Etienne only qualify again for that, to persuade them to make us an offer we like is a question..My guess is that at the end of the season RvW will want to stay at St-Etienne, St-Etienne will want to keep him, we will want to sell him, and a deal will be done with a transfer fee a fair way below either £6m or €6m.[/quote]I should have checked before posting. I hadn''t realised the group section of the Europa League had already finished. St-Etienne finished bottom of their group and so cannot get into next season''s Champions League that way. Their only chance, which is growing slimmer by the day, is to finish in the top three in the French league.Re the fee we negotiated, there is some doubt, with confusion being perpetuated today. This is what is publicly known:A few days before the deal was announced the EDP believed the figure for the permanent transfer to St-Etienne was £4.75m (€6m). But when it reported the deal it did so as follows, with €6m becoming £6m:The Canaries have negotiated an up front fee of £1.25m with the Greens

paying all of van Wolfswinkel’s salary during his loan stint in France.

St Etienne then have an option to seal a permanent move for the

25-year-old for an additional £6m figure, with City also securing a 20pc

cut of any future transfer deal should van Wolfswinkel make a success

of his spell in Ligue One.It is rare, not to say unique, for the EDP to have such detailed information on a deal. It doesn''t take much to imagine that in this case Carrow Road leaked the details because, on the face of it, they showed our negotiating skills in a good light to try to recoup money after  what was regarded as a financially disastrous transfer in the first place.Given those details came from Carrow Road one assumes they are correct, unless the EDP got its pounds and its euros mixed up.  The only additional piece of information is that in some posts on a St-Etienne fans'' forum the figure has been given simply as "6m" without a pounds or euros sign, but in the context that must mean they think it is €6m. Given the current weakness of the euro the disparity between €6m and £6m is significant.

Why? He''s a vastly inferior player in every single aspect to our other 3 strikers. The French League 1 is Championship standard albeit less physical and he''s not been prolific at all for one of the better teams.

He''s a very poor player that built a reputation on peaking at a very young age to appear to be a future star but he''s never developed. I''d be thrilled to get anywhere near 2 Million for him and if I was a manager I wouldn''t pay anymore than 250k, he can''t do anything!

Interesting that it seems to be 100% no thanks, I must admit to having felt sorry for him under Houghton, and never really knew if we knew how to play to his strengths, would be great business if St Etienne could afford him, but I have this niggling doubt they may not, would anybody else want to pay more than £1m for him ??

"the Greens paying all of van Wolfswinkel’s salary during his loan stint in France"

Weird that Norwich are paying his wages whilst he''s on loan. IS that the norm for loanees?

[quote user="KoromaCrab"]"the Greens paying all of van Wolfswinkel’s salary during his loan stint in France"

Weird that Norwich are paying his wages whilst he''s on loan. IS that the norm for loanees?[/quote]St-Etienne are Les Verts, or The Greens. Not us.

I don''t think we can afford his wages anymore and our strike force have actually been fairly good this season. Likely best in all parties interests if he discretely makes the deal permanent in the summer; we get our money back and he gets to re-start what was once a promising carrer.

If the need arises for a center forward that can''t hit a barn door then I''ll dig my boots out and play for a fraction of the cost!

[quote user="birchfest"]I don''t think we can afford his wages anymore and our strike force have actually been fairly good this season. Likely best in all parties interests if he discretely makes the deal permanent in the summer; we get our money back and he gets to re-start what was once a promising carrer.[/quote]We won''t get our money back! I would be happily amazed if we did. I have a little bet/promise with nutty that if we get £6m for him (which arguably still wouldn''t mean we got back what we paid) I will send him £60 for the PUPs for next season. And I will gladly hand over the £60 if we only get €6m.

He should not be recalled but if we go up we will need new strikers.

On the books we have lafferty, grabban, hooper, rvw, becchio, loza. If we go up we will need more goals. If RVW wants to go then fine, but at the right fee. I recall his comments when he first left. That if the wage bill was decreased he could come back. Then if I remember right he talked about what was wrong at the club and he was right with what he said.

I remember HUckerby being bad mouthed by norwich fans for saying how it was at one time, and he was right at the time it was appalling.

If we go up AN may want to talk to a striker who has come back and may want to challenge in th premiership

For one thing if graham Dorrans is about 4 million getting 4.5 million for rvw and investing in a striker will likely not get us a good championship striker.

If we stay down then I do not expect to see him and like many other players an exodus will begin. But only if they can get the money they want, we may be stuck with a lot o our relegated squad still on relatively good wages.