Sign in to follow this  
yoda

Sheff wed away 1981

Anybody go to that game ? although we lost 2-1 we got promoted and there were apparently 10,000 city fans there.I myself didn''t go but it got me thinking of games where we took massive away followings and i''m guessing that game would have been the biggest ? I went to Palace a few years ago when they gave us 8,000 and again we lost,which we always seem to do when backed by huge numbers .

It''s difficult to imagine in todays world of mass instant communication that in those days we were reliant on a bloke listening to the radio to give the rest of us updates on the score. If I remember correctly we needed Leicester to not win and we were promoted, shortly after going one-nil behind the rumour (it turned out to not true) that Leicester were losing started to spread, 10,000 city fans started cheering (a few years later I met a Wednesday fan on a training course and he asked me what we were doing at that point in the game, they thought we were the maddest fans they''d ever seen) then we scored and it was pandemonium.

I also remember waiting to hear if we''d got promoted when the radio just kept going on about bl00dy Liverpool winning the 1st Division, when it was finally confirmed being so relieved that I don''t think I spoke to anyone for about 10 minutes.

[quote user="lord montyjones"]It was announced on the tannoy at Hillsborough quite soon after the match ended, The chap congratulated Norwich on being promoted.[/quote]

I always waited for Sports Report and James Alexander Gordon to make it official.

I was there....i can remember we took the whole stand behind one of the goals, it was a really sunny day and the norwich fans didn''t stop singing.A few people had radios and as the scores came through the fans got louder and louder...great day

Yep, I was there.I remember that at the end a load of Wednesday fans ran on to the pitch and several started doing press ups. I suspect it was some sort of show of machismo, but it was rather strange?

Ya, I was there, serving in the Royal Navy at the time, most Norwich fans heading back to the Fine City whilst I got on the train heading for Plymouth and I could never pick up MW once the train started moving ! 

It was a weird day. I had to run (using the word loosely) for my train and only found out we had been promoted when some Gillingham fans got on at Chesterfield. But arguably no weirder than, four years later, getting promoted at the Odsal Stadium. That was a strange venue, with big open areas, and a high vantage point, so there was a touch of unreality to watching the game. And we scored in the first minute of both halves, and then just easily held Bradford at bay, which added to the slightly disconnected feeling.

Yup - was there,  such a city way of doing things the hard way,  lost so full of tense gloom to elation in minutes!

Can''t remember numbers but attended Brighton 83,Spurs 84 and Derby 84 in the FA  Cup and we took several thousand to each

I was there too - there was a load of us, for sure.The bizarre thing was the pitch invasion - who knows what for - but over 100 wednesday supporters were kept at bay by 3 police oficers!!I think we got moved as well from a corner infill to right behind the goal.

[quote user="yoda"]Anybody go to that game ? although we lost 2-1 we got promoted and there were apparently 10,000 city fans there.I myself didn''t go but it got me thinking of games where we took massive away followings and i''m guessing that game would have been the biggest ? I went to Palace a few years ago when they gave us 8,000 and again we lost,which we always seem to do when backed by huge numbers .[/quote]

[quote user="Plymouth canary"]Shall I try again, Watford away 1972 the first time we got promoted to the old division 1, if I remember we took over the whole ground.[/quote]There was a big following and, from dim memory, a friendly pitch invasion at Orient on the Monday night when we gained promotion. At Watford the next weekend we clinched the title.

And the Wednesday fan lobbing a lump of concrete at us ,and the not so pleasant walk back to the train,broken noses and all oh for the good old days.

Blimey I must be getting old.....done the lot of them mentioned on this thread, Watford,Orient,Derby,Bradford,Sheff Wed.

I was there at Hillsborough, thinking that the Wednesday fan that tried to head the ball when their second went in might prove to be a potential god send should Leicester game have turned around. Needn''t have panicked but it was tense, despite all the singing. Then 4 months later I went back to Sheffield for Uni and never left! I still think that day has something to do with it, but that stadium really is bleak on match days now.