Sign in to follow this  
Funny old game

Rob butler

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]Why can''t his boss realise how unpopular he is with the majority of the fans.

Soon good callers will not ring in, just the people on the same level as him.........[/quote]I''m not so sure he''s unpopular with the majority of the fans at all...just because he''s unpopular with a few people on here, that doesn''t mean the majority of fans dislike him.I''m new as a poster (although a long time reader) so i''m sure i''m going to get lambasted by the regulars for posting this, and called a binner or a plastic, and probably accused of being another Waveney pseudonym, but I can assure you i''m none of the above.  I''ve always been reluctant to post for that very reason, and I wouldn''t mind betting there are a fair few others like me, who can''t be bothered getting involved with the constant bickering between the regular contributors on here.I don''t get to many games, purely because I can''t afford to...but that shouldn''t make anyone consider me any less of a fan than anyone who can afford to go to every home game, and travel the country demonstrating their support at away games.  For that reason I listen to Radio Norfolk a lot for match coverage, and also day to day as a causal listener (and no...I never thought I''d be saying that at age 34 either, but with the tripe that qualifies for the playlists on all the national stations now, I''m happier sticking to songs that have at least stood the test of time even if I don''t like them all.  Radio Norfolk just feels like home now.  It''s just a shame that I have to be woken up by Nicky Price).  Anyway...I don''t agree with everything Rob Butler says, and yes, he does occasionally go off on one...but to me he is good at what he''s there for.  He does come across like any other fan you meet on the street, you can hear the genuine delight when the going''s good, and the despair when things aren''t so rosy.  He seems to have a genuine rapport with Chris Goreham and the other presenters, and with the co-commentators that join him on Canary Call, and I like that.  Calling ex players legends constantly is probably a personal thing to him...a lot of these are footballers he grew up watching as a kid, and he''s clearly a big enough City fan to almost idolise those players so to him, they are legends.I think he''s done OK for himself, landing a job doing what he loves, and I for one don''t mind my license fee paying his wage.  I prefer the thought of him earning the money to it being spent on most of the rubbish on BBC TV nowadays.I have no idea why this is the thread I decided to take the plunge and post on...I think I just felt I should attempt to redress the balance a bit and show a bit of support for the bloke.Sorry for rambling!

Good post John, and welcome to the forum.I''m not understanding the hate myself, either. He just comes over across as maybe a bit over enthusiastic, and that should never really even be a criticism.Bottom line I guess is that if you don''t like his show, don''t tune in.

I''m not sure how old he is but he must be late 20''s/early 30''s but he comes across as the sort of person who would still wear a full kit to matches.

Butler was directed to this thread btw but declined the invite. Says he stays away from messageboards.

Don''t blame him

Big John. No problem with you airing your opinion, that''s what these forums are for. This was my first post. Interesting to gauge the varied responses to it but I stick with my original gripe that a grown man, albeit a rabid canaries fan, can act in such a childish, brown nosing, gushing fashion when speaking with, or referring to, past players. The benefits of maturity and experience enable the rose tinted specs to come off and look at the world from a more balanced and objective viewpoint. Butler should be able to do that and hé can''t

Welcome to the forum Big John, always good to hear people''s views on here

Best football message board in the world Big John. I''m glad you''re posting but Im a bit dissapointed you''re running it down already. Welcome to you and FOG anyway and we need your help on Rays Funds guys.

Hes not your regular BBC local radio fence sitter which I find refreshing and can make the debates interesting!

I did cringe at half time the other night when he confidently predsicted we''d win 4-5-0!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Best football message board in the world Big John. I''m glad you''re posting but Im a bit dissapointed you''re running it down already. Welcome to you and FOG anyway and we need your help on Rays Funds guys.[/quote]

To be fair Nutty he does say he''s a long time reader and if we''re honest this place does resemble a kindergarten playground more often than not.

Not to me Smithy. I''m proud of it. Proud of Rays Funds. Proud of the real friendships forged all over the world. And I''m tolerant of kindergarten playground bits because we all do it but only some are in denial.

I reckon Radio Norfolk have the blend about right

A professional commentator alongside an ex-pro giving a good but sometimes predictable view, summery and analysis .

Rob Butler then chips in with more of an individual fans viewpoint, which compliments the ex-pro''s dialog.

It''s not a bad thing

After all, every ex-pro I''ve ever listened to, garble the same ''schooled'' and predictable spiel but in a variety of of different accents - usually Northern, Cockney or Scottish accents

Aye tha keepah cud a dun bettar with that!! Heel beh disapointad weh thaht no doubt!

Actually, I think Butler does a good job. I might not always agree with his point of view but he has been man enough to change his own if people can throw a decent argument at him or he sees an improvement in a player etc.He says stuff that may be a bit hard for some to swallow at times, but then his role is to mainly inspire discussion. He''s not going to do that sitting on the fence is he?So to that end I think he does a great job. Better than the idiots on Talksport who just seem to say any old rubbish, including slagging off clubs and members of them (players, managers etc) just to get a rise out of fans who will call in angry etc.

After all, every ex-pro I''ve ever listened to, garble the same ''schooled'' and predictable spiel but in a variety of of different accents - usually Northern, Cockney or Scottish accents

Aye tha keepah cud a dun bettar with that!! Heel beh disapointad weh thaht no doubt!

Did''nt know Peter Grant and Mr Lambert had apeared on the show

PS Perhaps Radio Norfolk can get Lambert on before he takes the York City or Exeter jobs

"I would Like Norwich to start putting balls down the channels Chris and start using their pace and get young Redders cutting inside and putting the opposition under pressure"

"Oooh! that was a reckless challenge Chris!..The striker was going nowhere and now he''s put his team under pressure with a needless tackle on the edge of the box!"........................................Ex-pros as pundits! - So predictable...you gotta love them! At least Rob Butler offers something different!

With regards to those saying how he is representing fans on the radio, is that not missing the point of the show? The best football call-ins (IMO) represent the fans by having them call in and match their opinions up against those of an expert or experienced player which can often be very inciting. That''s not to say the expert is always correct, but they certainly can make short work of the callers who either haven''t been to the game or are just ''trolling''.

Canary Call strikes me as just listening to two fans talking about the game with the expert trying to get a word in edge ways. If I wanted to hear fans talking to each other about the game I''d go to the pub at 4:00, the guy who can''t stop talking after 1 beer can represent Butler.

[quote user="HertsCanary93"]With regards to those saying how he is representing fans on the radio, is that not missing the point of the show? [/quote]Not sure if those of us who''ve posted making that observation are ''missing the point'', Herts. Because the powers that be at RN have gone out of their way to say that that is the point of the show.However what you say later is fair because, I for one am not sure if that idea/format either works or gets the best out of the time available. As I said earlier, its a moot point, but to be fair to RN, they are never going to please everyone. Personally, I''d like a professional broadcaster alongside a regular ex-footballer pundit, but I''m perfectly prepared to accept that this type of format may be too rigid for some.When posters come on this thread saying ''idiot'' callers should be banned or edited out (or words to that effect) it says more about them than it does Butler, CC or Radio Norfolk though.....

Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 12/02/2015 9:28 PM:

I''M just wondering Clive,could he have taken another touch there?

"And Thomson opens his legs and shows his class"

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="HertsCanary93"]With regards to those saying how he is representing fans on the radio, is that not missing the point of the show? [/quote]Not sure if those of us who''ve posted making that observation are ''missing the point'', Herts. Because the powers that be at RN have gone out of their way to say that that is the point of the show.However what you say later is fair because, I for one am not sure if that idea/format either works or gets the best out of the time available. As I said earlier, its a moot point, but to be fair to RN, they are never going to please everyone. Personally, I''d like a professional broadcaster alongside a regular ex-footballer pundit, but I''m perfectly prepared to accept that this type of format may be too rigid for some.When posters come on this thread saying ''idiot'' callers should be banned or edited out (or words to that effect) it says more about them than it does Butler, CC or Radio Norfolk though.....[/quote]

Have to say that generally when i''ve listened to Canary Call or the Scrimmage recently and Rob''s not been presenting it i''ve found it less entertaining but then we all prefer different styles or formats.

As per the poster above I think that the format is about right and Rob generally does a good job in terms of raising the points that "fans" would want to hear discussed and provoking discussion where necessary. Canary Call certainly seems to have a higher profile and be discussed much more on fans messageboards since he took over hosting despite a few moans.

Then again I admit to being biased because I know Rob and have spent much time debating all matters Norwich City with him over the years. Whilst he reigns it in a bit for the radio he wears his heart on his sleeve when it comes to Norwich City and I think most fans can identify with that.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Not to me Smithy. I''m proud of it. Proud of Rays Funds. Proud of the real friendships forged all over the world. And I''m tolerant of kindergarten playground bits because we all do it but only some are in denial.[/quote]

Fair comment Nutty.

Yes, Rays Funds is great and there are some threads that somehow don''t descend into petty name calling but you have to admit they are in the minority.

Yes, we''ve all risen to the bait sometimes but here''s probably about 10-15 individuals on here with an '' agenda '' against one or more other posters within that group and that''s what grates with the majority on here.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 12/02/2015 9:28 PM:

"And Thomson opens his legs and shows his class"[/quote]

"he came in hard round the back there..."

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 12/02/2015 9:28 PM: I''M just wondering Clive,could he have taken another touch there? "And Thomson opens his legs and shows his class"[/quote] "he came in hard round the back there..."[/quote]

Careful what you say I had my post removed because I mentioned Mr Fry doing a cabarate

jas the barclay king wrote the following post at 13/02/2015 12:32 PM:

Mr Jenkins wrote:
Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 12/02/2015 9:28 PM:

"And Thomson opens his legs and shows his class"

"he came in hard round the back there..."

" the bowlers holding the batsmans willy"