Sign in to follow this  
Funny old game

Rob butler

Does this sycophant actually get paid for hosting Canary call or is it just a hobby, a bit like hospital radio. Not only is he poor in the extreme as a presenter (that whole bassong walking across the pitch debacle) but he also acts like a love struck teenager when interacting with anyone who has ever pulled on the yellow shirt. Constantly referring to ex players as legends is the sort of juvenile, sycophantic behaviour you''d expect from someone collecting panini stickers. Daryll Russell seemed embarassed by his antics . It''s about time someone with a maturity beyond the age of 12 was given the job. Butler , they are just ex footballers, treat them accordingly and stop making a t*t of yourself or, if you can''t manage that then put your autograph book away and go down the local park for a kick about.

Who are you talking too? Why didn''t just send him a message on twitter! He does actually work for BBC Radio Norfolk, he doesn''t turn up for 1 hour. Why do you complain now? He''s been hosting the program for over 3 years! If you don''t like it don''t listen to him. Simple!

I think I''d give up if they did that Shaunie.  A few weeks ago they had Michael Bailey co-commentating and some blogger with Butler on Canary Call. It was like the blind leading the blind. Or to put it another way m and Lakey on the wireless. At the end of the day a Daryl Sutch or a Bryan Gunn will know far more to analyse the game than most of us on here put together.

[quote user="MisterCarrow"]Who are you talking too? Why didn''t just send him a message on twitter! He does actually work for BBC Radio Norfolk, he doesn''t turn up for 1 hour. Why do you complain now? He''s been hosting the program for over 3 years! If you don''t like it don''t listen to him. Simple![/quote]well said Rob

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think I''d give up if they did that Shaunie.  A few weeks ago they had Michael Bailey co-commentating and some blogger with Butler on Canary Call. It was like the blind leading the blind. Or to put it another way me and Lakey on the wireless. At the end of the day a Daryl Sutch or a Bryan Gunn will know far more to analyse the game than most of us on here put together.

[/quote]

*Me and Lakey.

[quote user="im spartacus"][quote user="MisterCarrow"]Who are you talking too? Why didn''t just send him a message on twitter! He does actually work for BBC Radio Norfolk, he doesn''t turn up for 1 hour. Why do you complain now? He''s been hosting the program for over 3 years! If you don''t like it don''t listen to him. Simple![/quote]well said Rob[/quote]

Funny....

I thought the opening post was Rob...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think I''d give up if they did that Shaunie.  A few weeks ago they had Michael Bailey co-commentating and some blogger with Butler on Canary Call. It was like the blind leading the blind. Or to put it another way m and Lakey on the wireless. At the end of the day a Daryl Sutch or a Bryan Gunn will know far more to analyse the game than most of us on here put together.

[/quote]we could always get tom cavendish to co commentate [:D]

He''s winding you up, that''s his job

Congrats, your a victim

Long live butler

Guess we were spoilt with Neil Adams, who wasn''t as star struck as Rob and didn''t describe ever ex player as a legend.

My favourite co commentators are Darel Russell and Darren Eadie, both say i how it is and don''t pull any punches.

I don''t have any real problem with him, I enjoy listening to him most of the time but one thing I will agree with is that he can be a bit sycophantic which can be annoying. His persona is the over-excited, high energy fan though, if he was told to reign it in they''d be nothing to him as a presenter.

I don''t really listen to Canary Call anymore though unless we''ve just won comfortably or I''ve had a few post match drinks, I did as a kid and into my teens but I find it too cringeworthy now. Adams was brilliant at it though and I always enjoyed his commentary, selfishly I wish he''d go back to RN alongside a youth coaching role

Remember the days when Radio Broadlans would also cover the game? Admittedly, it wasn''t continuos footage but they''d go to the match for regular updates and interupt a record of they''d been a goal.

I quite like Rob Butler, he is passionate about Norwich as we all are. Has a dream job that most of us could die for. I say good luck to the chap.

A large number of the posts on this and other related threads prove how many people simply miss the point about Butler.He was chosen  by RN because he is a ''fan'' and not either an ex-player nor a dyed in the wool established sports broadcaster . Presumably in an attempt to emulate the mood swings that we all experience as fans . Whether that idea works, or whether he''s the best person RN could have chosen is open to debate. I''m not so sure myself, but that''s just my opinion.But, to complain that he gets sycophantic and over -excited , as I say, totally misses the point.

He is absolute Dire, Cant stand him. For me he has ruined what was an entertaining show.

His voice is annoying, his comments are annoying and he talks absolute dross.

Half time the other night "I think we will go onto win 5-0" Cue catastrophic defending again and 2-2!

"Half time the other night "I think we will go onto win 5-0" Cue catastrophic defending again and 2-2! "

Ah ha! So your real problem with Butler is the fact he jinxed us!

Burn the witch! Buuuuurrrrnnnn him!

The recurring 5 year plan

Thread: rob butler

"His voice is annoying, his comments are annoying and he talks absolute dross"

The recurring 5 year plan

Thread: charlton v Norwich match thread

"We are a joke, manager has sorted out nothing. This is exactly the same as all season. Complacency, concentration lacking and 2 *** Scottish defenders!!!

Charlton will win this on the break.

Absolute hopeless"

You can go back to being quiet till we lose again now, moron.

Buh, Who do you think you are to call me knob.

Your endless posting of nothing but Booooo etc.... and against anyone with a negative opinion from time to time is tiresome.

Are you trying to become a leading post counter on here?

This is a board of opinions, not for abuse of others stating their opinion.

I would guess you are all type and no trousers!

I''ve warmed to him slightly, those first seasons he was truly awful... I think in that role you have to go down the louie therox approach and just ask questions without letting your own opinion dominate, it''s a chat show but it''s caller focused so simply get them to give you their opinion and then get another called on. Those early years it was the opposite and he came across as a fan on a forum with a holier than thou opinion and seemed to be jumping on every band wagon that came through, even it appeared, to the annoyance of some of the legends he had on with him.

Recently he seems to have got a little bit more neutral... I don''t mind his passion for Norwich shinning through but he''s meant to be comprer and then the ex-pro is meant to respond with the insight to the callers (that was the Adams way) hopefully doing it longer will calm him down and it won''t be ''butler call''

We had just won 4-0 but yet Butler spent most of Saturdays show banging on about ''Seb Bassong walking gingerly across the pitch'' to absolute tedium. His diagnosis of ''not looking good'' was also a complete waste a time and just an uneducated guess. Given that Bassong then played against Charlton, it was a complete non-story.

It was a bit like when you hear a story or bit of gossip about city and you want to be the first to tell your mates for a bit of ncfc kudos.

[quote user="Clint"]We had just won 4-0 but yet Butler spent most of Saturdays show banging on about ''Seb Bassong walking gingerly across the pitch'' to absolute tedium. His diagnosis of ''not looking good'' was also a complete waste a time and just an uneducated guess. Given that Bassong then played against Charlton, it was a complete non-story.

It was a bit like when you hear a story or bit of gossip about city and you want to be the first to tell your mates for a bit of ncfc kudos
.[/quote]I think that''s an example of the point I made earlier, Clint.Butler''s whole persona on CC is meant to be as if he were just a regular fan, doing the kind of stuff you refer to. We''ve all done it in our time, and I guess his style is in that mould.Whether it''s a good idea, or it works ,is a matter of debate. As with so many TV/Radio programmes you really cannot suit all of the people all of the time . For example, I''m not too sure about the ''different guest every week'' format.  Around Xmas time, Darel Russell was the guest and he openly admitted he''d not seen a Norwich game, as he''d been away coaching in the USA.  I preferred it when Neil Adams was the regular pundit, as he was very conversant with the recent games. But maybe they have difficulty in finding someone who''s prepared to tie themselves down to attending every NCFC match ?

Perhaps it is only because that idiot is on air can we realise just how good Adams was.

Also during a match, if you listened when watching the game, his insight to what was going on, that the ordinary fan would not have seen was remarkable.

Just hate to think that part of my licence fee pays towards his wages.

Complete waste of space. Why can''t his boss realise how unpopular he is with the majority of the fans.

Soon good callers will not ring in, just the people on the same level as him.........