Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Short changed by coverage.

Move to Spain or Portugal - you can watch virtually everything in a bar down there and a pint will cost you less than £1.Oh, and the sun shines a lot too  [;)]

[quote user="hogesar"]If you could have a stream of every match then you''d go from barely attending games to NEVER attending games. So would lots of other fans. Why on earth would the club do that?![/quote]

Every premiership game is available via stream, Do you think it really affects their attendance figures?

So...

- Free highlights the next day on NorwichCity.tv, not on the main club website.

- Commentary, available on the main club website for £1/month, or via the app for mobile, different UI, very easy to use.

- Full match streaming (legally), well that''s not going to happen for Saturday 3pm K/O''s, the FA are going to have to change their minds there.

- Full match streaming (illegally), is available every Saturday. Tuesday/Wednesday night games not so much but do have the goals played as soon as they happen on Sky Sports News.

Really don''t see what can be offered more?

They''re not officially endorsed streams though, are they?

Instead you''re talking about (on average) a 300kbps stream a couple minutes behind the game itself on a server in Thailand with occasional english commentary.

And the Premier League isn''t the league which is seeing dwindling crowds.

Whilst we''re in the Championship you lot from all over the place are just gonna have to put up with it :)

Agree with oso butch on page 4, put what my point is in a far more eloquent way than I did. I have no desire to see live streams - if it happened it would be good but my point is the lack of radio coverage for listeners outside norfolk as soon as the match kicks off until full time is not fair. I used to subscribe to canaries world but stopped due to the reliability and quality of the product not to mention the flawed nature of paying for something just because you are in the wrong area. The bbc is a terrestrial organisation in this country, you should not have to pay to listen to a terrestrial service. What topped it off a few months ago was when Norwich played Charlton at Carrow Road the game was broadcast on radio 5 live sports extra, when I turned it on it was Radio Norfolks coverage with Chris Goreham and Darren Eadie. Imagine how cheesed off i would have felt if i''d paid to listen to it on canariesworld.

I feel like petitioning the club about not using canariesworld in the future for their broadcast contract. I am a priority member and do go to some games buying the tickets i want through the club. The least they can do for fans who live outside the area is let them listen to games through local radio on the internet for free.

[quote user="lake district canary"]The present club website is a shambles and a mess and I only ever go on there when buying a ticket[/quote]Blimey Lakey, it seems you carry some power and influence around these parts. Seems they''ve listened to you and have started an upgrade already.......

TICKETS | will be offline from 10am tomorrow for an upgrade. Grab them today, drop in, or call 0844 826 1902 to book!

You''re my hero. [;)]

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Agree with oso butch on page 4, put what my point is in a far more eloquent way than I did. I have no desire to see live streams - if it happened it would be good but my point is the lack of radio coverage for listeners outside norfolk as soon as the match kicks off until full time is not fair. I used to subscribe to canaries world but stopped due to the reliability and quality of the product not to mention the flawed nature of paying for something just because you are in the wrong area. The bbc is a terrestrial organisation in this country, you should not have to pay to listen to a terrestrial service. What topped it off a few months ago was when Norwich played Charlton at Carrow Road the game was broadcast on radio 5 live sports extra, when I turned it on it was Radio Norfolks coverage with Chris Goreham and Darren Eadie. Imagine how cheesed off i would have felt if i''d paid to listen to it on canariesworld.

I feel like petitioning the club about not using canariesworld in the future for their broadcast contract. I am a priority member and do go to some games buying the tickets i want through the club. The least they can do for fans who live outside the area is let them listen to games through local radio on the internet for free.[/quote]
Attempt to listen to another club''s BBC local radio site for the game, won''t work, down to the FA.

What evidence is there for this? Why does anyone attend televised matches?

I can tell you now, even if I could watch every match from an arm chair I would still make it to as many matches as I can get to and get tickets for.

hogesar - "If you could have a stream of every match then you''d go from barely attending games to NEVER attending games. So would lots of other fans. Why on earth would the club do that?!"

That was directed at this, not sure where the quote went.

[quote user="morty"]Agree Monty, if at all possible, live match every time for me.[/quote]I think you''ll find that this is the same for 95% of fans who have the means to attend whenever possible.As already pointed out, the people that watch things like streams are the people that generally won''t be going to the games anyway, so it makes far more sense to monetise this and offer a better quality product which provides a definitive revenue stream for the club than to simply not have fans attend OR pay for a specific service such as a dedicated channel etc.Plus the whole ''ban'' on Radio Norfolk outside the region during matches is utterly ridiculous, especially when everyone in the UK PAYS for Radio services via their TV licences, but are then told that despite the signal and programme being there - they can''t listen to it!

If at all possible, live match every time for me, as well, but because of the distance I do tend to miss the match if it''s live on the tele, I also miss midweek matches for the same reason.Last season (In the Premiership) I didn''t really save any money having a season ticket, but at least it guaranty''s my seat.

Me too fellas, live every time if poss but living over here, it just aint a doer for me. Cant see why, as i''m denied access to bbci player because of location , that it''d would hurt anyone to allow me ,on paid subscription, to legally stream games live....after all they know where my computer is.

Wouldnt hurt anyone to let Exiles watch for£££, might even raise a few bob.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]The present club website is a shambles and a mess and I only ever go on there when buying a ticket[/quote]Blimey Lakey, it seems you carry some power and influence around these parts. Seems they''ve listened to you and have started an upgrade already.......

TICKETS | will be offline from 10am tomorrow for an upgrade. Grab them today, drop in, or call 0844 826 1902 to book!

You''re my hero. [;)]

[/quote]

There. I knew my voice would be heard sooner or later.  Now about that hotel...............

Not totally sure about that CDB. Sunderland fans can watch videos of their team, listen to bbc match commentary all off their website for nothing. Something called Safsee. I cant get the link to paste but if you go on safc.com its on there.

[quote user="Jenkins"]Agreed Monty, for less than a pound a week I recon canaries player is good value for you guys that live away from Norwich.[/quote]

Not really Mr. Jenkins. LDC says he is prepared to pay 10-15 quid for a quality product.

If you went out for a meal in a expecting to pay 15 quid, you''d be pretty upset if the restaurant said you could only have a packet of crisps for a quid.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="Jenkins"]Agreed Monty, for less than a pound a week I recon canaries player is good value for you guys that live away from Norwich.[/quote]

Not really Mr. Jenkins. LDC says he is prepared to pay 10-15 quid for a quality product.

If you went out for a meal in a expecting to pay 15 quid, you''d be pretty upset if the restaurant said you could only have a packet of crisps for a quid.[/quote]

I think that is my main gripe with the overall coverage.   There must be many like me who would pay a premium to be able to watch matches live.   I don''t subscribe to Sky because there is no point as I am only interested in Norwich and only a passing interest in the rest.  Multiply the amount of fans of all the different football league clubs together, not just ones that are able to go to matches, but all fans everywhere and you would find a huge amount of people prepared to pay to watch matches live - with a proper picture, with commentary and after match interviews etc.  Away matches of course in particular.   Would it cut down on people going to matches?  Marginally, maybe, but since most of the income for football clubs is from TV rights, then a small drop would not make a huge difference.   Plus if clubs got their act together and offered an online product that would enable people to watch live for a premium, then they could make more money from that than the drop off in ticket sales.  It is not as expensive as it used to be to start a TV channel or an online channel, so whoever is stopping this from happening is actually doing a dis-service to football supporters around the country and the world. 

Would CR lose some of its support to TV?   Not imo, because the match day experience cannot be replicated sitting at home - there is nothing like the real thing.   Yes, I think there should be free extended highlights because ultimately, the main draw to watching football is to see it live.   And for quite a lot of people, that means access to a live feed, because we are not all able to get to every match.

Rock The Boat wrote the following post at 13/01/2015 12:11 AM:

Jenkins wrote:
Agreed Monty, for less than a pound a week I recon canaries player is good value for you guys that live away from Norwich.

If you went out for a meal in a expecting to pay 15 quid, you''d be pretty upset if the restaurant said you could only have a packet of crisps for a quid.

You can only buy the £15 product if someone is prepared to provide it. The packet of crisps for less than a quid provides a service and it''s a small price to pay to listen to your team , albeit with a crunchy backdrop in this case.

Even if the club could get round the FL restrictions and any licensing issues, to make sure the whole thing was viable I should think people would have to sign up for a season of games, if they pick and chose then the club could find itself way out of pocket as less committed fans come and go, so even if they only charge £10 a game it''s going to cost £460 a year. How many people do you really think would sign up for that.

If it''s LDC''''s £15 a game then £690 a year......realistic for most people?

Or maybe just get off their ar$es and go to some games? 5 or 600 quid a year buys a fair few. Its not like they live in Timbuktu, is it?

[quote user="morty"]Or maybe just get off their ar$es and go to some games? 5 or 600 quid a year buys a fair few. Its not like they live in Timbuktu, is it?[/quote]

Loud sound of nail being hit on head!

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Not totally sure about that CDB. Sunderland fans can watch videos of their team, listen to bbc match commentary all off their website for nothing. Something called Safsee. I cant get the link to paste but if you go on safc.com its on there.[/quote]
That''s because Sunderland aren''t apart of the FLi Agreement (use of the ''Player'' brand) that we are. So they''re alternative to Canaries Player is Safsee, they''ve decided to keep their model free, as soon as our FLi Agreement ends, i''m sure the club would do something similar. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="Jenkins"]Agreed Monty, for less than a pound a week I recon canaries player is good value for you guys that live away from Norwich.[/quote]

If you went out for a meal in a expecting to pay 15 quid, you''d be pretty upset if the restaurant said you could only have a packet of crisps for a quid.[/quote]

I think that is my main gripe with the overall coverage.   There must be many like me who would pay a premium to be able to watch matches live.   I don''t subscribe to Sky because there is no point as I am only interested in Norwich and only a passing interest in the rest.  Multiply the amount of fans of all the different football league clubs together, not just ones that are able to go to matches, but all fans everywhere and you would find a huge amount of people prepared to pay to watch matches live - with a proper picture, with commentary and after match interviews etc.  Away matches of course in particular.   Would it cut down on people going to matches?  Marginally, maybe, but since most of the income for football clubs is from TV rights, then a small drop would not make a huge difference.   Plus if clubs got their act together and offered an online product that would enable people to watch live for a premium, then they could make more money from that than the drop off in ticket sales.  It is not as expensive as it used to be to start a TV channel or an online channel, so whoever is stopping this from happening is actually doing a dis-service to football supporters around the country and the world. 

Would CR lose some of its support to TV?   Not imo, because the match day experience cannot be replicated sitting at home - there is nothing like the real thing.   Yes, I think there should be free extended highlights because ultimately, the main draw to watching football is to see it live.   And for quite a lot of people, that means access to a live feed, because we are not all able to get to every match.

[/quote]That is only true in the Premier League. When we were in the third tier only £1.5m of our £14.2m income came from TV.  Ticket sales accounted for £6.9m and catering and commercial - most of which I assume is generated on match days - produced  £7.3m. In the second tier only £5.5m out of £17.1m came from TV. Ticket sales alone were £8.1m and catering and commercial another £9m.Even if the kind of deal you want then brought in some money for clubs the drop in attendances you admit is likely would hit no fewer than three sources of income, therefore probably reducing overall income, while helping to create a generation of fans who don''t have the necessary habit of going to a game to watch it.And even if your view - typically both optimistic and unsubstantiated - that we would not losr many fans is correct, which is highly arguable in the longer run, that is hardly going to be the case with other clubs.

I still can''t see the problem with paying less than a pound a week for the commentary.

It puts something back into the club and it''s cheap.

It is short term thinking charging for radio coverage of fans outside an area where they can''t get radio reception. All football clubs aim to broaden their appeal and get more fans from further affield to increase their fanbase hence the length the club has gone to to get involved with social media. If you let everyone listen to matches for nothing I guarantee more people would listen. Maybe then they would be more likely to buy a shirt etc from the shop and feel more of a connection to the club.

Also notwithstanding when I did subscribe the the service a few years it was shoddy, sometines I turned on and got a different match entirely to the one I was wanting ( not a Norwich one) . Not the sort of service I could expect for a paid product.

I have less of a problem with them charging for video coverage although again I feel with social media etc and youtube the clubs appeal would broaden even further if they didn''t charge for it and gain poistively as I state above. But I do feel charging for BBC local radio coverage is not necessary.

As a football fan I think there have been good initiatives such as the reciprocal pricing of games in the premier league for away fans which made some awadays in the premier league decent value especially compared to some of the prices quoted in the Championship. But I feel am astute enough to know when I am been ripped off and I feel the radio situation is a joke.

[quote user="morty"]Or maybe just get off their ar$es and go to some games? 5 or 600 quid a year buys a fair few. Its not like they live in Timbuktu, is it?[/quote]Which is exactly what I do. At around £180 a game including travel I get to on average four or five games a season at CR, costing in the region of £800 or more.  To go to every game at CR in a season would cost in the region of £4000.  Logistics and cost mean I don''t get to more.  Some away games are easier and I get to a similar amount each season.   I think overall, exiles who follow their club and go to what games they can, do their bit - and casting aspersions just because they don''t live in Norwich is just tin pot.

The main reason there is little coverage is because very few people are actually that interested...

That may sound like a stupid thing to say considering the league is the 4th most attended in Europe (I think, it might be 5th), but many companies have attempted to monetise the coverage and failed miserably (ITV Digital). Even the BBC who don''t look to make a profit from the coverage have found viewing figures are too small to want to increase coverage.

A few seasons ago you may remember that the BBC showed 10 Championship games, off the back of launching the regional football programs (Kevin Piper use to do a weekly show) - the BBC focused on showing 10 local rival games as it was felt these would have the most interest (Norwich v Ipswich was shown live and we all got to witness the 4-1 hammering). The problem was, very few people actually watched these games, the Norwich/Ipswich fans who couldn''t make the match probably did but apart from that the numbers were weak - as was the case for the other 9 games. The BBC felt it couldn''t justify the cost of the rights and the cost of actually showing the games and ITV felt there was no profit to be made showing games either. The regional highlights show contiuned for a little longer, but was reduced to half a season only - I don''t know if it will be back this season - probably not. Does Mustard TV show highlights? I guess the idea is for these new regional channels to provide this regional coverage now.

The idea LDC mentions is impossible whilst the transmission of 3pm games is still banned in the UK - all those streams you can watch are intended for overseas markets. So a legal, pay-per-view service would require games to be played on Friday evenings, Saturday mornings or Sunday - the time slots allocated for televised Championship games - unless the law is changed of course. However, I still don''t think there would ever be enough demand to get such a service up and running. The initial costs of installing TV cameras at the stadiums, as well as increasing the size of press areas and broadcast facilities would be too much for any profit to be created. Especially when you consider for every 1 person willing to pay £10 to see a game, there would be 100s prepared to watch an illegal stream, of the legal one.

A friend at the BBC told me that costs for showing a game were so high that they had to make a choice between showing either Wimbledon or Blyth as they couldn''t afford both. Part of the reason for showing the Arsenal game against Hull was the cameras were already in place and Arsenal have their own broadcast studio, reducing costs significantly (as well as the saving considering a large amount of the staff are still in London).

Another barrier is that many clubs don''t want more games televised - whilst Norwich have managed to maintain attendances post relegation both Cardiff and Fulham have seen theirs slip by 20%, also smaller clubs would also be anti the idea as they feel it would risk their profits from ticket sales.

Unfortunately, whilst Norwich are not in the Premier League we cannot expect the wall-to-wall coverage that we have been use to for the past few seasons (although many still moaned then that Norwich didn''t get enough press). This is the reality of lower league football and will be the case until the law is changed, technological costs are reduced and clubs change attitude. Good luck with that...

norfolkchance1 wrote the following post at 13/01/2015 10:25 AM:

"It is short term thinking charging for radio coverage of fans outside an area where they can''t get radio reception. All football clubs aim to broaden their appeal and get more fans from further affield to increase their fanbase hence the length the club has gone to to get involved with social media. If you let everyone listen to matches for nothing I guarantee more people would listen. Maybe then they would be more likely to buy a shirt etc from the shop and feel more of a connection to the club. "

That''s rubbish, proper fans will be more than happy to pay a quid to listen to a City game, who else other than Club fans are going to listen to a Championship game, even if it''s free.

The notion that by listening to free radio Norfolk commentary in Yorkshire is going to be so appealing to a neutral that it will broaden our fan base is absurd.

[quote user="morty"]Or maybe just get off their ar$es and go to some games? 5 or 600 quid a year buys a fair few. Its not like they live in Timbuktu, is it?[/quote]Before anyone tells me to get off my ar$e, I''d like to remind you that

I''m a season ticket holder.  Leave Swindon at 8:30 Sat. morning getting

to Norwich about midday and getting back to Swindon usually in time to

watch MOTD and the Footy league show. I give up every other Saturday to my family I just don''t think it''s fair on them to go to midweek matches as well.