Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Short changed by coverage.

Championship Football.  Millions of pounds pumped into it,  millions of people interested in it.  Practically nil coverage.  Average five minutes a week if you are lucky.   Away games particularly a pain in this day and age and ability to transmit stuff.    Take today.  A lot of interest in this match...............minimal TV coverage, no real prospects of twenty minutes highlights as we used to get years ago in the dark ages when black and white tv and only two channels were available - BBC and ITV.

WTF is going on?   Hundreds of channels, TV rights changing hands for millions, yet we still get nothing.  The Football League Show is a joke - good presenters, but one hour to cover three leagues.    Why can''t we have a regional highlights programme on the BBC - we have the ability with all the local channels on Satellite and cable?    Wouldn''t that be a good use of licence payer''s money? And if the BBC can''t do it, there ought to be online channels where extended highlights are shown. 

Is canary player worth subscribing to?

It is discraceful. Let someone else have the rights who will actually show live games.

Canary Player is ok when it works.It is jusr a radio commentary though. In this day and age that is not enough.

Details of the broadcast rights to highlights packages are a bit sketchy on the net but they do say that the current contract runs out in 2015.Im sure I read either on here or online that there was an opportunity for us to participate in an agreement to show our away games at CR with the opposition then being given reciprocal rights when they played us at CR but this was not taken up.Might be wrong, often am but hopefully this will not effect us next season.

Not really that helpful Wavy. This is aimed at all those that can''t go for various reasons. Cost, distance etc. Surely there must be a better way for fans to watch the games/highlights than the current system. I''d personally be happy to pay the club for an official stream if that is what it takes.

[quote user="Canary Island"]Call me contravershal but you could be like me and actually go to the game.

Just a thought

OTBC[/quote]Yep, that''s a 740 mile round trip, fuel cost £150, ticket £25, food £25, day away from family, useless all day Sunday, unpopular at home, just what you need to set you up for another week at work...........

Or........have the weekend with the family, rest and recuperation after a week''s work, listen to match on radio, watch extended highlights Sat evening on a decent programme devoted to your club - pay a sub for it if necessary,  enjoy Sunday, go back to work refreshed.   That sounds like what Canary Player ought to be like................but is it ? [:^)]

The good news is highlights are going to Channel 5 I think, no more waiting up til 1am, which was an absolute joke.

Ginja i read this

the proposals are C5 will use a MOD format which will start @ 9pm on saturday

If its true could be good

Always seems majorly wrong that those outside Norfolk (like myself) have to pay for canaries world to listen to radio norfolk commentary that people in norfolk listen to for free.

I stopped subscribing because it was so unreliable a few years ago.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Canary Island"]Call me contravershal but you could be like me and actually go to the game.

Just a thought

OTBC[/quote]Yep, that''s a 740 mile round trip, fuel cost £150, ticket £25, food £25, day away from family, useless all day Sunday, unpopular at home, just what you need to set you up for another week at work...........

Or........have the weekend with the family, rest and recuperation after a week''s work, listen to match on radio, watch extended highlights Sat evening on a decent programme devoted to your club - pay a sub for it if necessary,  enjoy Sunday, go back to work refreshed.   That sounds like what Canary Player ought to be like................but is it ? [:^)]

[/quote]so what happened last week when they were 90 miles away from you ?

The coverage of English football almost verges on insanity. Blocking coverage to thousands, 10''s of thousands and, for certainly some PL clubs, millions of supporters, the vast majority of whom would happily pay for the service, for what???

To preserve gates? Is there any evidence that televised games suffer significantly from poor attendance? To preserve lower league attendances? If you are committed enough to go and watch lower league football I doubt being able to watch a bigger team on TV is going to stop you, we''ve had streams of PL games for years what has been the effect on PL or lower league attendances? And even if there was a much better system would be to generate extra revenue up the chain but ensure a larger proportion was given to smaller football clubs to ensure their survival and development.

The sooner English football moves with the digital times the better. The current setup makes absolutely no sense. TV rights need to be renegotiated to allow owners of the content to provide paid for online streams for matches, there is a demand as illegal streams show. Pirates don''t provide things out of social justice and charity. They do it because there''s an audience for something and they can make money out of it by click-bait advertising.

As for highlights, there surely must be a huge audience for decent Championship highlights? The league deserves it''s own show and can surely justify it, there is a huge potential audience, much bigger than a lot of TV programming. There was a reason the league was re-branded.

Where as unfortunately there isn''t the same audience for League 1 and 2, and coverage and highlights of these games should be handled locally imo.

Dont know were you are in the country but try radio norfolk on mw 855 got commentry as far north as scarbough west at birmingham and london start at 855 then go up or down the scale

Not even a mention on BBC Breakkfast news. A dedicated time slot and presenter, covers the Premiership and then jumps straight to the SPL and then onto the Rugby.

Local news isn''t much better, but I don''t think the Club allow them access like they used to. Not even a quirky story with a player is allowed it seems.

In this day and age, there''s really no reason why there shouldn''t be a Netflix style website, run by Sky or whoever owns the rights, where you can pay £2 or whatever to watch the game of your choice live on the ''net. Have every game, from every league in the country. They''re all filmed anyway for the highlights shows so the cameras are there. You don''t even need to pay for commentators. Television coverage is generally better without, anyway. You''d make a fortune over the course of a season.It wouldn''t impact on attendances, at least no less than the ludicrous ticket prices already do, as fans still want to get to games. But give them an opportunity to watch on the occasions when they can''t.

The FLS did give us a few minutes to be fair, but still meagre rations overall.  I hear Channel 5 are taking over, but the real answer is local programmes for local clubs on local TV stations, allowing clubs all round the country to get decent coverage in their own areas - like we used to have forty years ago.  Progress?  Pah!

Since you rarely attend games, then surely signing up to Canaries World is a no-brainer?
If I lived a long distance away then that''d be one of the first things I done. Any additional coverage is a bonus.
I mean, the alternative is start attending more games...
Just seems coincidental the moaning coincides with Championship streams being few and far between now!

[quote user="hogesar"]Since you rarely attend games, then surely signing up to Canaries World is a no-brainer?
If I lived a long distance away then that''d be one of the first things I done. Any additional coverage is a bonus.
I mean, the alternative is start attending more games...
Just seems coincidental the moaning coincides with Championship streams being few and far between now!
[/quote]

If it was value for money and reliable I might sign up for CW. The present club website is a shambles and a mess and I only ever go on there when buying a ticket.   Luckily, the Pinkun main site, despite its limitations, is a good substitute for the club website.  Regarding highlights or live coverage, the issue isn''t the club, its TV coverage generally.   The BBC has good loca networks - they are not using them well enough imo.  ITV has regional setups as well.  Perhaps they could do more.  C5 will just be a slightly enhanced version of the FLS.   

[quote user="lake district canary"]If it was value for money and reliable I might sign up for CW. [/quote]FFS, it''s £19.99 for 6 months.You could recreate all the goals using stop-frame animated lego figures and it would be worth the price.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"]If it was value for money and reliable I might sign up for CW. [/quote]FFS, it''s £19.99 for 6 months.You could recreate all the goals using stop-frame animated lego figures and it would be worth the price.[/quote]

Its not the money - its the quality of the product.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"]If it was value for money and reliable I might sign up for CW. [/quote]FFS, it''s £19.99 for 6 months.You could recreate all the goals using stop-frame animated lego figures and it would be worth the price.[/quote]

Its not the money - its the quality of the product.[/quote]Have you ever asked for a refund after attending a Norwich match?

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"]If it was value for money and reliable I might sign up for CW. [/quote]FFS, it''s £19.99 for 6 months.You could recreate all the goals using stop-frame animated lego figures and it would be worth the price.[/quote]Its not the money - its the quality of the product.[/quote]Have you ever asked for a refund after attending a Norwich match?[/quote]Of course not.  But I am not going to spend money on a cyber product that looks like it was designed by a five year old for five year olds.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"]If it was value for money and reliable I might sign up for CW. [/quote]FFS, it''s £19.99 for 6 months.You could recreate all the goals using stop-frame animated lego figures and it would be worth the price.[/quote]Its not the money - its the quality of the product.[/quote]Have you ever asked for a refund after attending a Norwich match?[/quote]Of course not.  But I am not going to spend money on a cyber product that looks like it was designed by a five year old for five year olds.

[/quote]Then you are choosing to have less coverage of the club you support than you otherwise could have if you were prepared to put up with the irritations around style.Nose/face?

I guess it depends just how much effort you are willing to put in.

Personally I chose to live in Norwich, it meant that much to me being near my team.

;)

(Notice the winky before you take offence)

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"]If it was value for money and reliable I might sign up for CW. [/quote]FFS, it''s £19.99 for 6 months.You could recreate all the goals using stop-frame animated lego figures and it would be worth the price.[/quote]Its not the money - its the quality of the product.[/quote]Have you ever asked for a refund after attending a Norwich match?[/quote]Of course not.  But I am not going to spend money on a cyber product that looks like it was designed by a five year old for five year olds. [/quote]Then you are choosing to have less coverage of the club you support than you otherwise could have if you were prepared to put up with the irritations around style.Nose/face?[/quote]I won''t go near the Norwich Official site (execpt for the odd ticket) until they return it to a place - as it used to be - where it looked classy,  was quick to load, easy to navigate and generally person friendly.    A lot of online sites these days are apparently designed by people not long out of school who live in a cybernetic world of their own and have no idea of the world or people outside their own sphere.  Designed by young geeks for people as they see them - like themselves.   Not going to spend time and money on that, nose or face.

[quote user="lake district canary"]A lot of online sites these days are apparently designed by people not long out of school who live in a cybernetic world of their own and have no idea of the world or people outside their own sphere.  Designed by young geeks for people as they see them - like themselves.   Not going to spend time and money on that, nose or face.[/quote]Agist. [8o|]

I am unclear as to why anyone who doesn''t go to games should expect to be able to have access to high-quality TV coverage, whether live or of highlights.