Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

"Not proven"

In fairness to the FA they didn''t just listen to both men''s statements and then side with the Leeds player. They also brought in lip-reading experts to try and work out what was said and they found no evidence that Bellusci said ''negro''.

Fair play to the FA although ''not proven'' is not quite right IMO. Forgetting my allegiance to Norwich and my high opinion of Jerome : one person''s word against another, no corroborating witnesses, inconclusive opinion from ''forensic lip readers'' (what else was expected ?) so verdict IMO should have been ''not guilty''. It doesn''t matter that Jerome''s reaction at the time lent credence to his claim and I feel sure that he did believe that he had been racially insulted. We increasingly live in a world where causes obsessionnelles apparently dictate that the normal prima facie evidence requirements are discarded if the accusation (however genuinely felt or believed) levelled at an individual is high up on society''s current outrage scale.

In a related story, The Doobie Brothers were arrested after overly sensitive crowd members looking for reasons to feel offended misunderstood the line "the wise man has the power" as white supremacist jargon in What a Fool Believes.

When they were found not proven, Norwich City website Pink''un exploded with indignity.