Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Bradley Johnson

What gets to me is people who still don''t give him credit or level old criticisms at him when he has clearly improved his game and is peforming so well. Leeds fans would never recognise him.

Suggest you look at these, based on complete offensive and defensive stats. BJ has higher avg overall rating so far this season by some margin, and, based on the stats, a significantly higher rating than AT in the Wolves game. BJ is rated 26th in the whole league, the second highest placed Norwich player behind Redmond at 10, vs 65th for AT.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/12490/Show/Bradley-Johnson

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/9342/Show/Alexander-Tettey

After reading Brightons responses, he clearly has a thing for Bradders, who turned down his sexual advances.

Theres no other reason for a Norwich fan to say "His performances arent as good as everyone thinks, I know best! !!"

Or similar.

[quote user="a1canary"]Suggest you look at these, based on complete offensive and defensive stats. BJ has higher avg overall rating so far this season by some margin, and, based on the stats, a significantly higher rating than AT in the Wolves game. BJ is rated 26th in the whole league, the second highest placed Norwich player behind Redmond at 10, vs 65th for AT.http://www.whoscored.com/Players/12490/Show/Bradley-Johnsonhttp://www.whoscored.com/Players/9342/Show/Alexander-Tettey[/quote]I''m not being funny, but if you actually look at the pure stats, Tettey beats Johnson in almost every single metric...That being said, as already pointed out it''s often about more than just the raw stats (even for a stat fanatic like myself), and whilst I will ALWAYS rate Tettey as the better defensive midfielder (and better overall player IMHO), there should be little to no criticism for Johnson''s performances since moving over to the left side.It''s given us a much better balance, he''s not being pressured as much to control the game or it''s tempo and you can see that it''s having a much better effect on his overall game as a result, and he''s probably having his best ever season since joining us.The goal contribution has been important, as has the drive and commitment he brings to the side, so even fans like myself who have some concerns about his overall technical ability and general level of passing, have to be more than satisfied with the way he''s played so far and give full credit for that, instead of finding an unnecessary stick to beat the guy with despite how much of an impact he''s having so far.

To all the Bradley johnson haters out there... Stick that in you pipe and smoke it.

Funny how it only appears to be a small number of fans who does not like him yet lambet, hughton, Adams and now Neill all seem to have him as 1st choice. Not to mention the 6 or do prem clubs who wanted him in the summer.

Jonno is here to stay. THANK GOD

Really deserves it one off our best midfielders for years not frightened to put him self about and score goals Reminds me off Trevor Hockey many years ago God rest his soul

Well done to him, he''s had an excellent season ever since Adams (to his credit) realised that he''s far more effective pressing high up the pitch.

My only concern is the length of this deal, if we really aspire to establish ourselves back in the Premier League in the next three years. Johnson is a very committed player and has some quality at Championship level but his technical deficiencies were (and probably will be) exposed in the top flight. Hope he proves me wrong though!

[quote user="Goss93"]Well done to him, he''s had an excellent season ever since Adams (to his credit) realised that he''s far more effective pressing high up the pitch.

My only concern is the length of this deal, if we really aspire to establish ourselves back in the Premier League in the next three years. Johnson is a very committed player and has some quality at Championship level but his technical deficiencies were (and probably will be) exposed in the top flight. Hope he proves me wrong though![/quote]

And yet other Premier League managers wanted to sign him!!

Cor. This Bradley Johnson who, according to a section of our fans, isn''t even good enough for us in the Championship. Now that''s pretty much been blown out of the water this season, the next stage is to claim he isn''t good enough for the Premiership. I think, personally, i''d rather go with the view of the professionals as opposed to the fans on here who love to criticise.
So, applying only to Premier League, who thinks Johnson is good enough?
1) Lambert / his coaching staff / his scouts
2) Hughton / his coaching staff
3) Adams / his coaching staff
4) Interested Premier League Club 1 / scouts
5) Interested Premier League Club 2 / scouts
6) Interested Premier League Club 3 / scouts.
Isn''t it weird, how Johnson ain''t good enough but all these professionals paid thousands and thousands to ensure the club they work for stays in the Prem, think he is?

[quote user="hogesar"]Cor. This Bradley Johnson who, according to a section of our fans, isn''t even good enough for us in the Championship. Now that''s pretty much been blown out of the water this season, the next stage is to claim he isn''t good enough for the Premiership. I think, personally, i''d rather go with the view of the professionals as opposed to the fans on here who love to criticise.
So, applying only to Premier League, who thinks Johnson is good enough?
1) Lambert / his coaching staff / his scouts
2) Hughton / his coaching staff
3) Adams / his coaching staff
4) Interested Premier League Club 1 / scouts
5) Interested Premier League Club 2 / scouts
6) Interested Premier League Club 3 / scouts.
Isn''t it weird, how Johnson ain''t good enough but all these professionals paid thousands and thousands to ensure the club they work for stays in the Prem, think he is?
[/quote]Its quite simple Hogesar. If a supporter sees a player week in week out unable to pass a simple ball to one of his team mates you are going to criticise him for it.   If you see him marauding up the left and scoring and generally having a positive effect you are going to praise him for it.  Its all about balance.  If he is predominately effective and cuts down on mistakes, then he is doing well, if he is predominately ineffective or has a bad game where he gives the ball away too much then he is not doing well.   The one thing that never changes is that he gives 100%.  That is good, but really no less than supporters should expect from any player. 

Jonno has proved himself this season.  If we go up he will have to prove himself next season.  Same with any player. 

That''s all very well Lakey. But what I don''t understand is why some fans look for weaknesses in some players and strengths in others. If you read this thread you will see that the difference in the way some posters have analysed the performances of Johnson/Tettey/Howson. Its also very apparent when the performances of our fullbacks are analysed. Certain players are and always have been scapegoated to a degree by sections of our fans.

No, its about actually knowing your football, and knowing what you are talking about. Its about making an informed opinion, based on actually going to games and seeing the whole picture.And not losing your shit because the players stats fall short of your expectations.

Johnson''s been terrific this season.

A decent Premier League player if the circumstances are right, but he''s always going to be a very good and dominant Championship player.

I''m glad he''s here and will be for probably another 3 years.

Okay I had left the thread as I had exhausted my points and had some good debate with others, however in light of the recent news I have a few thoughts to add.

Firstly, I am very happy about the news, as most of you are all saying he is being duly rewarded for his recent performances. He is clearly playing better in general than he has at times in the past, albeit in a slightly modified role to his original position in the middle.

Regarding comments above about him being consistently being picked by a succession of coaches, whilst this is true on the whole it does not quite tell the whole story. Last season for example, we had Howson, Tettey and more notably Fer ahead of him in the pecking order. Consider as well that Pilkington, Bennett and Redmond are also there to fill a midfield 4 or 5 to provide some form of width, with Hoolahan as well in the mix. So to say that managers have continually had him at the top of their list is not quite true. What is true, and all credit to him for this is that he is seemingly never injured, knocking on the door for selection! All the players mentioned above have suffered injury at some point allowing him a route back into the team. He has never gone more than a handful of games without being a starter. So far play to Johnson, he seems to take getting knocked back as a chance to come back harder!

If we believe stories about managers coming in for him from Premier League clubs then all the more credit for sticking with us. He is a North London boy and that’s where his heart and family are, indeed he spends a lot of his free time that way. It could have been very easy to move to a club making that part of his life easier. But no, he has shown commitment which is now being rewarded with goals, performances and adulation from fans.

I am looking forward to seeing how Dorrans fits in within our squad, especially considering he is generally a wide player. Redmond is possibly the most terrifying winger defenders will face in this league in terms of skill and pace and is hard to drop as a result. Tettey and Howson in the middle also appears to be by far our best central pairing. Hooper/Hoolahan/Andreu now are all taking turns (Hooper as No.1) playing the central no.10 role. Therefore in my eyes it appears at least the Johnson and Dorrans will be fighting for the same spot, at least some of the time. I like this scenario very much! Dorrans is a player I rate very highly as he always appeared to be one of the better West Brom players of the past few seasons, appearing as a naturally gifted player with a great work ethic. He should be eager to make his mark on his time with us a he is most probably here with a long term view to securing a longer term Premier League contract with us next season. As mentioned above though, Johnson will seemingly take this as a challenge to improve even further and make himself un-droppable!

What we do have is great options. There will be games where Johnson’s strength will be preferable to Dorrans guile, and vice-versa. I am hoping whether it be Johnson kicking on, or Dorrans coming in and offering something different, we have the squad to see us to the top.

No, its about actually knowing your football, and knowing what you are talking about. Its about making an informed opinion, based on actually going to games and seeing the whole picture.

And not losing your * because the players stats fall short of your expectations.

Re: This, got to be one of the most frustrating parts of being at games, the awful ignorant screams that bellow out from behind me. I have heard a lot from my position at Carrow Road over the years, and seem to hear more of it away from home recently. Not so much the stats part but the “losing your * ” part…

Over the years players may frustrate me at times but I resist out and out abuse or heckling, for example I sometimes say to myself ‘Johnson you tart’ under my breath (just to keep on theme!).

Last week at Charlton when at 2-2 and under pressure to wrestle back our control of the game Redmond received an early ball on the halfway line, tried to beat the full back and charge down the wing. Unfortunately he failed and the full back took it clean off him. From the middle of a group of 3-5 middle aged chaps (I am being generous with this description) behind me scream “REDMOND YOU USELES C U NEXT TUESDAY” as loud as possible.

This angered me greatly to say the least and I wanted to tell him what I thought of his methods of “supporting” our club but decided it better I carry on cheering and belting out OTBC etc as loudly as possible.

Does anyone ever tell other “supporters” to wind their horrible necks in, or more?

I did get one of our “fans” removed from the Emirates once but that was for pretty abohrant racist taunting of another fan. I know people will say guff like “I pay my money and am entitled to an opinion” etc, but that abuse of Redmond is not necessary!

For the record, Redmond was knackered and was subbed off about 2 minutes after the abuse.

[quote user="Brighton Yellow"]

No, its about actually knowing your football, and knowing what you are talking about. Its about making an informed opinion, based on actually going to games and seeing the whole picture.And not losing your * because the players stats fall short of your expectations.

Re: This, got to be one of the most frustrating parts of being at games, the awful ignorant screams that bellow out from behind me. I have heard a lot from my position at Carrow Road over the years, and seem to hear more of it away from home recently. Not so much the stats part but the “losing your * ” part…

Over the years players may frustrate me at times but I resist out and out abuse or heckling, for example I sometimes say to myself ‘Johnson you tart’ under my breath (just to keep on theme!).

Last week at Charlton when at 2-2 and under pressure to wrestle back our control of the game Redmond received an early ball on the halfway line, tried to beat the full back and charge down the wing. Unfortunately he failed and the full back took it clean off him. From the middle of a group of 3-5 middle aged chaps (I am being generous with this description) behind me scream “REDMOND YOU USELES C U NEXT TUESDAY” as loud as possible.

This angered me greatly to say the least and I wanted to tell him what I thought of his methods of “supporting” our club but decided it better I carry on cheering and belting out OTBC etc as loudly as possible.

Does anyone ever tell other “supporters” to wind their horrible necks in, or more?

I did get one of our “fans” removed from the Emirates once but that was for pretty abohrant racist taunting of another fan. I know people will say guff like “I pay my money and am entitled to an opinion” etc, but that abuse of Redmond is not necessary!

For the record, Redmond was knackered and was subbed off about 2 minutes after the abuse. [/quote]You don''t sit near me in the upper Barclay, do you lol?Yeah, I have had a few words to say to folks near me, especially when booing our players.

LDC - I completely understand what you''re saying but what my point highlights is that when he was apparently our midfield problem last season (according to your own words, but there were many others saying the same thing), at the end of that season Premier League clubs still wanted him. Which highlights my point that he''s more important to a team than people give him credit for.
Brighton - Completely agree regarding the fan stuff you''ve talked about. But in regards to Johnson you always seem to be finding an angle. There were times Tettey, Howson and Fer were picked ahead of Bradley Johnson but they were few and far between and he fought his way back into the side several times that were NOT injury related. Generally when he''s got himself in the team he tends to stay there. When he does occasionally get dropped it''s normally no more than 5 games till the manager has gone back and selected him again.
He''s a credit to NCFC and an absolutely massive player for us. The fact he has the passion and determination and commitment to the club are all very pleasing additional positives.

Morty, I sit elsewhere but because I share my actual season ticket with family I have become something of a Carrow Road tourist in recent seasons. I have sat in pretty much every part of the ground over the last few years as I have had to grab what tickets I could. I must say that my overriding memory of the Upper Barclay was sitting in between two old times who kept offering me sweets, very pleasant chaps!

Hogsear, I think he has been out of managers 1st choice plans at times, but injuries and his resilience, attitude and effort have meant he promptly returns. My hope is that what we are seeing now is not just him ‘finding his level’ and that as we hopefully progress, so does he. One of my biggest disappointments in recent years was Andrew Croft’s failure to step up when in the Premier League, partly because Johnson out performed him. I desperately wanted Crofts to be our key midfield man in the Prem!

[quote user="Brighton Yellow"]

Morty, I sit elsewhere but because I share my actual season ticket with family I have become something of a Carrow Road tourist in recent seasons. I have sat in pretty much every part of the ground over the last few years as I have had to grab what tickets I could. I must say that my overriding memory of the Upper Barclay was sitting in between two old times who kept offering me sweets, very pleasant chaps!

Hogsear, I think he has been out of managers 1st choice plans at times, but injuries and his resilience, attitude and effort have meant he promptly returns. My hope is that what we are seeing now is not just him ‘finding his level’ and that as we hopefully progress, so does he. One of my biggest disappointments in recent years was Andrew Croft’s failure to step up when in the Premier League, partly because Johnson out performed him. I desperately wanted Crofts to be our key midfield man in the Prem! [/quote]Oh don''t get me wrong, they are a great bunch, on the whole, where I sit, I have been there quite a few years now.But I think that everyone at Carrow road has "one of those" within earshot who loves the sound of his own opinions.And I find the whole insulting of players a bit pathetic, its like the perpetrator feels he has some kind of protection, because he is part of a crowd. And the reality is that if they weren''t, they would likely be quiet as a mouse.

And you''ve never forgiven him Brighton[:D]

As has been said there''s been some fantastic debate on this thread and i''ve enjoyed it. It also struck me that very few of the posters join in on Rays Funds. Now I wish you would because those threads belong to all the Pink Un posters. We could really do with your help guys. We really need new blood every season to freshen the threads and of course people are leaving and joining this board all the time. The explaination is here : -

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3221365/ShowPost.aspx

We''d love to have you on board.

[quote user="Brighton Yellow"]... I must say that my overriding memory of the Upper Barclay was sitting in between two old times who kept offering me sweets, very pleasant chaps!.....[/quote]

I do that every week in the Jarrold.....or at least I did do but my case comes up next week ( wink )