Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Bradley Johnson

Here’s another

potentially interesting point for those who disagree with my opinion, Bradley

Johnson has scored 7 of his 8 goals at Carrow Road this season. How many of you

posting within this thread attend any away games?

Could our differing

opinions be stemming from the range of matches we have seen him play in? A home

victory can appear very different to an away performance. For the record I have

only missed a handful of home and away matches in the last 6-7 years.

Ok, here''s a question-Brighton Yellow says that BJ keeps giving possession away by chipping balls into the corner-does anyone agree?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I don''t get this Brighton. It seems to me you value Tetteys strengths more than Johnsons. In fact in an earlier post you seem to suggest that one of Johnsons strengths is actually a weakness? The only way that would really work would be if each team took turns with the ball having 50% possession each. Then Tetteys superior passing stats would put Johnson in the shade. But like it or not football is as much about winning the ball as keeping it. So Johnsons superiority in tackling and intercepting are of great value to the team too. Its a bit of a chicken and egg conundrum trying to work out which player was more important to the team yesterday. But for me Johnsons goal wins it for him. One thing is for sure though. If Tettey also had Johnsons strengths or vice versa neither would be playing for Norwich.[/quote]

I agree Nutty. I will never understand why football fans so often develop this almost pathalogical refusal to recognise a player''s abilities or achievements, or indeed their progress.

Johnson has been totally immense this season and is now TODAY a more complete midfield player than he has ever been. So that means please ignore previous seasons, the player is PROGRESSING and IMPROVING season on season. Although him and Snodgrass were probably the only players to come out of last season with any credit too. Ok, in the past you have probably seen more effort than skill but he is way way more composed on the ball now, he carries more of a goal threat, he DOES break up play just has he has always done, he has a really important role in the team as regards assists and setting attacking moves up and then there is consistency - never injured, churns out game after game after game in a way that Tettey himself admits he can''t do.  

How can people ignore the role he has had in our games this season? Against Huddersfield when we were still all over the place in terms of form, he made sure we one that game. Against Charlton he did the same - set up both our first two goal by winning the ball in midfield.

Absolutely hands down, PoTS, no argument, no contest. Of course however, with our fans refusing to see him as anything more than a hard charging midfield henchman, that much deserved award is far from in the bag for him, despite the yards he has put in for this club since the day he walked through the door, and the quality and outcomes he is now showing.  

Sorry buddy but Im not having that. Your opinion is no better because you attend more games. I used to go to virtually every game for years and found that many fans who do that didn''t know more about our team than those who go to some games. Fans who go to every game still have their scapegoats and their favourites just like those who don''t.

[quote user="Brighton Yellow"]

Here’s another

Could our differing

[/quote]

Yeah, he''s not up to much in away games. WATCH very carefully Brighton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpaFcofq6go

Year of the tiger wrote the following post at 16/02/2015 12:46 PM: "there are still limitations to his game which frustrate me in every match."

Sounds like confirmation bias to me. Looking at the Wolves game, I don''t see how you could find anything frustrating in Johnson''s performance unless you were pre-disposed to doing so.

Tettey MOTM for me, but Johnson a close second.

"If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing it is stupid"

Johnson is showcasing his massive advantages at the moment. His strength, this desire, his exponentialy growing technical ability and passing range.

Come the important games, come the Derby, he''s the man I want in the trenches.

Here’s another

Could our differing

[/quote]

You can learn a lot today Brighton. Here''s your homework from Lesson 2.

WATCH Bournemouth away - probably the result of the season so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCDEp3tQcXo

And here are your learning points from lesson two: Johnson wins corner from which we equalise. Johnson sets up Jerome for winner. Johson''s not much use away from home.

There''s a trick one in there. Can you spot it?

Nutty, I had a feeling you would reply as such!

I am in no way saying my opinion is better than yours. As I said in my post,

it is a question I raised as a result of noticing that 77% of his goals this

season have been scored at Carrow Road. Point being, does the sight of a player

scoring goals regularly help to endear them to fans. The percentage of games in

which I have seen Johnson score, as a regular away fan is therefore way lower

than home only fans.

Nowhere in this post am I trying to suggest or insinuate that I am a better

fan than others, merely attempting to engage in a reasoned debate. I am so far

pleasantly surprised considering the first response to my initial post couldn’t

resist suggesting I tried to chat up Johnson because I am from Brighton (I’m

not from Brighton)!

Anyway, I am not trying to suggest he is rubbish, I can see he has improved

this season. However, we are playing at a lower level which could suggest he is

playing at a level better suited to his attributes. I do wonder what will

happen when we have another midfield option however, as for me Tettey and

Howson have to start in the middle when available. What happens when/if we ever

see a fully fit Vadis or when/if Dorrans comes on loan?

I personally believe it would be Johnson to make way at some point as he is

better suited to playing out wide, however I do think an immediate switch would

be harsh. For all his efforts, abilities and goals, Dorrans could be the extra

bit of attacking quality we need to see us over the line come the end of the season.

All hypothetical of course…

It''s simple as any player coming in that wants Bradley Johnsons spot in the side has to take it from him.

It''s their responsibility to prove they are better, Johnson is playing well and scoring goals. It''s very simple.

Even I can see - as one of Johnson''s staunchest critics - that his level of performance has improved even since earlier in the season.  Every player has their faults, but you have to weigh their faults against their good points.   For quite a long time I thought Johnson was part of our midfield problem, under Lambert, Hughton and earlier with Adams when we had our bad spell.  The move to the left has been good for him and the team (yes, Jenkins, credit to Adams for that).  He has grown in stature and confidence this season and even more so since a strong manager has arrived.   So the balance at the moment is in his favour. Playing well, with confidence, scoring goals. But if he went off form, started giving the ball away too much, then his position would be in doubt. I somehow get the feeling that it won''t happen with this manager because there is a simple message which all players can understand - give your utmost, play well, or you won''t be in the team.

I did not say he was up to much in away games, simply stating that the vast majority og his goals this term have been scored at home this season which may encourage home fans to value him more than fans who see only away, or home and away games. Its hard to have a reasoned discussion on here if people twist what i say everytime.

Anyway, i am off to buy an EDP now and admire Bradley''s cracking barnet. It really does work well with this years kit...

lake district canary wrote the following post at 16/02/2015 1:23 PM:

"But if he went off form, started giving the ball away too much, then his position would be in doubt."

How is that different from any other player?

[quote user="Fr. Chewy Louie"]lake district canary wrote the following post at 16/02/2015 1:23 PM:

"But if he went off form, started giving the ball away too much, then his position would be in doubt."

How is that different from any other player?[/quote]

Not different at all, but this thread is about Johnson, not other players. 

I did not say he was up to much in away games, simply stating that the vast majority og his goals this term have been scored at home this season which may encourage home fans to value him more than fans who see only away, or home and away games. Its hard to have a reasoned discussion on here if people twist what i say everytime.

Anyway, i am off to buy an EDP now and admire Bradley''s cracking barnet. It really does work well with this years kit...

[/quote]

Lol re the barnet.

It''s really not such a twist though is it if you''re going to point out that he has scored 7 out of 8 goals at home and that his ''value'' away from home is not what it is at home. He scored on of the goals of the season away at Reading and as my links show, he basically orchestrated recent away wins over Bournemouth and Charlton, without obviously diminishing the team and other player''s roles in those games. But my real point is the guy is absolutely in the thick of the action nearly all the time. People may scoff at this but i''d even go as far as to say he has take part of Hoolahan''s creative role. In previous seasons, much of what we did that was good went through him. Now Hools is a bit of a squad player, it''s Bradders through which so much of our good forward play goes. Not all of it of course but in Hool''s absence we have needed to share the creative burden around and BJ has taken on a big part of that. Not just in assists but in the build up play to an assist and a goal. Charlton being a classic example.

Having now bought and indeed read the Pink’un pull out in

today’s EDP I can confirm that Tettey was given a 9/10 rating with Johnson and

Grabban both getting 8/10, high scores indeed! I am not sure I recall seeing

many 9/10’s this season, if ever so Tettey was a clear MOTM in the eyes of the

local press.

They do also heap praise on Johnson, as they do pretty much

all of the team and management. How very nice to be able to savour such a

satisfying win!

Not having a dig, but if Johnson had taken all of his very

presentable (I know this can be said of many but they were clear cut chances)

chances in the last two games he would be our top scorer.

This all reminds me of a couple of years ago when a "fan" absolutely laid in to holty for apparently "takun a rooght old blummun craap corner!"

Apart from it being pretty peurile and incredibly stupid to judge one of our best strikers ever on his corner taking abilities it turned out he didn''t even take the corner anyway.

Our fans, ladies and gentlemen.

Here’s another

What a ludicrous post. We have scored 15 fewer goals away from home, hence probably every player has scored less. Johnson was deployed as a fully defensive midfielder for a majority of those games, which being away means he had greater defensive responsibilities.

Could our differing

[/quote]

“he basically orchestrated

recent away wins over Bournemouth and Charlton” – Not sure I can quite agree with

that! He did well against Charlton and made two telling contributions for the

goals, he also missed a real guilt edged chance when put on a plate by Hooper

and nearly got so worked up following a coming together that he was sent off.

Whilst I agree he contributed

tellingly to good things happening at Bournemouth, he also failed miserably for

Bournemouth’s goal. It was he who allowed Ritchie a clear shot for his goal,

seemingly unaware or unable to spot/deal with the danger of an on rushing wide

player. This is an example of one of the aspects of his game that people

overlook / don’t notice, perhaps because of his effort. It’s rare that goals

conceded away from home caused by such basic lapses can be recovered from. But

fair play, he did do well covering ground when Howson was (ridiculous decision)

sent off.

In terms of creativity then

Howson is the key man for that in our squad now, but of course success comes as

a result of the whole team playing well and Johnson is certainly contributing

significantly, although perhaps not as significantly as others perceive.

Buh, why does this remind you

of that situation? Not sure I see the similarity?

This site really is yesterday''s technology. My answer above is in the middle of the "quote" starting " what a ludicrous post". Edit button, Edit button, my sanity for an edit button.

How is it ludicrous? If a fan

see’s a player score goals regularly, is it not plausible that they will

consider them with more esteem than fans that don’t? That is the point I was

trying to raise, which you have kind of answered in suggesting that he is able

to play a more attacking style of game at home. I really don’t think it’s

ludicrous at all, why the hyperbole? It’s simply a question of how opinions may

be gauged / formed.

What is relevant is the fact that some fans focus on weaknesses of players and why they shouldn''t be in the team rather than what they bring that is an advantage.

Judging grant holt on his ability to take corners is as relevant as judging Bradley Johnson on his ability to go round A full back.

He''s not Nathan Redmond but then again Nathan Redmond isn''t bradley Johnson

Have we considered that currently we have the strengths of both employed? And it''s working

I really don''t think the local press can be used to endorse any views. That''s just a guy who saw the game same as you and I Brighton. In fact there''s posters on this thread whose opinions I would value more. I could suggest you look at the independent ratings on whoscored.com. Look, BJ was my MOM and you thought Tettey. I''m happy with that. But what I''m not happy with is how you seem to want to discredit Johnsons performance with views that seem to be entrenched from previous games. And the idea that those who have a different view are somehow being conned by BJs sweaty brow...

Agreed. However, I have not been comparing Johnson

with Redmond or wingers. I did pose the question as to whom people might prefer

if Snodgrass or Dorrans were here but no one replied.

My point as originally stated is that I think some

fans overplay his contributions as he appears to try the hardest. A great

example is someone selecting him over Tettey for Saturday’s MOTM when Tettey

put in the best performance of any midfielder this season. Yes Johnson got a

goal, but it was from a corner, any player regardless of performance can nod a

ball in from 7 yards.

Johnson for me does what is expected of him as a

midfielder most of the time and beside the goals this season, not much else! I

do agree however that whatever it is he is doing at the moment is working and

long may it continue.

The thread was originally about praising his recent

performances and I am simply of the opinion that they are perhaps not as good

as they seem, case in point being the earlier reference to the Bournemouth game

in which he ‘orchestrated the win’ – not true! I really think that fans fall

for him in a way they don’t for other players because he appears to try harder.

Perhaps it’s partly filling the huge Grant Holt shaped void in our hearts? The

ultimate Canary mix of attitude, effort and ability?

[quote user="Fr. Chewy Louie"]Year of the tiger wrote the following post at 16/02/2015 12:46 PM: "there are still limitations to his game which frustrate me in every match."

Sounds like confirmation bias to me. Looking at the Wolves game, I don''t see how you could find 6anything frustrating in Johnson''s performance unless you were pre-disposed to doing so.

Tettey MOTM for me, but Johnson a close second.[/quote]

Now I''m confused. My reply at 12.46 was about how was my first name on the team sheet. Where did the other quote come from. Copy of my post below.

e tiger

Re: Bradley Johnson

FAO Brighton. I attend every away game & BJ would be the first name on my team sheet. Seems I agree with the Prem managers who wanted to sign him 

Brighton, you are blaming him for goals conceded when we''ve conceded lots and lots of goals this season that can be attributed to any player you care to mention. I will defend that ''orchestrated'' comment because he believed we''d win that game and he had a key role in both our goals AND was a key figure in keeping them out when we were down to 10.  And as for Charlton, directly involved in goals that put us two up while it was TETTEY who screwed up to let them in for their first goal. Funny how you don''t mention that! Tettey has yet to show since he has been here that he can string together a full or even half a season of really consistent performances before he burns out.

Then you''re having a go for him missing chances when his goals for record this season clearly show that he has improved on conversions immeasurably. Yet you''re still saying he''s missing too many eventhough he already has 8 goals from midfield. Fact is, if he was going to shut you up he''d be scoring hight teens (which is not beyond him this season) and then tbh if he doesn''t go up with us he will get poached off us by a premier league team.

I don''t see you slagging Grabban for missing chances and he has missed some absolute sitters this season, as in fact has Jerome come to that. And they''re strikers.  

“Sounds like

confirmation bias to me. Looking at the Wolves game, I don''t see how you could

find 6anything frustrating in Johnson''s performance unless you were

pre-disposed to doing so.”

I saw him give

the ball away at least twice by chipping balls to no one in the corner when

under no real pressure. You may not notice this so much as he has not been as frequent

at doing so recently. This is my key point, and he is indeed improving, I have

never disputed this (although I could by cynical and point out we are now

playing at a lower level) he needs to keep things simple more often and play

within his own limitations at times.

In terms of other

players missing chances, making mistakes etc I know, of course they have / do. This

thread is about Johnson and I am of the opinion that he still needs to do more

for me to consider him out POTS. That’s not to say I don’t think he is doing

really well at the moment. However his performances, despite the goals have not

been as great as some make out!

I like Tettey

because he knows his task and he generally executes it very well, of course not

always perfectly.

I believe if we

had a fully fit Johnny Howson for a whole season then he would be POTS.

There just seems to be something that draws some of

you in to the Brad Love Zone!

Anyway, good discussion on the whole. I’m out now…

If anyone wants to discuss more over a pint at Watford

then give me a shout!