Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Automatic looks to be gone

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Bournemouth and Boro already won, Derby two up, even if we win today can''t see us catching up.[/quote]If you ever got to a game you''d probably leave after an hour........

I think most of us accepted that last week.

Judging from the lack of interest/activity on here today, I reckon more have even accepted the play-offs could be touch and go too.

Can''t remember a message board so quiet on a matchday.

Good spell just now though - Come on City!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="CANARYKING"]Bournemouth and Boro already won, Derby two up, even if we win today can''t see us catching up.[/quote]If you ever got to a game you''d probably leave after an hour........[/quote]

Not missed a home game for 15 years, thank you very much

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Bournemouth and Boro already won, Derby two up, even if we win today can''t see us catching up.[/quote]Last weeks result made it much more difficult.

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"]I think most of us accepted that last week.

Judging from the lack of interest/activity on here today, I reckon more have even accepted the play-offs could be touch and go too.

Can''t remember a message board so quiet on a matchday.

Good spell just now though - Come on City![/quote]Yep[Y]

Absolute rubbish - the season we got to the play-offs we were 7pts behind with 7 games to go: absolutely nothing is decided with a third of the season still to play.

I''m surprised anyone even considered automatic was still possible. With our inconsistency and Derby, Bournemouth and Boro''s consistency auto promotion is just a pipe dream. Best to hope we could squeak 6th on last game of season as in 2000. Get game against a team that will be disheartened having missed out on auto. Win that and in final where anything possible. Now thats more of a realistic pipe dream.

[quote user="pete"]I''m surprised anyone even considered automatic was still possible. With our inconsistency and Derby, Bournemouth and Boro''s consistency auto promotion is just a pipe dream. Best to hope we could squeak 6th on last game of season as in 2000. Get game against a team that will be disheartened having missed out on auto. Win that and in final where anything possible. Now thats more of a realistic pipe dream.[/quote]

This^

Tbh, I''d given up on automatic promotion afer the Reading debacle just after Xmas. Even then it required us to have a seriously good run and THREE of Ips, Boro, Derby and Bournemouth to have bad runs. Now you can effectively say that scenario, and add Brentford and Watford to make 5 out of six to have bad runs. Simply not going to happen.I still think that the play offs are a realistic target, and one that AN and the players must focus on. If he can sort some of the silly goals against (good evidence that that was being addressed yesterday) then there is absolutely no reason why we should not finish in the top four or five.

Hanging on by our finger nails for a chance to scrape into 6th - best we can hope for

We need to strengthen squad for a push - but got no cash - sign of things to come I''m afraid but then we can all cheer Delia when we have the odd win

[quote user="Newton"]Hanging on by our finger nails for a chance to scrape into 6th - best we can hope for We need to strengthen squad for a push - but got no cash - sign of things to come I''m afraid but then we can all cheer Delia when we have the odd win[/quote]

So 3 points off a play off spot is hanging on by our fingernails with 18 games to go ?

No cash...really who has said that ?

More anti club $hyte from our Newton.

we can finish in the playoffs. I would hope to see one or 2 new faces in either today or on loan.

Strength in depth is important and whilst we have it, we should always be looking to improve the squad in some way to push us over the line..

will we do it? time will tell... the top 2 is beyond us now.

In respect of the OP, this has been the case for a while now as we have been behind the "two points per game curve" required for autmotic promotion long before recent results. What I will say is if we go on a good run in our remaining games there is still hope for us, but it is very slim as we need to be averaging 2.66 points per game (we are currently averaging 1.57 points per game)

Looking ahead, I think Derby will win the league. Their last six games are against Wigan, Brentford, Blackpool, Huddersfield, Millwall and Reading. Bournemouth''s last six games are all against teams who may have nothing to play for - Birmingham, Brighton, Reading, Sheff Wed, Bolton and Charlton. If we can beat Ipswich, Derby and Middlesbrough at home then we''re definitely in with a shout, but despite our fantastic momentum it will still take a remarkable run to finish in the top two IMO.

[quote user="Newton"]Hanging on by our finger nails for a chance to scrape into 6th - best we can hope for

We need to strengthen squad for a push - but got no cash - sign of things to come I''m afraid but then we can all cheer Delia when we have the odd win[/quote]I expect the only way we can achieve 6th place is to throw the game against Ipswich. Which curiously is the only way they are likely to win that game. It is also a relief that WBA didn''t want any money for Dorrans, or Hamilton for Andreu come to that. I also assume you will be stopping on at Carrow Road after Sunday''s game to cheer Delia.

[quote user="TomMoore"][quote user="Newton"]Hanging on by our finger nails for a chance to scrape into 6th - best we can hope for

We need to strengthen squad for a push - but got no cash - sign of things to come I''m afraid but then we can all cheer Delia when we have the odd win[/quote]I expect the only way we can achieve 6th place is to throw the game against Ipswich. Which curiously is the only way they are likely to win that game. It is also a relief that WBA didn''t want any money for Dorrans, or Hamilton for Andreu come to that. I also assume you will be stopping on at Carrow Road after Sunday''s game to cheer Delia.[/quote]I really, really hope that this brazen overconfidence doesn''t come to bite you in the arse on Sunday. Yes we''re a better team, on better form, with home advantage... but I''m always reluctant to stick my neck out too much before derby matches. I feel extremely positive right now, but let''s keep a sense of perspective here. You''re treating the top two like it''s a fait accompli, and that''s both facile and unwise in a league as unpredictable as this. There''s many a slip twixt cup and lip...