Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Absolutely Critical Month

So here we are. After the early promise of an easy instant return, the Championship reared it''s unpredictable, ugly head.

We now go one of two ways. Our next three games are against clubs doing worse than ourselves and what better time to arrest the slide of poor results than Saturday.

If we can get out of this rut and get 9 points from the next three, we''ll likely be going to Derby with the potential of closing the gap on them to less than 3 points.

We have the players and hopefully our biggest areas of failing (sticking easy chances away and giving away easy chances) will simply be thwarted with the introduction of a fully fit Hooper and Ryan Bennett back in the side.

If we are at least in the playoffs by the end of December, we can push on as everyone knows you''re only ever 1 decent run away from getting promoted if you put yourselves close to the top 2.

Any news on when Wes is back because I felt we looked good when Him and Redmond were both scheming and it was too much for most sides at this level.

A pretty fair resumé of the immediate prospects, Jimmy.Of course we all hope that something akin to what you suggest will happen , and we go into the Christmas period only a couple of points or so off one of the prized top two places.The other side of the coin, of course is, as I suggested in a posting on one of Sunday''s threads, that we could make a complete and utter pig''s ear of Reading, Wigan, Huddersfield and Derby and render it, barring a fantastic turn-round in 2015, virtually impossible to get an automatic spot.No doubt, with the benefit of many seasons following of NCFC, and as you rightly say, the unpredictability of the Championship,  it''ll actually end up somewhere between the two. But it''s fair to say that it''s a critical period.So, I wonder what do people think would be a likely or reasonable haul up till  Xmas

Agree Jimmy that we have 3 crucial games coming up in Reading (h) Wigan (a) Huddersfield (h) and as you say we need to get all 9 pts from those games to put us back in the mix, anything less could  as Reggie posted  see us drift further away  especially with 3  away games coming up at Derby, Reading and Bournemouth, none of which will be easy.
Even if we averaged 2 pts per game for the remaining 28 fixtures that would only give us 83pts and a play off place, so a run of wins is a must for a top 2 spot.

Our current situation is more galling as there''s only really the Boro game where we''d hold up our hands and say "fair enough, you were the better team." Throwing away the win at Forest, the Charlton game, the Brighton game, need I go on.

I''m not bemoaning our luck, more at a bit of a loss to explain why we can dominate games so well and still not win enough. There is obviously something amiss when teams constructed for £10k can be above us in the table.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Our current situation is more galling as there''s only really the Boro game where we''d hold up our hands and say "fair enough, you were the better team." Throwing away the win at Forest, the Charlton game, the Brighton game, need I go on. I''m not bemoaning our luck, more at a bit of a loss to explain why we can dominate games so well and still not win enough. There is obviously something amiss when teams constructed for £10k can be above us in the table.[/quote]

But when that team is below again then the status quo will be maintained and they won''t be anything to worry about.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Correct. Our current place in the football world should see us at least challenging promotion from the championship.[/quote]Hmmm. Don''t disagree, Jimmy, but there was, I remember, a year or so go on here, an almighty rumpus where it was suggested that certain players and the club were "underachieving" . A lot of ''shock, horror'' type comments ensued,  a number of dummies were spat out,and a lot of toys were thrown out of a lot of prams . The suggestion, in short, being that there was no such thing as ''underachievement''.But, if the scenario you mention is not seen this season then that is , to my mind, underachievement.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]The Christmas period is a critical time for all teams
[/quote]

Rudolph, Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder, and Blitzen spring to mind

Not forgetting SANTA himself[:D]