Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

We have really missed Wes...

During this recent dismal run I feel we have played well but it always seemed that extra spark is missing that Wes Hoolahan provides. From winning positions in the last couple of games (2-1 on Saturday and 1-0 at Forest) we seemed unable to put the games out of reach. The opposition pushing forward looking for an equalizer is a position that Wes excels in and I think we would have gone on to win both games comfortably if he had been available.Although the little fella has many critics it seems many agree with me.......

The top three players this season based on reader ratings out of 10… Wes (6.23), Tettey (6.22) and Jerome (6.21)

Hurry back Wes, we need you. [:D]

Strange he seemed to go right off the boil just before he was injured, With Adams trying to accommodate him at any cost despite having an unbalanced shape and fans screaming for him to be dropped, short memories on this forum.....

Didn''t go off the boil, played in the wrong position. Stupid fans screaming for him to be dropped because they didn''t and don''t realise what he brings to the team.

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Strange he seemed to go right off the boil just before he was injured, With Adams trying to accommodate him at any cost despite having an unbalanced shape and fans screaming for him to be dropped, short memories on this forum.....[/quote]Well, I wasn''t screaming for him to be dropped......

Neither was I. But the idea that Wes can only play in a certain position is crazy and quite disrespectful to Wes. Wes can play in many attacking positions including wide left. He had a great game wide left against Charlton. I would say the best performance of anyone in that position all season.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Neither was I. But the idea that Wes can only play in a certain position is crazy and quite disrespectful to Wes. Wes can play in many attacking positions including wide left. He had a great game wide left against Charlton. I would say the best performance of anyone in that position all season.

[/quote]

Best performance of anyone in the wide left position in the season isn''t really saying much.

We''ve looked most dangerous and effective when playing 4-2-3-1 with Wes behind the striker. He can play wide left but is far far less effective there and the midfield is far more exposed. His performances were dropping and he was frustrated as a result.

Of course he can ''do a job'' wide left but it is clearly not his preferred or best position.

Good news re Wes, Neil said he''s back running and is only 2 weeks away so will be available for selection before Xmas

[quote user="cityangel"]Good news re Wes, Neil said he''s back running and is only 2 weeks away so will be available for selection before Xmas[/quote]

Wherever is he that it will take him a fortnight to run back to Norwich ? [:^)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="cityangel"]Good news re Wes, Neil said he''s back running and is only 2 weeks away so will be available for selection before Xmas[/quote]

Wherever is he that it will take him a fortnight to run back to Norwich ? [:^)]

[/quote]
Very funny[:D] you knew what I meant!

Yep, missed him more than people will admit.

For all his flaws etc we don''t look as good a unit without him.

Always think he gives the team an identity and someone to play through - no one else has stepped up to the plate. Howsons a very good player but in my opinion can''t perform the same role as well.

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]Best performance of anyone in the wide left position in the season isn''t really saying much.

We''ve looked most dangerous and effective when playing 4-2-3-1 with Wes behind the striker. He can play wide left but is far far less effective there and the midfield is far more exposed. His performances were dropping and he was frustrated as a result.

Of course he can ''do a job'' wide left
but it is clearly not his preferred or best position.[/quote]Considering he was signed as a left winger it''s hardly surprising he can ''do a job'' there lol. Do you reckon he told us it wasn''t his ''preferred position'' when we signed him?

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Neither was I. But the idea that Wes can only play in a certain position is

crazy and quite disrespectful to Wes. Wes can play in many attacking positions

including wide left. He had a great game wide left against Charlton. I would say

the best performance of anyone in that position all season.

[/quote] Best performance of anyone in the wide left position in the season

isn''t really saying much. We''ve looked most dangerous and effective when playing

4-2-3-1 with Wes behind the striker. He can play wide left but is far far less

effective there and the midfield is far more exposed. His performances were

dropping and he was frustrated as a result. Of course he can ''do a job'' wide

left but it is clearly not his preferred or best position.[/quote]

Agreed it isn''t saying much because we''ve struggled to have a great

performance there all season. But given that then what it does say is he''s

probably our best option to play there....

Another great place for Wes to play is from the bench. Especially in physical

games through the hard winter months where teams set out to stop us playing.

Sometimes this is the way forward where we can unleash a fit Wes onto tiring

defenders rather than from the start when they''re fresh. But whatever you prefer

Wes is one of the few players who can hurt the opposition from a variety of

positions. He is a big miss.

I will admit I am not one of hoolahoops biggest fans

I always believed we had brought in players who could help us with plan b etc but it is clear they never materialised into that.

Toivenen or now VOO I hope take his place as we need to move on. We have relied on hoolahoops for many years. He has, to his credit been good. I may criticise him for many things and his lack of goals infuriates me as with all the good work he still needs to score a fair few.

Right now do we miss him, well we do but if we had a fully fit squad I would want to see VOO given his chance he should be an upgrade. We have had players eb, Howson, pilky, readers come in to take that role but none have done it.

I think we need a replacement for hoolahoops for the long term and I agree I am happy seeing him on the bench as it means we are moving forward, otherwise it feels we haven''t and relying on a creative player who was on top form 4-5 seasons ago.

That is our problem we never upgrade individuals or positions or have players improve year on year.

When he comes back he will force his way in but I hope he has competition with VOO cause we need a fair few chomping at the bit to save our season