Sign in to follow this  
Barndoor

Premier league offers

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

I gave you a constructive response but of course you will choose to sit behind your laptop banging away on here all day attempting to cement your thought that McNally was not telling the truth.

[/quote]So. suggesting that I write to DMN telling him he''s a liar is your idea of a ''constructive response'' then Tilly ?Look. I could come on here and say that someone has offered me a million quid for my house. It does not make it factual evidence. Do you believe everything you read ? Can you not read between lines ? Heaven preserve us.Apart from the players who were sold, and the rumours of Southampton in for Redmond, please show me any other credible offer from an EPL team for any of our players over the last few months.

Oh yeah, McGrandles, the lad who was earning rave reviews in training... Might as well give him a go at LM really.

I forgot completely about our big money Belgian too, I wonder where Vadis will fit in if he is ever fit enough to play for us again?

Whether you "like " or rate players I really cannot see the point in finding a negative in McNally''s statement. I suppose we could field the under 21s and hope for the best but I would assume that there is a bit more to football that that.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 25/11/2014 11:03 PM:

mrs miggins wrote:

*facepalm, why didn''t we cash in, why didn''t we cash in

----

I sometimes wish the old players would just go away and lets get some new ones in. I somehow feel that some of the old guard have been through too much at Norwich, Ruddy has had a torrid time the last two seasons at the hands of premiership strikers. Martin too looks to have lost some of his freshness. This is going to sound harsh, but this season I think Johnson looks like a bit of a League 1 player punching above his weight. He scored a couple of goals, but for the team''s sake he is not quick enough to be a box to box player and his passing isn''t good enough to be a playmaker. So we get gaps behind, we get out of shape - as happened against Bolton when he came on. This could be down to the manager asking him to play that role - but is he suited to it? I don''t think so, not at this level.

Wes is another who doesn''t do it for me any more. This season he has been all over the pitch, again leaving gaps - and not creating that much either - mainly dead ends and for a forward attacking player, not enough shots or goals - and the team often looking stronger when he has left the pitch.

I would dearly like to see the youngsters given their head. Tell them they are good enough, stick them on the pitch and let them find their feet. The two Murphys on the wings with Redmond in the no 10 role, Jerome or Hooper up front. A defensive midfielder - Tettey maybe - to hold the line with the defence. Two other midfielders Voo (when fit) and O''Neill to patrol the midfield, Rudd in goal. Anyone here since the Lambert days has shot their bolt - complete high with Lambert and through the mill the last two seasons with all the Hughton stuff.

In the cold light of day I''ll think no, lets be more pragmatic, but at this moment in time, with the way the season''s gone so far, I would say get rid of the ones that aren''t performing and get some fresh blood in. We can''t be doing much worse than we are at the moment in terms of promotion stakes, so its got to be worth a try. A brave manager to meet the challenges head on, not pandering to pampered players hoping they might just pull their fingers out. That''s what Hughton did - and it didn''t help him either.

----------------------------------------

Just to clarify LDC, I was only talking about cashing in on Johnson when we had the chance because I think he is replaceable, not the other members of the team.

If we did that then we would be where Fulham are now. The players have the quality and they are showing it, the tactics however, oh the tactics.

Ruddy

martin Turner Bassong Olsson

Redmond Howson Tettey Pilkington

Jerome Hooper

Now thats a championship winning side no question about it, the majority of the blame is not in the players.

The problem i have with your theory LDC, and baring in mind i''ve only glanced over it - is it IS accepting mid-table obscurity.

The main reason why promotion is so possible this season isn''t because we have some potentially good youngsters - it''s because we have a team with Premier League experience.

That''s why many worry about us not getting promoted this season - because those players will leave.

My point being - it''s FAR FAR too early to throw the towel in and go "Ah, might as well throw in the youngsters, they''ll run around a lot". If we were a Sheff Weds with limited resources in a relegation battle then yes - by all means that''s a possible go-to.

As it stands, we''re in a promotion chase and this is no time to be unduly throwing in youngsters on the basis they show a little promise. Jacob should come back a better player and might get some sub game time - Murphy hasn''t shown enough in his previous start to indicate he deserves another yet.

People criticise the boards ambition but in this same thread are determined to criticise further by now claiming they maybe SHOULD have sold all our good Premier League players.

Which is interesting - because nearly everyone, including yourself LDC - pre-season - stated the importance of keeping our players for this season.

You raise some fair points Hog . As I stated earlier, my view on youngsters is that they should be blooded in tandem with the better performing senior players , and when the time is right . And it''s certainly not the time for wholesale team changes , mass introduction of youngsters or towel throwing just yet.But this leads on to another interesting line of conjecture......it''s speculation , I know, but in your opinion , if we''d have held on to all our players, and kept, Fer, Snodders, Pilkington and RvW would our position be any better now with them in the squad  ? And yes, I do realise that without their sales, we would not have bought several of the summer acquisitions.

Yep Reggie, I excluding RvW i feel the rest could all offer something to us.

Pilkington sale at the time didn''t seem too farfetched but how much would most of us like the option now? I think most of us would. If he''d have stayed as just an ''option'' is somewhat irrelevant in terms of this conjecture!

We''re not as blessed in central midfield as we''d like to think. And Snodgrass in my opinion is our biggest miss - the amount he created and scored last season was quite remarkable considering the kind of football we were playing.

As it is, I agree with you regarding the youngsters. Being fair to Adams it''s worth noting that it must be harder to include them when the team''s playing poorly. If we were top and 6 points clear - everyone playing well - you can almost accommodate for the inconsistency of one or two young players. When you''re not playing well, they sometimes become more of a negative than a positive. Of course, that''s not always true. I remember when Chris Martin broke onto the scene - that was a breath of fresh air.

[quote user="hogesar"].

As it is, I agree with you regarding the youngsters. Being fair to Adams it''s worth noting that it must be harder to include them when the team''s playing poorly. If we were top and 6 points clear - everyone playing well - you can almost accommodate for the inconsistency of one or two young players. When you''re not playing well, they sometimes become more of a negative than a positive. .[/quote]Well, again that''s pretty much what I was saying earlier.  I''m sure I''ll get shouted down for being unneccessarily negative here, but, to be fair to LDC, this season really does have the unwanted potential for his ''mid table obscurity'' to be the best we can hope for. I''m not saying a further plunge down the table is certain to happen, but it could, and it doesn''t take too much of a deterioration in form/confidence for it to be reality. It''s happened before in all four leagues. And any temptation to shove a load of youngsters in to try and arrest this slide could have horrendous effects on their confidence.I''d certainly agree that Snodders is our biggest miss . It''s bizarre that Leroy Fer, who was little more than a bit part player here seems to be a regular for an albeit struggling QPR side, doesn''t it ?

I may be wrong here, but doesn''t a club have to accept a formal bid before it gets to the point where a player can decide whether he wants to stay or leave? If that is the case, did we really accept offers for all of the above players only for each one, to a man, to decline the opportunity of talking to the respective PL clubs and help Norwich return there instead?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]

It does not make it factual evidence. Do you believe everything you read ?
[/quote]

Now then Reggie I have now heard this twice straight from the lips of David McNally once last night in front of 300 people and a couple of months back in front of a pub full of fans after a game. I did not read it anywhere, not third hand via someone else or from an anonymous poster on a social media site. His is good enough for me. You obviously do not believe his word so no matter what way you dress it up your implication is that McNally is talking out of his backside or he is a liar. Do you seriously expect him to say we had bids for A, B and C from X, Y and Z and those bids were so and so million. Would that make it any more believable to you unless of course you could prove he was making it up by checking it out with these other clubs ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]

It does not make it factual evidence. Do you believe everything you read ?
[/quote]

Now then Reggie I have now heard this twice straight from the lips of David McNally once last night in front of 300 people and a couple of months back in front of a pub full of fans after a game. I did not read it anywhere, not third hand via someone else or from an anonymous poster on a social media site. His * is good enough for me. You obviously do not believe his word so no matter what way you dress it up your implication is that McNally is talking out of his backside or he is a liar. Do you seriously expect him to say we had bids for A, B and C from X, Y and Z and those bids were so and so million. Would that make it any more believable to you unless of course you could prove he was making it up by checking it out with these other clubs ?

[/quote]

His word.

[quote user="Chip20"]I may be wrong here, but doesn''t a club have to accept a formal bid before it gets to the point where a player can decide whether he wants to stay or leave? If that is the case, did we really accept offers for all of the above players only for each one, to a man, to decline the opportunity of talking to the respective PL clubs and help Norwich return there instead?[/quote]

I don''t think so. Apparently all but two of last years squad were happy to stay. I don''t think any of them turned down any offers to go. The club would know of the interest but would surely have told the interested parties that the players were not for sale.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]Just simply no, LDC. We''ve seen the impact of bringing in one youth player (Murphy) and it hasn''t worked, hes been too naive defensively and hasnt been working for the team. With the team as disjointed as it is at the moment, bringing in more unproven, naive players will just make the situation worse (or at the absolute best) too unpredictable. We have a good squad, we have good players. Johnson is a good player, Wes is an excellent player. Play them correctly and watch us win more games than not. I want an experienced manager playing our experienced championship players correctly. As it looks like we''re stuck with Adams for now, the mixture of an inexperienced manager playing a whole new bunch of inexperienced players sounds like we''ve given up on any hope of promotion. The players aren''t the problem.[/quote]

Quote Alan Hansen " You never win anything with kids"

Cough cough...he was certainly proved VERY wrong!

Adams very early on stated that if they were good enough they were old enough, then fell back onto his "experienced" players.

It''s an old failing that effects some  new managers to let the senior pros have far to much say.

[/quote]

Technically Hansen WASN''T wrong though.. he said that about a team that did have the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Butt, Neville etc... but lets remember this team had Bruce, Schmeichel, Irwin, Robson, Hughes, Cantona, some bloke named Phelan, Kanchleskis Even Parker was still hanging around.. the spine of the team and the majority were experienced.

In my view we still have a squad perfectly capable of automatic promotion, I don''t think we need to panic buy except for an upgrade at CB and we have good youth players.

Any upgrades would probably cost £5-6m each and even then there is no guarantee of success.

I like the balance we have, I like some of the new guys and the old ones have the experience and have proven themselves, at times, at the highest level.

No, for me the problem is largely at the managerial level. Neil Adams is an easy target and I am still believing that with MP he can turn it round, but there are hints of things that are not quite there. Examples:

1. Adams has pretty much admitted there is no on field leader. There is no Malky, Iwan, Hux or Holt to galvanise. OK to take Bassong out if he is disruptive, but needs someone else- O''Neil perhaps?

2. He has obviously been given a target to get back to playing more attacking football. The Board are probably worried about potential drop off in ST sales after a torrid two years of sterility. Difficult to get the balance right immediately.

3. When can you risk the youth? Not at the bottom when the stakes are too high, not at the top when you push for promotion. Mid table mediocrity is where it happens, we are not in that place. I''d like more youth in there, but I understand why not quite yet.

4. NA has experimented. Not everything has worked, but we all threw brickbats at Hughton for being too rigid. Question is how much he has learnt from all those experiments.

5. The lack of experience we all know was a massive gamble. It is essentially a trade off between that and the undoubted fire, passion and knowledge of the club and its players which he has. I do think MP will help enormously with this, the Joe Royle thing could have worked, shame it didn''t, but I still feel it will be OK.

We follow football because it is so fascinating, unpredictable and exciting. We know there is no secret recipe (even bucket loads of cash can only increase your chances, not guarantee anything). Lose your players after relegation and you are in "disarray". Keep them and you are accused of getting stale if it doesn''t work out. What is the right answer? Who knows, but I think we aren''t very far off.

We are missing someone of Snodgrass'' or Holt''s belief. The more fundamental issue is, however, that the manager seems unable inter alia to instil belief into the players.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We are missing someone of Snodgrass'' or Holt''s belief. The more fundamental issue is, however, that the manager seems unable inter alia to instil belief into the players.[/quote]

Is tat a team from Serie B in Italy?