Sign in to follow this  
Canary & Linnet

Reality Check

OK so we''re on 3 points after 3 home games but,

• We''re one of 6 unbeaten teams in division
  • 4 points off top
  • v Coventry, Bywater (keeper) made several great saves, could easily have won 4-1
  • v Crewe, missed chance after chance, possibly 6-1
  • v Palace, more good chances created, a second goal would have killed game
  • All 3 goals conceded were through losing possession cheaply
  • Our goals well worked
  • Several new players ''bedding in''

Before I''m accused of looking through rose tinted glasses, my point is, with a bit of luck we could have been sitting 2 points clear today

I read Sheff Utd''s winner in mid week came from a goalkeeper''s punch which hit the back of a players head & rebounded into net

As long as chances are being created, we will eventually come good

There is huge expectation on the team to do well & I think the three consecutive home games may have worked against us as the tension within the ground against Palace could be felt.

Anyone noticed the possession stats so far, are we a counter attacking side now? Maybe playing away will suit our style 

There is a long way to go & we certainly have the quality to make it back up to the Premiership

Have faith, & to those in the River End that booed again on Saturday, shame on you

Well said C&L.  If you compare this season''s fortune with the promotion season where most things went our way, the results are not a fair reflection.

Have no doubt - we will go up.

Good post.

There are some positives to take from all this (I think!).

Yes we are unbeaten and we are making chances so hopefully things will improve.

The expectations are sky high at the moment and yes, you could feel the tension around the ground yesterday.

I have put on another post that there are school boy errors happening on the pitch at the moment and they need to be addressed. 

Fair enough, players are settling in to the team.  But how long can you give them to settle in?

Well said Canary & Linnet - of course we are bound to be frustrated and see fault in a few performances - we have hit the post a few times now too - you could add that to your list. I always felt last year we chopped the defence around and it never settled in properly  (Doherty, Charlton etc.) and we had one of the worst defences (still feel for Mackay - yes he also had faults but he led by example and scored useful goals and he was part of a team in the championship with the best defensive record)  - this year we have more or less  a new midfield and the season is ONE week old and we have the posters out saying RUBBISH and calling for Worthington''s head !! People need to keep a perspective. December/Christmas will be a good time to judge coolly. Roll on 3 points at Southampton which we deserved only a few months ago only to be denied.

steady on...