Sign in to follow this  
Julian

This IS worse than hughton

Adams should have gone 4 games ago. I think the problem is Delia and mwj. They have done wonders for the club over the years but now is the time for them to go as well. THIS IS WORSE THAN HUGHTON

Out of interest, Julian....a) where would you propose they go - b) who would replace them, and how - c) and how would the financials be managed to make it so?Saying "time for change" is easy, effecting change is difficult.

I would say it''s time for the club to be officially put up for sale and for the board to be actively seeking out new owners.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Out of interest, Julian....a) where would you propose they go - b) who would replace them, and how - c) and how would the financials be managed to make it so?Saying "time for change" is easy, effecting change is difficult.[/quote]I have suggestions in answer to these questions go for an ownership which takes parts from to the 50=1 in Germany and Barcelona in Spain. But rather that retype everything all over again you can just read through my posts on pages 3 and 4 of this thread. http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3191655/ShowPost.aspx

It is. We are in the championship. Twelfth position. Absolute rubbish. I never ever thought I would say this but I do not think a hughton team would concede so easily

Well yes it is worse than Hughton purely based on the level of football we are playing at. Hughton''s team was woeful but we were playing against some of the top teams/players in the world. This is a level below that and the same players still look unable to mount a serious challenge.

At the moment we r not even playing good Championship Football its alright coming out as a Manger and slamming the team and himself, then do something about it, but I think Adams has had his chance perhaps the board this weekend will scour Europe properly or hopefully have a solution already and act on it before we end up in League 1 like last time. Get a Manager in who is not in love with the club but is in love with Football and shake this team up and get them playing to the level they should be!!!

Worse than Hughton............I didn''t like the way we played under Hughton, but it was always on my mind that he had the experience and method to make things work, given time.  There were some good games and but for the lack of one or two goals, we were not far from being a successful side under him. That was probably what the board thought too.    It all got too bad in the end, but success last season was just one game away - and it was agonising the way Hughton and the players always just about kept their heads above water, until the WBA game. 

I said at the time Hughton was sacked that the board had lost their nerve.  I still think they gave in too easily at that time and should have ridden the storm through to the end of the season.  But no.  Instead, we had this release of frustration and a new sense of positivity - which led nowhere.  People just wanted rid of Hughton - regardless of who replaced him.  I also said that even if Hughton had stayed and we got relegated, that in spite of that, he would still have been a good bet to get us out of the Championship.    Now I know that was never going to happen, but the point is there - we need a manager with the experience and credentials and who understands the league - and we have gambled the future on a  sentiment.  

If it had worked,  we would all be saying what an inspired choice it was to get Adams, but it hasn''t worked - isn''t working.  Team selection and tactics are just pie in the sky.   Effectively a 424 yesterday, the defence jittery because of results - and no apparent attempt to help them.  Weak in attack, weak in defensive midfield and a nervous back five.

It IS worse than Hughton for me.  It is so sad to see our club struggling under a leadership that looks out of its depth.  Watching matches under Hughton was difficult - but there were good games and small successes in amongst the dross.   Now we look bereft of any confidence, know how and direction.  The one bright spot is Phelan - but will Adams have the knowledge and sense to pick the right teams/formation and take full advantage of his experience?   Not on the evidence of this season so far.

If the board do the same as they did with Hughton and keep Adams on, they run the risk of the same thing happening again. A season of frustration and failure.  But to finish on a positive note and a bit of deja vu to last season........we are only four points off a play off place and the minimum requirement for success this season.    That is the dilemna the board have - and it is the same dilemnna they had last season  -  to hope things improve but risk sitting back and watch things get worse - or getting someone new in and them doing no better.The difference though is that there has to be better and more experiemced people out there available than Adams.  The board at least have to recognise that...... 

Much worse than under Hughton I agree, and agree too with much of what LDC has written.

We have a great squad and he doesnt know how to use it, how to set the team up or how to motivate them....it is an absolute shambles!

The last two games, in front of full houses and against very beatable sides (not teams near the top or Premiership quality) were excellent opportunities to show what he has.......and he failed miserably......I personally need no more evidence and am very frustrated that nothing has happened yet!

I wouldnt say this is worse than Hughton, im yet to find myself in a coma during games this season

[quote user="lake district canary"]People just wanted rid of Hughton - regardless of who replaced him.  [/quote]Whilst that is undoubtedly true in one or two cases, Lakey, but to suggest , by the use of the cover-all ''people'' it is utter nonsense that it was a widely held view.Going back to the summer of 2013 there were plenty of folk who knew that Hughton was a busted flush, and there was a list of eminently suitable replacements suggested ; a list that changed over time  as and when candidates became available or otherwise. As I said on several occasions, this time last year there were countless people who would have given their right arm to manage Norwich City..a solvent PL club with excellent facilities. I maintain it''s still the case (albeit swap ''Champ'' for ''PL''), which makes it all the more perplexing as to why the board took the bizarre decision to appoint Adams, when anyone could see what was required was, as you say, a manager with a good track record and pedigree.Of  course the NN''s, Ricardo''s, Morty''s of this world will pitch in with the usual ''there''s no guarantees'' red-herring, but I remember them poo-pooing the idea of Russell Slade when he was one of the names mentioned. My answer to that is, who do you think is looking more positive at the moment...A Cardiff City fan , or a Norwich City fan ?

In answer to the question who would we replace the majority shareholders with I would imagine that the club would do what it would do if they were run over by a bus tomorrow. The club would go on and it''s future is not dependent on any particular board composition being in place.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"]People just wanted rid of Hughton - regardless of who replaced him.  [/quote]Going back to the summer of 2013 there were plenty of folk who knew that Hughton was a busted flush, and there was a list of eminently suitable replacements suggested ; a list that changed over time  as and when candidates became available or otherwise. [/quote]

There were also plenty of people who regarded 11th position as a success and that with the input of exciting new players we might be able to kick on.........     People keep telling me how bad we were but nearly every time I watched - and that includes at matches - I saw a team that competed well, if frustratingly lacking in goals.  There were some genuinely dire games too, but it was a mixed picture overall. 

Now I see a team that relies on outscoring the opposition - which is fine - as long as they do outscore......but they don''t and confidence is shot.   I was very worried at Blackpool in the first half.  Loads of possession, then the ball given away with barely a shot in the whole of the first half. I remember thinking that was as dire as anything under Hughton - and then we went behind.   Of course we did what we had the habit of then and scored our way out of trouble (somewhat fotunately) and we were all happy with the result.  But nearly every match this season has had that frailty in defence and it has not been sorted.   Yesterday was the icing on the cake as far as that goes - almost a 424, defensive frailties seemingly ignored, nervousness prevalent.....and more of the same. 

The balance is wrong - as it was under the previous manager - but at least the previous manager appeared to have a method, flawed though it was.  

I agree with your original post LDC. Your use of the word ''agonising'' was suitable; last season was just that. We didn''t score, but were generally hard to beat (as Van Persie said about us). I guess that''s how Houghton aimed to set up his teams -- discipline + defence (obviously though he didn''t seem to know how to instil confidence (which breeds confidence) or any kind of free-flowing, attack minded football). Anyway, yadda yadda, last season, last schmeason.

This season, I feel our current performances have been at the very best an efficient attack based game. However, not once have I felt like we won''t concede. Rather than ''agonising'', there is a certain inevitability of ''when and how many'' will the other team score. Rather than needing 1 goal to win a game, we usually need 2 or 3. I''m not going to berate players or management as that doesn''t help anyone. However, I would like to see our team better defensively set up. At some stage, this has to be addressed properly. I do hope Phelan can help make this happen, but it''s a big request, especially since ultimately it should be Adams'' job.

We will not get promotion with Adams in charge. Phelan is not a manager. We need an experienced manager. Someone who has managed before

It does make me laugh that people that were so keen for Hughton''s head and bemoaning the totally unentertaining football from ''clueless'' almost seem to be getting a nostalgic air towards the man. I said back then that managerial change was no magic bullet. Our club has a long history of flailing from manager to manager without a good result, save a handful of exceptions.

Now we have another manager who got off to a flying start that has stuttered, but had us top of the table only 10 games ago. His team has scored as many goals this season as we did in the whole of last season, but because we''ve had a lengthy dry run players and the team has an unfortunate tendency to panic when they''re on the back foot and make mistakes that result in goals, players like Redmond have ''no passion'', when he''s in tears at the end of the game, and players like John Ruddy who could have been off to Chelsea on crazy money, is now ''just in it for the money'' because he has had a very rare bad patch. Neil Adams for his part is now ''clueless'' and ''doesn''t'' know what he''s doing despite a lot of experimentation trying to find a good formula, which he deserves credit for when his predecessor doggedly stuck to the same approach for a long long time and was criticised as having ''no ideas'' as a result. Mike Phelan, with his massive reputation from working for Alex Ferguson with great success, arrived at the club three days ago, yet very first game comes along without a change of fortunes and the histrionics are once again hitting fever pitch, which will quite possibly result in a knee jerk reaction by the board after having been left with egg on their face from trying to stick it out last time.

I said it last time and I''ll say it again: Managerial change is no magic answer to anything. You only have to look throughout the game at the number of failed managerial changes relative to successes to see that and you''ll often see people looking at Liverpool and Brendan Rodgers and scratching their heads at why he''s favourite to be sacked after getting them back to the Champions League and his success at Swansea, Paul Lambert being regarded as ''f**king useless'' on Twitter by many Aston Villa fans.

These self-righteous ''fans'' feel they''re entitled to hurl this abuse at the players because of their ''passion'', but it''s not passion, it''s throwing their toys out of the pram because they think other teams shouldn''t be beating us, yet they''re all looking for points just like us.

There''s nothing that can be fixed at this club by bringing in the personnel officers. What''s needed is some resolve from the players to overcome their psychological hangups from relegation that cause them to panic and a bit more loyalty and resolution from fans instead of pathetic, destructive whining and abuse when it doesn''t go our way.