Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

The WORST ref ever!

In the spirit of the worst team ever thread, whats the worst ref you''ve seen involved in a city match?.

For me its easy, now forgive the spelling but he has a stupid name anyway, D''urso by a mile, during a home game some years ago, maybe against West Brom, I believe he sent 4 players off for an early bath, two from each side. Our players Eadie and Flecky who where sent off, could not believe it, and in the end during his 4th dismissal, both teams started laughing at him. I''ve never forgot that hilarious moment. There again, my memory ain''t that good, and I''m not great at recalling names so does anyone else remember this game. Or indeed can confirm my memory?.

Who''s your joke of a referee?.

the said game was versus huddersfield , and yes Mr durso had a homer if i rember we still managed to win.

Calling old timers on this one....it''s quite possible my memory is starting to play games with me but what registers is either a one handed referee ( might have been one armed but he was definitely a bandit ) who I believe had a last name of Bond back in the fifties. You know how things can stick with you from childhood ( sometimes in a distorted way ) and this man was in control on a number of occasions against Ipswich. I think this fellow was from Lowestoft and he robbed the Canaries blind.

Hi Yankee, I''m not sure if this helps, but the only league ref I remember from my home town around that time was a certain Mr Burtinshaw. As he also taught at my local school (Refs were part time then) I can confirm that he had two hands. But he was a bit of a plonker mind you!.

I''m not sure if we are talking about the same game 1st wiz but i remember a game 5/6 years ago when either D''Urso or Bennett (can''t rememeber which but they are equally as bad) was in charge and we had two sent off. Think it was either Bellamy or Eadie in the last minute. It really stuck in my mind that game because I reacall the ref being appalling!

If I could throw my suggestion in for the BEST ref (and linesman) for sheer entertainment value! We were playing ipswich at home (94/95) or around then and were 2-0 (i think with goals from Ward and Fleck). The binners then got a contriversial penalty about 10 minutes from the end which John "hang your boots up you''ve been playing for ipswich for far too long" Wark put away. Then with about two minutes to go the binners got another dodgy penalty, much to the delite of their supporters. Warky was just about to take his second penalty, when the Ref saw his lino (in front of the Ipswich fans!!) flagging madly. He promptly reversed his decision and gave an offside against the Ipswich forward! The Ipswich players, Burley and fans were furious! I can rememeber a lot of pointing, laughing and jeering at a certian group of gutted fans. We of course went on to win 2-1 and I went home VERY happy!!