Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

The Back 4

Thank god Bennett will be back soon. As Hooiveld gave the penalty away i''m not surprised he didn''t him. However we haven''t seen anything of Miquel despite all these changes and I don''t know why

Whittaker Martin Turner Olsson

Martin Cuellar Turner Olsson

Martin Turner Hooiveld Olsson

(back to) - Whittaker Martin Turner Olsson

Last 4 games haven''t featured the same back 4.

Unless i''m mistaken?

Miquel is left footed I think? He''s played at a decent level for Arsenal for a while and can obviously play a bit, to me a potentially great partnership would be Turner back on his favoured right side alongside Miquel who can fulfil Bassongs role this year.

Feel a little sorry for him, but Hooiveld did not lose any game up till now so i don''t understand why a lot on here are writing him off ...

As I just said on amother thread at the Beginning of the season I would have bought whole defensive replacements as let''s not forget we had the leakiest defence in the prem and some how expect them to concede less this season?! was never going to happen was it?!

Instead what we did was buy forwards and try play them on the wing anyway!

The defenders we did buy must be thinking what on earth is going on when a loane in Hooveild who is shocking gets ahead of them!

Against Reading the back for line-up had very poor balance!

Playing two right backs (Martin & Whittaker) is causing all kinds of problems; left-footed left side CB Bassong is shown the door, so yesterday Turner is put in there with the Scottish pair to his right. In that formation, they all shifted one place to the left next to Olsson who has also not been at his best but somehow retained his place. Bit like a musical chairs game at a kids party without the fun!

I''d have played a back four of Garrido | Miquel | Turner | Martin.

When we threw players forward in desperation to try and score an equalising goal, Garrido''s beautifully delivered diagonal swinging crosses would have been very useful for Jerome, Grabban & Lafferty - especially as Reading hardly pressured our left-back all game.

By the way, why buy Miquel - one of Spain''s best u-21''s and not use him?

The whole thing''s a mess at Norwich right now. Even the board might have noticed that!...

What worries me, is the back four of Whit, Martin, Turner & Ollson, including Ruddy, was more or less holding premiership teams much better last season.It''s embarrassing that Brighton, Forest & now Reading and finding goals so easy against this lot! Is it time to drop Ruddy. Seems a long way off his best?

[quote user="Samwam27"]What worries me, is the back four of Whit, Martin, Turner & Ollson, including Ruddy, was more or less holding premiership teams much better last season.

It''s embarrassing that Brighton, Forest & now Reading and finding goals so easy against this lot! Is it time to drop Ruddy. Seems a long way off his best?
[/quote]

Crucially though, Bassong is missing from that list of names.

As for Ruddy... I said a week or two ago that he doesn''t look like saving anything at the moment. But actually I still wouldn''t drop him.

The back 4:

RB: Put Whittaker up for sale, i''d rather have Adel Gafiati as cover right back. Russ Martin starts every game there

CB: Send Hooiveld back, invest in a decent physical centre back who a) can have a bit of pace, b) be a threat at corners and c) make sure we aren''t such a soft touch at defending corners. Cuellar should sit on the bench as Turners cover and Bennett should be straight back in the line up. Turner should be sweating for his place. Personally, i''d go Bennett and Miquel if everyone is available. Given up on Bassong coming back.

LB: Olsson needs dropping. He''s been poor recently. Dunno what''s up with him as he''s usually pretty dependable. Even in the win versus Bolton, it was his error that could have cost us. Garrido has been solid every time we''ve called upon him bar about 2 minutes into his game time versus Wolves when he probably hadn''t settled into the game.

RW: The one thing going well at the moment (even without the goals) is Redmond. He must be on an assist a game now for the last few weeks. He stays in the side there.

CM: I''d still go Howson and Tettey. Not decided if we should go 5 man midfield next game, i''m not confident in us scoring enough with 1 up front but away and under pressure, them two have a big job on their hands. Tettey has been one of our best players and Howson on the whole has looked good since he came back in, particularly vs Bolton.

LM: Struggling here. Murphy just looks like he needs to gain some composure. He''s got the talent to do well at this level but now needs to get on the same wavelength. His decision making will improve. Not sure what to do with Lafferty, plenty of running and work but he''s produced nothing. He was unlucky to hit the bar but i''m not convinced. Maybe Olsson? Surprised we haven''t at least tried it. If only Wes was back or we still had Pilks or Surman! A new natural left winger is needed in Jan.

Up front: Hooper has earned his place. He''s first choice at the moment and i''d play the inconsistent Jerome with him and hope its one of his good days. I actually think we have enough going forward. Our problems lie at the back.