Sign in to follow this  
Hackney Canary

Fans an absolute embarrassment today

Subject line says it all really. Thought the fans were a total disgrace today, not just for the excessive reaction at the end, but also for the ironic cheering of John Ruddy. Of course, I''m sure the pricks on here will come out with some nonsense about how they pay their money and are entitled to do what they please. Well, think again pricks. You pay your money to watch a football match, not to caterwaul like a set of homeless fox clubs. Ruddy will be off before you know it, Howson, too, And Murphy. Hooper probably. Once upon a time football, like life, was about sitting around and waiting for the good times to roll. Those days are gone, my friend.

yes,imagine that a set of fans who are disgruntled after winning 1 of the last 10 games?!

...would you have expected a standing ovation after that 2nd half performance today.

..oh and I wonder just how big the queue of takers maybe for Ruddy''s services after his form this season?....not quite as big as you may think?

What nonsense. When was football about waiting for good times? Or life, for that matter?

I agree satin Ruddy was cheap, but other than that your title should replace the word "fans" with "team".

I agree regarding the ironic cheering of JR....BUT, even though usually I am against booing, in this instance it was certainly warranted and it was done after the final whistle. What shocks me is how it seems that many fans do not see the situation the club is now in as being far worse than the CH situation.......far worse, so excessive, definitely not.

We fans have put up with a lot of terrible football for almost two years now. I never boo at the end of games or at players. Yesterday I did boo. Why? Well it''s reached a point where we are paying money to watch an inferior product. The manager is clearly out of his depth. Many of the players are not fighting for him and frankly some of the decisions yesterday were bizarre. Redmond was a danger coming in from the right so why move him to the left wing and watch him disappear from the game? Hooper linked up with Jerome better than Grabban ever has and was a goal threat. So what does he do he brings on Grabban to play with Jerome and players Hooper as an AM so Hooper disappears.

As a fan we have a right to make our feelings known both positive and negative. After giving a Manager, who I didn''t ever want in charge, every opportunity to prove himself I have come to the conclusion he does not have what it takes. It is time to make a change and give us a chance of supporting a team we can be proud of again because at the moment we look like a collection of individuals.

I find it absolutely incredible that thee are people who come on here in all seriousness to complain about the crowd booing , shouting ''what a load of rubbish'' and generally voicing their displeasure at the final whistle.I can certainly see why that sort of behaviour during the game might be counter productive (though would not be presumptive enough to lambast anyone who does), but what went on at the yesterday was more than justified. Frankly, I thought it was quite mild, given the circumstances of the horrendous events of the previous 90 mins.If you attend a theatre production where the actors fluff their lines and the scenery falls down, do you not boo ? If you go out for a meal and the food is rubbish, do you just pay up, smile and leave ?   If you buy a car that breaks down all the time, do you not voice your displeasure to the garage?It strikes me, that , yet again, there are a number of Pink Un posters who live in some sort of fantasy world.

Firstly, for the benefit of the ''Smart'' Alecs, I''ve been a season ticket holder since 1985 and I''d say I''ve missed ten home games in the last ten years, which, given that I live in Hackney, probably excludes me from the accusation of being a happy clapper and/or a binner.

Even so, I stand by what I said in the original post (although I accept I could have expressed it better, but then it was the early hours of the morning and I was a bit drunk after a long and disappointing day). Still, the relish with which so many fans joined in the ironic cheering of Ruddy WAS disgraceful, not to mention totally counterproductive. Yes, he could do with being dropped, but to abuse a man and player who has stood firm when plenty haven''t in the manner of yesterday was shameful.

The same applies to the booing, especially the booing at half time. We''ve got problems, no question, and Adams could do with being demoted sooner rather than later, but nonetheless, at half time yesterday we were patently the better side. In fact, leaving out the two ludicrously soft goals, our forward play in the first half was as good and sharp as it has been for a while - Hooper was excellent, as was Lafferty, as was Tettey.

By booing the team off, we, the fans, helped give the initiative to the opposition, making it all too easy for Nigel Adkins to say to his players at half time, ''Look, the natives are restless, if you get in their faces in the second half we can come away with a win''. Sure enough, they did get in our faces, and our players, nervous and tentative, as any players would be in the middle of a poor run of form, couldn''t handle it and couldn''t get any real purchase in the game in the second half. Yes, that was poor, but there is no question that there was a causal link between the fans'' reaction at half time and the way Reading performed in the second half. I''m not saying the players aren''t culpable, but we, the fans, certainly didn''t help.

And the booing at the end? Yes, plenty want to get rid of the manager (myself included), but remember that after the manager goes the players remain - as will memories of the moronic abuse. The way many fans are behaving is doing nothing but deepening the malaise.

(And Reggie Strayshun, the Theatre/Meal/Garage analogy is a load of old squit. My relationship with my football club is totally different to my relationship with a theatre/restaurant/garage. A restaurant is a service provider; a football club is way more than that, and the price I pay for watching comes (or should come) with an understanding that (a) there will be good days and bad days, (b) that fundamentally we''re all pulling in the same direction and (c) we''re stronger when we''re united than when we''re in opposition to each other.)

Yes we are stronger when everyone is united which raises the question as to why Smith and Hubby appointed yet another so called manager that they knew would tear the fan base apart .If Adams stays it will only get worse because no way on this planet is he going to turn it around , not even if you give him a whole dugout full of babysitters .

[quote user="Hackney Canary"]Subject line says it all really. Thought the fans were a total disgrace today, not just for the excessive reaction at the end, but also for the ironic cheering of John Ruddy. Of course, I''m sure the pricks on here will come out with some nonsense about how they pay their money and are entitled to do what they please. Well, think again pricks. You pay your money to watch a football match, not to caterwaul like a set of homeless fox clubs. Ruddy will be off before you know it, Howson, too, And Murphy. Hooper probably. Once upon a time football, like life, was about sitting around and waiting for the good times to roll. Those days are gone, my friend.[/quote]You are correct in saying that football is like life but its not about sitting back and waiting for good times to roll around.Sometimes things reach a tipping point and change is needed if only for change sake. We have been at this point many times in the past and will no doubt again in the future. Every manager has his day and its all about knowing when that day arrives.Sadly for Adams, that day was yesterday.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Hackney Canary"]Subject line says it all really. Thought the fans were a total disgrace today, not just for the excessive reaction at the end, but also for the ironic cheering of John Ruddy. Of course, I''m sure the pricks on here will come out with some nonsense about how they pay their money and are entitled to do what they please. Well, think again pricks. You pay your money to watch a football match, not to caterwaul like a set of homeless fox clubs. Ruddy will be off before you know it, Howson, too, And Murphy. Hooper probably. Once upon a time football, like life, was about sitting around and waiting for the good times to roll. Those days are gone, my friend.[/quote]You are correct in saying that football is like life but its not about sitting back and waiting for good times to roll around.Sometimes things reach a tipping point and change is needed if only for change sake. We have been at this point many times in the past and will no doubt again in the future. Every manager has his day and its all about knowing when that day arrives.Sadly for Adams, that day was yesterday.[/quote]

Oh, I agree. I think the change will come - it has to - but I worry about the collateral damage in terms of the relationship between the players and the fans. The fall out from the acrimonious end of Nigel Worthington lasted long (you might even say years) after his departure.

Sadly, its cumulative. Its another disappointment on top of a disappointment.  If Adams had been miraculously able to pull it off and show he had it within him to do well, then everything would have been fine, Hughton would have been forgotten and we look forwards.   But it hasn''t worked.   Even though we''re only four points off the play offs, the effect of seeing us do so badly after the difficult two years with Hughton, has just made it worse.  

The obvious thing would be for Adams to say, ok, I''ve given it a go, the management structure is strong so I can step down with some dignity knowing we have Holt and Phelan who could take on the mantle.   If he wants to stay and tough it out and the board is prepared to back him, then its going to be a roller coaster of a ride for the rest of this season.     Who knows?  He may turn it round, but its going to be a testing time for everyone.

[quote user="Hackney Canary"] Oh, I agree. I think the change will come - it has to - but I worry about the collateral damage in terms of the relationship between the players and the fans. The fall out from the acrimonious end of Nigel Worthington lasted long (you might even say years) after his departure.[/quote]Sadly that is a fact of life, these things don''t happen without a lot of collateral damage. It''s pointless to blame the fans, there comes a time when they''ve had enough and patience wears thin. This takes us right back to the old argument about attacking entertaining football versus results. When all is said and done its results that determine a managers fate. It always has and it always will.

Well, I''m certainly an exile, more than a few might see me as a happy clapper I suppose, I''m certainly of the opinion that Neil Adams was not being given a fair chance many games ago and won''t ever change that opinion regardless of what happens from here on in. There is an input from Hackney that struck me too. I was absolutely disappointed with the booing that took place at half-time yesterday. Yes, we had just conceded a second goal because of a goalkeeping error but, that aside, Norwich played some decent football in the first half.

Before watching the game on a stream I had watched Charlton against Ipswich on TV. It was a pretty mediocre match mostly played in the middle of the pitch and neither team really looked like scoring. Then right near the end of the game Noel Hunt, a recent Ipswich acquisition who had not scored in something like 20 games previously, gets a bloody nose, changes his shirt, runs back on to the pitch and grabs a winner from a cross that was fortunately deflected in his direction. The third time I''ve watched Ipswich this season and, while they have been competitive, they have not struck me as a club that fits in an automatic promotion spot. That''s not biased....just the truth as I see it. It was kind of a blah match.

I then watched Norwich play in the first half and, truthfully, it was enjoyable to watch compared to what I had just seen of the aforementioned game. So when the booing happened at half-time I was not overly surprised because a lot of people in today''s world seem to too readily boo when they don''t get what they want. However, I was still disappointed at the reaction at that point with a half left to play. Well done, Hackney, for speaking up. 

[quote user="Hackney Canary"] The fall out from the acrimonious end of Nigel Worthington lasted long (you might even say years) after his departure.[/quote]

It is still going on to this day if you read the posts of a certain poster. [:P]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Well, I''m certainly an exile, more than a few might see me as a happy clapper I suppose, I''m certainly of the opinion that Neil Adams was not being given a fair chance many games ago and won''t ever change that opinion regardless of what happens from here on in. There is an input from Hackney that struck me too. I was absolutely disappointed with the booing that took place at half-time yesterday. Yes, we had just conceded a second goal because of a goalkeeping error but, that aside, Norwich played some decent football in the first half.

Before watching the game on a stream I had watched Charlton against Ipswich on TV. It was a pretty mediocre match mostly played in the middle of the pitch and neither team really looked like scoring. Then right near the end of the game Noel Hunt, a recent Ipswich acquisition who had not scored in something like 20 games previously, gets a bloody nose, changes his shirt, runs back on to the pitch and grabs a winner from a cross that was fortunately deflected in his direction. The third time I''ve watched Ipswich this season and, while they have been competitive, they have not struck me as a club that fits in an automatic promotion spot. That''s not biased....just the truth as I see it. It was kind of a blah match.

I then watched Norwich play in the first half and, truthfully, it was enjoyable to watch compared to what I had just seen of the aforementioned game. So when the booing happened at half-time I was not overly surprised because a lot of people in today''s world seem to too readily boo when they don''t get what they want. However, I was still disappointed at the reaction at that point with a half left to play. Well done, Hackney, for speaking up. 

[/quote]The truth, Yankee is that people have had enough. We need numerous shots on goal to score yet concede sloppy goals from oppositions that rarely get into our half of the field. Its got to the stage where you know when you are going to lose a goal. The corner before halftime yesterday was a perfect example. I think everyone knew it was coming, yet Reading had barely been in the game.You can stand that sort of things a couple of times a season but this has gone on and on for ten games now and whatever Neil Adams does, he can''t seem to change it. I don''t know how others feel but I''m heartily sick of hearing how easy on the eye we are whilst we slide down the league.Give me a result, sod the flowing football, I can live with that if only we get the points.

Well like we heard on Tuesday, the board were inundated by fans claiming we need to play the Norwich way. So this became the ethos for this season. Rickyyyyy, we both knew its only winning football that''s acceptable. So I am now feeling too much change was not a good plan.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Well like we heard on Tuesday, the board were inundated by fans claiming we need to play the Norwich way. So this became the ethos for this season. Rickyyyyy, we both knew its only winning football that''s acceptable. So I am now feeling too much change was not a good plan.[/quote]We all want both Nigel, but sometimes that isn''t possible.I always remember when Ron Saunders was questioned about the entertainment factor. He said something to the effect that it was results that counted, entertainment was secondary.I can stand a little disappointment and we have had more than our fair share over the years  but I go to see us win and I don''t particularly care about how its done as long as it is done. Entertainment is nice but there are no points for it and in that case its neither here nor there.

I agree that in addition to the ironic cheering of JR the booing at half time was probably unfair, BUT I take on board the fact that it wasnt just a one off and the I understand it......I too right now simply want our team to win matches, also not play poncy football at a snail''s pace, I want them to get stuck in, have a game plan, rattle the other sides with an in your face attitude...and then the wins will come and the class will also start to show. Also, I want all connected with our great club to STOP using TWITTER.....

What is infuriating is that the players bore the brunt of it and there has been friction created between fans and the squad when the root of the problems and the target should have been the board and Adams. If he is allowed to remain in place things will just get worse. Our fans however seem to think its wrong to abuse Adams because he''s a "Norwich legend" despite the fact he was no more than a half decent player in a team in decline.

all of this friction flows from the frustration with the board over Hughton and Adams.

Remember. Never ever criticise the fans because as the customer they can never be wrong even if they are wrong.

Supposedly buying a ticket doesn''t give fans the right to boo, but if that is the case, then nor does it give us the right to cheer, chant, sing, or make fun of the opposition.

What a stupid concept, no right to boo.

A small minority had a pop at Ruddy which was totally uncalled for given his consistent performances and loyalty over the past seasons. The booing at the end was mild to what it could have been, it is the built up frustration of 2 seasons worth of mistakes and continual failure

While totally agreeing with Ricardo on the " winning first " statement , and that entertainment is secondary , as most of us feel happier walking away from Carrow Road after a win ,, we are getting neither ,,, in fact we are getting practically no entertainment ,,,, and no winning either ,,, dark days right now .

Personally I thought the support (well, the Barclay/Snakepit) stuck well with the team after half time and got behind the team to a far greater extent than they deserved.

Admittedly half way through the 2nd half it fizzled out, but that was long after the fayre on the pitch had done the same!

I''m afraid the reaction after the game was totally justified in my opinion and I''d commend the fans for waiting until then to let their frustrations be known!

Well, Hackney, after 30 hrs since you posted this opinion (which I''m the first to admit you are perfectly entitled) it seems that you are in a pretty small minority on it.And as for your less than helpful comment on my original analogy...well I stand by it. In the final analysis, though of course a fan''s relationship with his club is special, we are all customers, as we are at a theatre, restaurant and garage. And, as customers we judge our reactions on our perception of value for money.So, do you feel we are currently getting value for money from Norwich City FC. ?As many others have said, the whole concept of not being allowed to boo is just barmy.