Sign in to follow this  
Lewis Esquire

Bassong - Short Memories

I have read a few posts on here and the edp comments section and what surprises me most is how some fans have such short-term memories.

Bassong is NOT the answer!

RVW is NOT the answer!

These players aren''t going to miraclulously start ''performing'' for NCFC, they didn''t give a damn last year and they wont give a damn this year.

NCFC weren''t good enough last year to stay in the Premier League and the same players still can''t play together in this league. There are too many over-rated, underperforming players that certain NCFC fans think are THE ANSWER but if you take the canary specs off you''ll realise a lot of our players are average at best...

Howson and Olssen for me need dropping. It''s no coincedence our fall down the league coincides with Howsons injury return, and he NEVER turns up in the second half of matches.

As for Olssen - when did he turn in to Garrido? No attacking play? When he gets the ball he stops or passes sideways? ANYONE COULD DO THAT! You''re suppose to be an attacking full-back! Massively over-rated. I don''t think it''s coincedence that Olseen has been ever-present in our relegation and awful defending.

I would play Garrido or Toffolo, who seems to be playing with drive and passion - something Olssen lacks!

Not a happy NCFC fan!

Is it Adams fault? IMO - Not entirely...

More examples of absent players becoming world class in people''s minds.

The squad is good (though I agree Bassong could add to it), it''s the management that''s the problem.

Olsson, Garrido, Turner, Martin, Bennett and Whittaker are all players that featured in the Premier League, we kept 12 clean sheets last season and 10 in the one prior to that, these are the same players that ground out results against Man Utd and Arsenal.

Bassong jumped straight into the Watford first team and performed well, this is a common theme for several players that Adams has let go. We have good players that are currently under performing due to bad coaching and management.

Are our current failings Adam''s fault? Not entirely, but he can shoulder a fair amount of the blame certainly.This squad is capable of much more than this and all it needs now is the right person in charge. I hope Phelan will be the first step in sorting this mess out.

Bassong is better than Cuellar, Hooiveld, Martin (at CB) and probably Miquel too. Our mistake has been replacing him poorly.

If we sacked Adams and the new manager came in. I''d want to see Bassong given another chance. He got a ridiculous amount of abuse after he gave that penalty away versus Stoke and dropped as a result. I thought it was a complete overreaction at the time and still do.

Appointing Phelan as manager is as daft as appointing Adams - so what if he assisted Sir Alex. He''s never managed a team himself either and he appears to have had no impact at Carrow Road either...

Bassong is a one-season wonder - it isn''t just playing for us, look at Spurs and Newcastle - they were glad to see the back of him too. He''s slow, sluggish and his attitude stinks.

Actually Newcastle were gutted to see him go. As for Spurs, he got them into the CHampions League and it was only players like Vertonghen keeping him out of the side. When we are conceeding sloppy goals to people like Jake Cooper by giving him such an easy chance, we can''t afford to be as picky.

[quote user="Lewis Esquire"]...he appears to have had no impact at Carrow Road either...[/quote]

Jeez... Phelan only arrived last Thursday, I doubt he even knows his way round the training ground yet ffs, give the bloke a chance!

People kidding themselves holdin him up as a messiah to suit there agendas

Same people that called hooper fat and useless and now see him as the savior.

Pathetic

Bassong did look a little ropey at times last season but he still played in the vast majority of our clean sheets.

His technique and ability was a perfect foil to Turner''s bravery, strength and no holds barred defending.

Bassong''s attitude and concentration has always been a bit dubious, probably why he find himself playing for us and not Spurs or Newcastle.

Foggy, last seasons clean sheets and who played in them is totally irirrelevant to what would happen this season. As I''ve said elsewhere those clean sheets were achieved in Hughton''s negative teams set up not to lose. Adams managed to get one at Chelsea without Bassong by setting up in a similar fashion. But then McNally was inundated by fans pleading to play the Norwich way and set up to win games. So that''s Adams mandate this season and there''s absolutely nothing to suggest clean sheets would return by playing Bassong in such h a set up.

nutty nigel: But then McNally was inundated by fans pleading to play the Norwich way and set up to win games. So that''s Adams mandate this season and there''s absolutely nothing to suggest clean sheets would return by playing Bassong in such h a set up.

1) I was merely attempting to show Bassong is a superior player to what we currently have

2) If McNally listens to fans moaning about the style he is a fool. As I have said before, fans do not complain about the style when we are winning games. From my own personal view, Hughton''s ultra-negative style was affecting results.

But Adams is shrewd enough to get a clean sheet at Chelsea and yet too inexperienced to stop Brighton scoring 3 times at carrow road. Go figure....

Bassong and Turner, both at their best, is an above average Premier League CB pairing in my opinion.

But unfortunately we''re not going to stop conceding when there seems to be this massive gap in between our central midfielders and the back 4...

nutty nigel -- But Adams is shrewd enough to get a clean sheet at Chelsea and yet too inexperienced to stop Brighton scoring 3 times at carrow road. Go figure....

Who would judge a manager on single results? Adams also had the benefit of Hughton''s organisation in the side when he first took over.

The Chelsea result should not be taken as any kind of positive, we had to win and yet played without a striker for the last 20 minutes...

Bassong is undoubtedly a classy player, but he makes far too many mistakes for a centre back (mainly because his ability engenders over-confidence). The closer you get to the goal line the more concentration & correct decision making matters. Forwards are expected to gamble & therefore occasionally make mistakes, midfielders must not do this in defence (& there should always be someone covering for them if they''re attacking - something we don''t often do).

This of course means the goalie has got the least leeway of anyone to make errors. And unfortunately that''s a whole other problem we presently possess.

[quote user="GJP"]Lewis, your Newcastle mate was glad to see their POTS leave?

Hmm.[/quote]lee croft was our POTS....say no more

I don''t really get where people are coming from when they point out Bassong has got some mistakes in him - we''re NCFC, we''re never going to have perfect players.

The big thing that people just keep missing is that the best of Bassong outweighs the bad.

If Bassong is as good as a lot of people try & have us believe why have Watford hit a very poor run of form since he moved there.They were top of the table after his first game on October 18th with 24 points but now they''re down to 7th having won only 5 points since.In the games he has played, their record is as follows - Sheff Weds (SB played 90 mins) - wonForest (SB played 84 mins) - drewBoro (SB played 90 mins) - drewMillwall (SB played 32 mins) - won, although they were losing when he went offScum (SB played 90 mins) - lostDerby (SB played 90 mins) - lostCardiff (SB played 90 mins) - lostSo that''s more or less 5 full games which have delivered 1 win, 2 draws and 3 defeats, plus half an hour of the game they were losing before he went off.Hardly conclusive stuff and there''s absolutely nothing there that convinces me that he is or was the answer.

[quote user="Making Plans"]If Bassong is as good as a lot of people try & have us believe why have Watford hit a very poor run of form since he moved there.[/quote]I wrote at the time that there may have been an ulterior motive...:-)

Harry Redknapp quote today in the Telegraph about troublesome players:

"What is critical, Redknapp stressed, is to eliminate problem personalities – or what he calls the “s----” – from the dressing room. “It’s not just the 11 who play,” Redknapp said.

“If you have half a dozen s---- around you’ve no chance. You can’t win. They’ll contaminate the rest of them and bring the whole club down. They’ll be negative everywhere, getting in to good lads and bringing them down to their level.

“If you walk in and see one or two s---- then you’re watching them, watching who they talk to and what they are doing. They suck as much energy out of you as anything.”

Well bassong has gone and its clear that there is not much team spirit at the moment - who are the other s__ts than need moving on?

--- Rock The Boat: “If you have half a dozen s---- around you’ve no chance. You can’t win. They’ll contaminate the rest of them and bring the whole club down. They’ll be negative everywhere, getting in to good lads and bringing them down to their level."

For all his talent, Bassong certainly would be one of this bunch. More concerning for me than Bassong, is the other three central defenders we signed in the summer. They have hardly featured - in fact strikers aside, none of the new signings have been given a real chance. A crazy situation given we are on a terrible run.