Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

I'm Backing Adams to Stay

I''ve backed him all along, probably out of sentiment, but I feared it would end in tears. That said, he took on the challenge knowing the risks.

The arrival of Phelan has had a big effect on my decision. I have no idea what improvement, if any, he will bring but sacking Adams now will see Phelan either given temporary rein or else dismissed by a new manager who as ever will want his own assistants. It seems, yet again, the Board have painted themselves into a corner.

So, Phelan has to have time and that means Adams has to have more time too.

But more than this I have no confidence the Board can go out and find a competent replacement. Their recruiting policy is historically abysmal with the exception of Lambert who they went for and got. How they formulated that decision I would love to know, but it seems McNally drove that through.

Whatever happened to McNally; the man appointed to save our majority shareholders from themselves? He seemed the ideal balance to our sentimental board but has slowly subsided.

So, for me it''s Adams to stay and I hope we at least stay up this season. If we do the prima donnas can leave - hopefully for decent money - and we can buy the necessary Championship players to have a proper go next year.

It has to be a truism that you need different players for the EPL and the Championship and one set is generally incompatible with the demands of the other league. As some people have said, the key might be our midfield which has remained largely the same and needs replacement.

Adams can do himself a favour by being more ruthless with certain players. If he drops Ruddy he will send out a big message to the rest. In fact, he should be telling John Ruddy he is willing to listen to offers for him.

Me too. He should at least get the Wigan and Huddersfield games to let the phelan factor have some kind of effect. And even if that fails, then theres still plenty of time for a new manager to turn it around.

The whole Phelan thing is an almighty mess not least because I personally do not believe he is Adams appointment and I very strongly suspect he fancies the top job himself.

Due to the lack of action from the board it is pretty obvious he is here for another week or so, so i have no choice but to back him.

It is a dogs b*ll*x of  a situation.   A mess.   The Phelan factor only complicates it as far as I can see.  Adams has little credibility or experience as manager - with just some youth coaching experience.   Phelan has every bit of experience possible at the highest level. So as coaches - which is basically what they both are -  there is only one man that should be in charge.   Ridiculous.  

The situation will only get more complicated as it goes on.  If we do well, then it will be said that it is Phelan''s doing and Adams will still lack credibility,  if we do badly still, it would show that Phelan is not having an effect, so would he lose his credibility too.     Either way Adams doesn''t have a leg to stand on and because of that, he ought to be demoted now, because indecisiveness now will lead to worse problems later on.  

BUT........if Adams is still manager on Saturday then we have to get behind him.  A good away win at Wigan would be a good kick start to Phelan''s reign......I mean coaching......I mean......oh you know what I mean......[:S]

Actually Jim, I hope Phelan does fancy the job. He most certainly wouldn''t be my choice but having read Paul Scholes high praise perhaps he could be the answer.

The situation we are in now is laughable and as Rudolph questions, what''s happened to the McNally persona. I think some of us have a damn good idea.

The accusation that McNally just got lucky with his Lambert appointment is not true. McNally new him from Celtic connections and I remember when asked what will happen now that Gunn has gone. He replied to the effect - I don''t believe in lists of possible candidates, I know who I want and I will get him.

Oh for the old McNally eh?

Rudolph where do you get the ridiculous idea that following a dismal season we shall get decent money for the misfiring players, they may want to move who will buy? Olsson wanted to go to West Ham at probably £2-3m what does he look worth now?

Obviously Redmond will go for a packet in Jan but don''t expect decent funds for anyone else, Ruddy will not get a move in an upward direction.

What happened to the old McNally?

McNally wanted Lennon as manager last season.

[quote user="JF"]What happened to the old McNally?

McNally wanted Lennon as manager last season.[/quote]

I think your original question is very pertinent JF. I''m not sure if he lost some standing because Hughton was his recommendation but the events of the last 12 months do not fit with the 3-4 years that went before. Something has changed in the boardroom dynamic and it would be fascinating to know what it is.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 01/12/2014 7:23 PM:

Put some meat on those bones JF...

I knew Lennon was the number one target last season NN long before it was printed in the press.

lennon wanted to come here but he wasn''t even given a interview ! garry parker NL no2 told eadie and eadie said that on radio Norfolk he spoke to GP and he told him lennon was really keen then Norwich appointed NA the day lennon left celtic !

[quote user="JF"]nutty nigel wrote the following post at 01/12/2014 7:23 PM:

I knew Lennon was the number one target last season NN long before it was printed in the press.[/quote]

Well I didn''t know it and didn''t even see it printed in the press. Are you saying that McNally reccommended Lennon but was over ruled?

You must have had blinkers on then NN. It was all over the press and Lennon was asked about the position directly in a after match interview at Celtic.

I wanted Lennon and really thought it would be him. He was at a couple of our matches and I also recall him having a wry grin on his face when someone (I think it was Lineker) mention us while interviewing him.Reading between the lines it seemed that he was nailed on at one stage and then something happened.Back on topic, I think Adams has now survived the weekend and will now be in charge at the DW. Phelans arrival has saved him IMO.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I knew Lennon was the number one target last season NN long before it was printed in the press.[/quote]

Well I didn''t know it and didn''t even see it printed in the press. Are you saying that McNally reccommended Lennon but was over ruled?

[/quote]I never saw anything authoritative at the time - either in the English press or perhaps more to the point the Scottish - that said Lennon was a target of ours, let alone the number one choice. There was a great deal of vague speculation, but it all seemed a case of two being added to two. He had left Celtic and we were looking for a manager. Mick Dennis said Lennon was never a serious contender as far as we were concerned, and Dennis does know his stuff as far as the inner workings at Carrow Road are concerned. Nor, from memory, did Charlie Wyett, who also has his sources, ever say Lennon was in the frame.

It was widely reported last season that Lennon was our target, and as Ricardo says was asked on match of the day last season after the highlights of one of our matches and was also asked about the role after a Celtic match last season. He wasnt in contention for the position this summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2541547/Neil-Lennon-line-Norwich-boss-Chris-Hughton-leave.html

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/celtic_boss_neil_lennon_remains_coy_about_his_chances_of_taking_over_at_norwich_city_1_3527919

Thats so funny!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oPa_bgk2Z64

Those links are just gossip and rumour JF. If you believe them all you''d never join the dots. But you said you knew. You couldn''t have known from these.