Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Wal

Isn't it time they were told to hiss off?

Another two nights of Premiership football and, what do you know, Chelsea won easily, Manchester City won easily, Arsenal won, Liverpool won and Manchester United won. The mini-league contenders.

Before the first ball was kicked this season it was known that the winner would come from this group, in fact it was probably going to be a two horse race all along.

The one advantage of the Championship is that it is a competitive league. Unfancied teams like Brentford, Bournemouth, and dare I say it, Ipswich, find themselves in the top four. Whereas the Premiership is as good as over for most teams, at least the Championship will still have many twists and turns until the end of the season.

And what of the clubs that gain promotion? Quite simply they will have little or no chance of excelling in the higher league and will struggle to survive.

The multi-millionaires have all but ruined English football. The top teams have but a handful of English players, have huge squads of exceptionally well paid and talented players, numerous other players they loan out denying them to lower competitors, a monopoly of all the best young talent and, more especially, money. Financial fair play will have a small effect but with non-football deals always possible, will not be the saviour that some hope.

But every country seems to be in the same boat. Only a few clubs in each of the top leagues will be realistic winners.

Isn''t it time these clubs competed in a European league, so that they had meaningful matches each week instead of the many walkovers we see, and so that the remaining clubs could compete in a competition as competitive as the Championship?

Some would miss the matches against Man Utd/Arsenal etc ...I wouldn''t.

I pay to watch us play and (hopefully) win, I couldn''t care less who the opposition is most of the time, I''m not arsed about other clubs, I just love supporting us and spuring us on to be the best we can. With the likes of City/Chelsea in the league basically cheating and having such a massive advantage over us you''re right it makes it boring and pointless. The sooner the big 6 or so pi55 off and the billionaires lose interest in English football the better.

Armchair Man Utd supporters could watch their team take on the very best every week, the English league would be re vitalised and us, alongside many, many other mid-size clubs would finally once again at least have a shot of winning the league and actually achieving something.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Another two nights of Premiership football and, what do you know, Chelsea won easily, Manchester City won easily, Arsenal won, Liverpool won and Manchester United won. The mini-league contenders.

Before the first ball was kicked this season it was known that the winner would come from this group, in fact it was probably going to be a two horse race all along.

The one advantage of the Championship is that it is a competitive league. Unfancied teams like Brentford, Bournemouth, and dare I say it, Ipswich, find themselves in the top four. Whereas the Premiership is as good as over for most teams, at least the Championship will still have many twists and turns until the end of the season.

And what of the clubs that gain promotion? Quite simply they will have little or no chance of excelling in the higher league and will struggle to survive.

The multi-millionaires have all but ruined English football. The top teams have but a handful of English players, have huge squads of exceptionally well paid and talented players, numerous other players they loan out denying them to lower competitors, a monopoly of all the best young talent and, more especially, money. Financial fair play will have a small effect but with non-football deals always possible, will not be the saviour that some hope.

But every country seems to be in the same boat. Only a few clubs in each of the top leagues will be realistic winners.

Isn''t it time these clubs competed in a European league, so that they had meaningful matches each week instead of the many walkovers we see, and so that the remaining clubs could compete in a competition as competitive as the Championship?[/quote]I have often dreamed of this day. The day when the "big" clubs of European football band together and form a "super"league. Sadly I can not see this day ever happening and why would they want it to? The success of these household names from various national leagues has been built on, well success. They have an oligopoly on their domestic leagues. Barca, Real and occasionally Atletico in Spain, A.C., Inter and Juve in Italy, PSG and Lyon in France, Celtic and possibly again one day Rangers in Scotland, Benfica, Sporting and Oporto in Portugal and of course Liverpool, Manchesters United and City, Chelsea and Arsenal in England. These teams are all but guaranteed between 8 and 16 matches every season in Europe wide competition. So why would they want to form one league, where only one of them can be crowned champion instead of 6 of them being able to lay claim to ta national title, plus the chance of winning European silverware to boot?Basically forming a superleague would reduce the chances of any of these clubs being considered successful by their fans. Can you imagine Celtic fans being happy that their club ditched the opportunity of winning championship after championship in Scotland for a head to head challenge with Sporting to see who can avoid the wooden spoon in a European superleague every year? Sadly it just does not make sense. I think it is more likely that Celtic will join the premier league at some point, to further reduce the chance of English teams playing in that competition.