Sign in to follow this  
Holtcantshoot

Gary Hooper - cause for optimism

It''s been depressing watching Norwich recently but I thought last weekend Hooper looked like he was getting back to the form he showed in Autumn last year. His first touch and reading of the game looked a class above and he showed good instinct for the goal. I think he might be the man to turn around our season. Personally I''m predicting a close run win tomorrow with Hooper grabbing the winner to push us back into contention for the top 6.And now having read through that again I''m going to take my pills and lay down in a darkened room.

Its always the time to hit form when the January window looms large , remember Ashton finding his shooting boots around this time of the season too . Hooper will more likely than not be off in a few weeks time as we are all but certain to be playing at this level again next season .

If e sell Hooper we have major problems. It would show that Adams has no idea, cant see that hes the best finisher. it would show lack of ambition by the board. I cant see it happening. would rather sack adams and get a manager that can deal with our best players

grabban and jerome have both had periods of playing well (indeed much better than Hoops so far) so while his current 2 goals is nice; it doesnt change two fundamental problems

firstly he cannot play as a lone striker (no goals scored without a partner since joining the club, and anonymous when he does it)

our results are better with a lone striker. Time we learnt.

If you played a single striker then I would argue Jerome''s touch, aerial ability and skill at holding the ball up is considerably better than Hooper''s.

Happy to simply disagree BS48/893rd

IMO Hooper is a good striker but only when he has a partner., and he played well for part of the game last week,

As a lone striker he becomes the weak point of the team and becomes another player we fail to get the most from. Both Jerome and especially Grabban when confident are far better lone striker players.

Sadly our squad is far more successful with a single striker. Although he would start for me if we went 3412 which i think is a viable option

Unlikely to go in Jan for the money we want for GH. If QPR go for new striker in Jan Defoe better value and better striker than Hooper.

[quote user="Philboyd Studge"]If you played a single striker then I would argue Jerome''s touch, aerial ability and skill at holding the ball up is considerably better than Hooper''s.

[/quote]I think our earlier style of a 4-5-1 with Lafferty as a sort of target man / winger worked very well. It may be possible to play that with Hooper instead of Grabban as the lone striker. (it may not obviously, this is just a thought).

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="Philboyd Studge"]If you played a single striker then I would argue Jerome''s touch, aerial ability and skill at holding the ball up is considerably better than Hooper''s.

[/quote]I think our earlier style of a 4-5-1 with Lafferty as a sort of target man / winger worked very well. It may be possible to play that with Hooper instead of Grabban as the lone striker. (it may not obviously, this is just a thought).[/quote]
If I remember correctly, there were quite a few times during Hoopers spell at Celtic where he played as a lone striker but with Samaras playing on the left wing in his limited target man role. What it meant was that all goal-kicks and long-balls were played out to the left (where Samaras could knock the ball down for Hooper) and that the left-winger contributed little more than standing at the far post in almost every other attacking situation.