Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Beating Wigan could relegate us....

all very tongue in cheek...however the last few matches have reminded me somewhat of the situation we found ourselves in last season..."must win game" and Hughton pulled it out of the hat, 6 or 7 games later we were back in the same situation again.. the board were not ruthless and Dithered and Dallied....Huddersfield is an important game. if we can play well and win then the confidence in Adams will start to come back.. however we lose and we start to go round in all to familiar circle...

This could have been a more appropriate thread last week against Reading.  Except we lost that one.  I''m slightly amazed Adams has survived the last two poor results/performances and today was a bonus really as a draw under the circumstances would have been an acceptable result (imo) although we obviously need the wins.  However, Adams looks safe and as long as we improve,  he will be safe to the end of the season.  It would be a remarkable achievement to stay as manager despite a dire run of games and then go on to get promotion - but that is obviously the plan, so good luck to him.  Will beating Wigan relegate us - or more to the point will it stop us from getting promotion - because it keeps Adams in the job?   No, probably not.  As long as Phelan and the team get their act together and help Adams along the way, it could still be a very good season......"could" being the operative word.

the fact that we''ve been so poor over the last 2/3 months months and this was only our 2nd win in 11 and still only leaves us 2 points outside the playoffs shows what an ordinary league this is. Even if we only improve from being "poor" to "average" over the Christmas/New year period should see us get into the top 6.

It depends on what the board''s aims are?, if being around contention for a playoff place is their revised target for the season, then I suspect Adams is here to stay.

Still 26 games to play, nobody is running away with it and a decent run will put us back in the picture.

There should be no revised targets from the board, automatic promotion was the target and in such a poor league where a very average but well drilled Ipswich side are 2nd, we should still be able to achieve that from this position. If they are sticking with Adams then he needs to be backed as far as the club can stretch in January, unlike last Januarys shambles where we practically relegated ourselves. The right man in charge from this position would have a good chance of getting this squad up, weather Adams is the right man is debatable.

[quote user="JF"]There should be no revised targets from the board, automatic promotion was the target and in such a poor league where a very average but well drilled Ipswich side are 2nd, we should still be able to achieve that from this position. If they are sticking with Adams then he needs to be backed as far as the club can stretch in January, unlike last Januarys shambles where we practically relegated ourselves. The right man in charge from this position would have a good chance of getting this squad up, weather Adams is the right man is debatable.[/quote]

if the aim is still the top 2 , then no, Adams is absolutely not the right man....due to the dropped points over the last 2 months, it leaves us with a margin for error from here on in that Adams'' inexperience will inevitably fall foul of.

top 6 ,and I think ,even Adams could/should achieve , but that will be down to our players pulling themselves together and qualities coming through rather than Adams''.

Absolutely correct JF.

Strangely the results went for us considering the position we were in. I thought Phelan''s influence reflected the shape of the team and that generally we kept that shape. The performance was not that great but we must get three points next week. I will be saluting Holty prior to the game but hoping we do a job on Hudders. Just think another three points next week and even I may have a smile dancing around my lips but reminding myself of JF''s observations!!

BTW Why was Hooper subbed and Im beginning to worry about Murphy it looked as if he''s lost some pace.

Personally, if we lose I think he has to go, it''s as simple as that. Like Jenkins said, today we saw a change of style and we wisened up, albeit to an extremely poor Wigan team. Hopefully this forum will be quiet next game as well as all the trolls get early nights.

It was a win but nothing to get excited about. The same old faults were on display but we managed to scrape home. Second half was all long balls and showed that we''re just an average team.

We needed the win and achieved it relatively comfortably although its still very painful to see this group of players forced to play like that. Must not now default to that line up because it worked once. We should give teams more to worry about and we have the quality to play much better. Interesting team selection next week.

Hopefully, Phelan will stabilise the team such than we can avoid relegation. I saw nothing yesterday to indicate that we would finish any higher than mid table.

Wigan were terrible. Indeed, it felt like watching a Sunday morning game at Eaton park.

We didn''t play out from the back but Ruddy adopted a McCarthyesc boot up field at every oppotunity. The advantage of this was that we didn''t give the ball away in our half so often. If we play as badly against Rotherham we will undoubtedly lose again. I think we can take little from this game.

What i saw was that although Wigan were poor, they were running around endlessly, always harrying and never allowing us to take our time or play our game. Having to make short, quick passes led to inevitable mistakes, but we didn''t panic or lose concentration and got the result we deserved. That''s the sort of dirty three points that helps get a team promoted. That''s how you get out of this poxy division.It WAS ugly football, but we stuck to it. I think, hope, we can get some inspiration from it.

I was at the game yesterday and to say we were ordinary in being kind! Appreciate it was 2 teams playing without confidence and under pressure but the game was dire and if we had been up against anyone decent there is no doubt the result would have been different. Same weaknesses and frailty as seen in other games it just was that Wigan were too poor to take advantage.

The win undoubtedly will take some of the pressure off Adams but there was nothing in that performance or team selection to say we will be anywhere near the top of the table unless things improve dramatically.

[quote user="The Judge"]I was at the game yesterday and to say we were ordinary in being kind! Appreciate it was 2 teams playing without confidence and under pressure but the game was dire and if we had been up against anyone decent there is no doubt the result would have been different. Same weaknesses and frailty as seen in other games it just was that Wigan were too poor to take advantage.

The win undoubtedly will take some of the pressure off Adams but there was nothing in that performance or team selection to say we will be anywhere near the top of the table unless things improve dramatically.[/quote]

We have to take what we can get but its certainly a bit depressing that to get a win we''ve basically had to resort to playing 4 central midfielders and dropping any players with pace or flair. It''s a real shame that rather than exploit the extra quality we have in comparison to many teams we are now having to go back to basics and largely negate that extra quality. still I guess we need to build up some confidence again before we can start to be more free flowing again.

Jim

"It''s a real shame that rather than exploit the extra quality we have in comparison to many teams we are now having to go back to basics and largely negate that extra quality. still I guess we need to build up some confidence again before we can start to be more free flowing again. "

I agree with this Jim, and I hope what we are seeing is a back to basics approach, making it harder for teams to play against us, resulting from a conversation between Phelan and Neal.

OK many will say that we shouldn''t have got ourselves into this position, in fact I''m sure everyone will say that including myself, but from where we are now I don''t think we had any choice.

I expect to see a few more ground out 1 nil victories before the month is out. Let''s get some confidence back in there, we will see Ruddy back to his best, and give us a basis to have a real go in the final third of the season.

Top two is possibly beyond us but the best alternative will be to be the team that is flying come the play off''s.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]  It''s a real shame that rather than exploit the extra quality we have in comparison to many teams we are now having to go back to basics and largely negate that extra quality. still I guess we need to build up some confidence again before we can start to be more free flowing again.[/quote]

If we had been more attentive to basics in the first place, we wouldn''t be struggling now.  That is the annoyance factor of this season. I hope the penny has finally dropped with them.

Agree to an extent but even against a very poor Wigan side we were never really comfortable and playing that formation with those players in those positions against an even half decent side the result would more than likely have been different.

Haven''t got an issue with a back to basics approach and grinding out resukts playing ugly if we do it looking solid and with the right players in the right positions playing well.

Turner should play, martin should be dropped Redmond should be playing (as someone with his pace helps the defense no end my push the opposition back) one up front and pack 5 in midfield.

Win 1-0 looking solid against better sides is fair enough at the moment.

So pleased with the three points yesterday, and it was about the three points over performance for me. That said, we certainly made heavy weather of a very poor Wigan side, albeit looking more organised and at times playing at a better pace.

The season is a long one and we do have time, BUT....for me we would stand a better chance without NA rather than with.....a Manager of a top side should not need a back seat driver to show him how to do it!!

I think we''ll be very lucky to make the playoffs. With Derby, Bournemouth, Middlesborough and Watford streets ahead of us we''d be looking to compete with 4 or 5 teams in a tight division for 5th or 6th spot. What''s almost for certain is that a top 2 finish is beyond us and we lack the ability to be confident of promotion. They quality of play just isn''t there.

[quote user="Making Plans"] Beating Wigan could promote us[/quote][Y]Get the basics right and we can move forward accordingly. As has been said, not a great performance, thanks in part to Wigan''s doggedness, but a step in the right direction. Let''s now get three points against Huddy.

I keep hearing about how poor Wigan were. So what. They''ve been piss poor all season yet Forest and Boro couldn''t win on there cabbage patch pitch in front of their rugby orientated fans. The binners are the only other team that have managed it. So perhaps our Neil joined the dots...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I keep hearing about how poor Wigan were. So what. They''ve been piss poor all season yet Forest and Boro couldn''t win on there cabbage patch pitch in front of their rugby orientated fans. The binners are the only other team that have managed it. So perhaps our Neil joined the dots...[/quote]Quite interesting which way certain people have chosen to spin this, with some only giving begrudging credit, through gritted teeth, to the team they support, winning a game.

I''m hoping this is the start of a more methodical approach to games.

This is what I see Chelsea do, with all their talent and riches.

We are repairing at present, rebuilding confidence in players, management and fans. I hope the fans aren''t late in responding.

You have to earn the right to compete and then be more expansive in this league. You need to build into games.

I always believe that 0-0 is a good half time result for Norwich. Better than this is opposition 0 at half time because we often leave ourselves too much to do and the Reading game was a classic. We need to be more patient up to 70 minutes in games, as supporters.

But, when all is said and done it is only one game albeit exactly what was needed.

The most competent results in football are 1-0 or 2-0.

[quote user="morty"]Quite interesting which way certain people have chosen to spin this, with some only giving begrudging credit, through gritted teeth, to the team they support, winning a game.[/quote]It''s only those idiots who believed that the toughest league in the World was going to be a walk in the park & we would be crowned Champions on Boxing Day.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="morty"]Quite interesting which way certain people have chosen to spin this, with some only giving begrudging credit, through gritted teeth, to the team they support, winning a game.[/quote]It''s only those idiots who believed that the toughest league in the World was going to be a walk in the park & we would be crowned Champions on Boxing Day.[/quote]I don''t quite get the logic of people presuming it will be a one off, and we''ll probably lose next week.Just take it for what it is, a much needed win.We''ll worry about next week when it happens. Yeah if we are awful then it will show that yesterday really was all about how poor the opposition were.I would rather that fans go into next weeks game with an open mind, and a bit of cautious optimism rather than being nervy and waiting for the sucker punch, as that negative angst ruins the atmosphere.