Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Preston away

We''ll probably win but I''d prefer defeat. If we go on a good cup run I reckon we''ll finish in the bottom half. We''ve seen that a good cup run doesn''t boost smaller teams'' league performance - Wigan won both the cup and relegation, Leeds won at Old Trafford but dropping to 2nd as well

A cup run means more games which means more chances for injuries, fatigue and suspensions

Rudd was also on a season-long loan at Preston last season so he probably knows a bit about how they play. If we have him between the sticks for the game, I reckon we''ll keep a clean sheet

I want a good cup run.

there is always someone evry season who says they want to lose to preserve our league form

[quote user="city4eva"]

there is always someone every season who says they want to lose to preserve our league form[/quote]Agreed.And what good has not having any sort of cup run for the last 10+ years done us - absolutely none.Go for it.

[quote user="HazzaJet"]Well the last time we won the cup we got relegated didn''t we?[/quote]And the last time we didn''t win the cup we got relegated, didn''t we?

HazzaJet are you one of those re****s?

That was the league cup (milk cup)

And why would we get a clean sheet if Rudd was in goal just because he was there on loan?

What''s he gonna do? Ask the strikers not to score because he knows them?

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="city4eva"]

there is always someone every season who says they want to lose to preserve our league form[/quote]Agreed.And what good has not having any sort of cup run for the last 10+ years done us - absolutely none.Go for it.[/quote]

2002 - Playoff final

2004 - Championship Title

2010 - League 1 Title

2011 - Championship Runners-up

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="HazzaJet"]Well the last time we won the cup we got relegated didn''t we?[/quote]And the last time we didn''t win the cup we got relegated, didn''t we?[/quote]

Yes we did, but I do believe the management was partially to blame - I guess we would have stayed up if we''d won it

[quote user="HazzaJet"]I guess we would have stayed up if we''d won it[/quote]That''s the crux of the matter, you never know until you try

Look everyone I''m very sorry for what I''ve posted in this thread tonight, and please forgive me for irritating you all.

If we had a much larger squad (like Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd etc) I wouldn''t mind a good cup run, it''s just I have to admit I''m scared it could cause a problem for us in the league.

If we go on a good cup run and do well in the league then I''m wrong in what I''ve said

Big Apologies

HJ

Not sure I''d go quite as far as "whoareyou" but in the last 3 seasons Wigan fans have had 2 days out at Wembley, they have celebrated winning the FA Cup, they have watched their team playing in the Europa League & they have had the misery of getting relegated.We, on the other hand have just had the misery of getting relegated.I know what I''d would have preferred.

Whoareyou. I think I probably would as well. We''ve never won it so it''d be a massive part of our history. It''s not like we''ll ever get above about 8th in the Premiership anytime soon anyway. A couple of trips abroad for the Europa would be pretty cool as well provided we got a decent draw!

Been following City for best part of 40 years.The biggest highlights watching them have been winning the Milk Cup at Wembley and the Bayern Munich UEFA cup tie followed by  Mike Walker''s epic year in that first Premier League season.There have been good days out, sadly marred by defeat, in another League Cup Final at Wembley, the Play-Off final in Cardiff and two FA Cup semi finals.We are very unlikely to ever be able to challenge the top four of the Premier League again but we could go and win the FA Cup.I want to see us win that FA Cup at Wembley in my lifetime.No Premier League match/season will ever be as memorable as a great cup run and lifting that trophy.

Ok, I would like to see us win the FA cup as we''ve never got any further than the semi-finals. I just don''t want to see us go on a good cup run that ends with defeat in the quarter-finals and several important players out with long-term injuries

HazzaI wasnt getting at you personally, But it does get to me when fans say the cup doesnt matter.I have seen us win at Wembley and that is something you never forget.Promotions are great and memorablerelegations are crap and memorablefinishing mid table in the championship is forgettableMy son has never seen us play at Wembley would be nice to think that we could at least try and give it a go but sadly I dont think we will.PSI also enjoyed the season in league 1

would love to see city at wembley, but....this team is not good enough to win the fa cup

play the kids

rest the first team

By all measures, Luton weren''t good enough to beat us, but they did.And did it do us any good fielding a reserve team then, or against Shrewsbury, MK Dons, Orient, Carlisle, Bury etcNo.Play the first team and at least try & win it.

Totally agree - success breeds success.

And in any case if managers really think in terms of "promotion is all - let''s play the reserves" that will apply to PNE every bit as much to us.