Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

David McNally Q&A

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="tenpenny"][quote user="Orford65"][quote user="Dubai Mark"]This worries the hell out of me.......

"Norwich City will keep with work going with Neil Adams"
– David McNally[/quote]

Has he not been paying close attention to the dire football - and I use the word football loosely -being played out in front of him by the best squad in the Championship, led by a very nice man who is completely out of his depth and unable to motivate his players?Or, perhaps, having experienced life under CH he has been become somewhat numbed and now thinks that this is the norm.[/quote]A lot of the fans aren''t very ambitious and don''t seem to care about the quality of football. After years of decline they''re so desparate for their next fix of PL football that they''ll welcome the likes of Pulis with open arms. The longer term future doesn''t matter.[/quote]

As you seem to be the hyper-intelligent football fan,explain to us what direction the club should head in.[/quote]They''ve got to decide where they want to go before heading in a particular direction. I don''t think the club has really decided on a particular footballing philosophy, and therein lies the problem.

[quote user="Maccys Back"]Lappin "Waveney Canary / Canary from the Waveney Valley / Thorpe End Canary / River End Canary / Marvin Fairlady / Mike Hunt / Lowestoft Canary / Norwich4life / Herr Flick / Humpty the canary / Newton / Wizard of Waveney / Canary fun and games / Haven Canary / Lowestoft Determined Canary / flake district canary / Down in the Chumps / Adnams Out / Cheap Cheap Canaries / What Crisis? / Fluffy Bunny / Mankey Monkey / Tufty Squirrel / Even Keel  / King street canary / Chestnut canary / Ellie Goulding / Jeff butler / John thaw / John tree / Canary buffet / The beautiful south"

I''m 100% sure that mike hunt and his brother Izzak IS NOT Waveney, naturally I can''t reveal my ketchup but I know for a FACT[/quote]Thanks Maccy. [Y]   I''ll put them in the correct list then.......Macclesfield canary / Grantham canary / MrMcGoo1809 / Paris Lees Missing Tackle / RuelFox / Aces high / Izaak Hunt / Hughtons P45.2 / mungo bumpkin / Acolyte / Joaquín El Chapo Guzmán / lappy''s homeboy / GC / Norfolk Canary / jaemae2 / Maccy''s Back / jdawg32 / Hoolahan''s Left Foot / Mike Hunt I already had old Izaak in there so it was just little Mikey. Sorry about that. [:D]

Try .....Macclesfield canary / Grantham canary / MrMcGoo1809 / Paris Lees Missing Tackle Aces high / Izaak Hunt / Hughtons p45.2 / lappy''s homeboy / Maccy''s Back | Mike Hunt

What''s that work out as? 30% right and 70% lapp-spiracy. Which is pretty poor on your behalf especially as you seem to enjoy keeping note. So just how wrong is the encyclopedia of lapp-spiracies?

[quote user="tenpenny"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="tenpenny"][quote user="Orford65"][quote user="Dubai Mark"]This worries the hell out of me.......

– David McNally[/quote]

Has he not been paying close attention to the dire football - and I use the word football loosely -being played out in front of him by the best squad in the Championship, led by a very nice man who is completely out of his depth and unable to motivate his players?Or, perhaps, having experienced life under CH he has been become somewhat numbed and now thinks that this is the norm.[/quote]A lot of the fans aren''t very ambitious and don''t seem to care about the quality of football. After years of decline they''re so desparate for their next fix of PL football that they''ll welcome the likes of Pulis with open arms. The longer term future doesn''t matter.[/quote]

As you seem to be the hyper-intelligent football fan,explain to us what direction the club should head in.[/quote]They''ve got to decide where they want to go before heading in a particular direction. I don''t think the club has really decided on a particular footballing philosophy, and therein lies the problem.[/quote]Having read some interesting posts of late, i have understood where the club philosophy is heading, a long term Swansea/Soton mentality, rather than the sack and replace all of old. And i applaud this philosophy. Just a case of myself and others having the patience to see it come to fruition. That is the hard part.Footballing style. That''ll come in time. Let''s get the confidence of the players back first.

[quote user="Maccys Back"]Try .....Macclesfield canary / Grantham canary / MrMcGoo1809 / Paris Lees Missing Tackle Aces high / Izaak Hunt / Hughtons p45.2 / lappy''s homeboy / Maccy''s Back | Mike Hunt

What''s that work out as? 30% right and 70% lapp-spiracy. Which is pretty poor on your behalf especially as you seem to enjoy keeping note. So just how wrong is the encyclopedia of lapp-spiracies?[/quote]Jaemae and jdawg are the same person, but he is a beardy Yank, which i presume your not[:D]

[quote user="Maccys Back"]Try .....Macclesfield canary / Grantham canary / MrMcGoo1809 / Paris Lees Missing Tackle Aces high / Izaak Hunt / Hughtons p45.2 / lappy''s homeboy / Maccy''s Back | Mike Hunt

What''s that work out as? 30% right and 70% lapp-spiracy. Which is pretty poor on your behalf especially as you seem to enjoy keeping note. So just how wrong is the encyclopedia of lapp-spiracies?[/quote]The was a time when MrMcGoo suggested he might be responsible for Mungo a few others. Tell him I''m sorry and I''ll revise the list. [;)]

[quote user="morty"]PurpleCanary is David McNally.Clearly obvious.

[/quote]You can''t seriously think that I would have been so naive as to negotiate a basic salary of less than £1m AND agree to bonuses being scrapped if perfectly possible events, such as relegation, actually happened...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"]PurpleCanary is David McNally.Clearly obvious.

[/quote]You can''t seriously think that I would have been so naive as to negotiate a basic salary of less than £1m AND agree to bonuses being scrapped if perfectly possible events, such as relegation, actually happened...[/quote]No one here is believing your double bluff attempt for a minute.....

Dear oh dear (F)lappin. Your meant to have one oxycontin a day not 1 bloody tub.

I MrMcGoo do solemnly swear I have NEVER claimed I''m mungo pumpkin. Now seen as you love quoting on here so much. How''s about finding this post of mine claiming to be mungo. Or are you talking out your poo pipe again.

Doomed doomed I tell the

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="tenpenny"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="tenpenny"][quote user="Orford65"][quote user="Dubai Mark"]This worries the hell out of me.......

– David McNally[/quote]

As you seem to be the hyper-intelligent football fan,explain to us what direction the club should head in.[/quote]They''ve got to decide where they want to go before heading in a particular direction. I don''t think the club has really decided on a particular footballing philosophy, and therein lies the problem.[/quote]Having read some interesting posts of late, i have understood where the club philosophy is heading, a long term Swansea/Soton mentality, rather than the sack and replace all of old. And i applaud this philosophy. Just a case of myself and others having the patience to see it come to fruition. That is the hard part.Footballing style. That''ll come in time. Let''s get the confidence of the players back first.[/quote]Aside from appointing a novice, I agree on the stupidity of the sack cycle especially when it involves manager plus two coaches going in/out every 18 months.But I do wonder about what the footballing style actually is. From the early games it looked like an emulation of Paul Lambert''s side, but that plan seems to have been binned already. I''d prefer something of a step up from crossing the ball for a big striker to head home, there''s too many other teams that play that sort of game.

[quote user="Herman "]Having read some interesting posts of late, i have understood where the club philosophy is heading, a long term Swansea/Soton mentality, rather than the sack and replace all of old. And i applaud this philosophy. Just a case of myself and others having the patience to see it come to fruition. That is the hard part.Footballing style. That''ll come in time. Let''s get the confidence of the players back first.[/quote]

Totally agree.  However,  the long term aim and the short term aims do seem to have been a bit contradictory.  I applauded the board in trying to stick with Hughton precisely because of  the apparent desire to have a long term view. When this faltered, they tried this new track, on one hand saying they wanted a quick return to the top flight, but the evidence appearing that they wanted a longer term plan of continuity in place more.   Purely getting a quick return might have been better with an experienced manager, building a regime behind him that would involve staff that could work through to the top job. 

In putting Adams in the top job, they have put two elephants in the same room.   The desire for quick success  - and at the same time long term stability of a continuous regime. Imo the two don''t marry up.   Too much pressure to succeed quickly against the desire for a longer term approach.  I hope it works.   Phelan will help get the players'' confidence up by working on the right things in training - its up to Neil to grow into the job and learn quickly.   Wigan gives us a foothold to build from and lets hope we go from strength to strength from here.  

Fair points. I''m not sure what the board could have done. Hiring an experienced manager would normally mean we''d have to hire his backroom staff as well, meaning no long term progression.Also if they had said we aren''t aiming for promotion because they want to put in a long term regime then they would have been chased out of town.All i can say is that i am glad i don''t have to make the decisions....

Still no firm idea on what kind of style we''re supposed to be aiming for. If we had a plan and have ripped it up already in favour of a Hughtonesque game then it''s not a good sign. We may as well have kept Hughton in the job.

It should have been all about the short term the year after relegation. Employ an experienced manager, and get back to the PL in year one. Regrouping in the Championship is a nonsense in my view. First, you lose your best players. Second, as each year passes, you have to compete with three new former PL teams with £50m parachute fortunes. At least they won''t be poaching our manager but will be looking for managers with experience. What price Lennon, McCarthy or Warnock now? Pulis established a team in the PL he should now be our choice to do it again.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]It should have been all about the short term the year after relegation. Employ an experienced manager, and get back to the PL in year one. Regrouping in the Championship is a nonsense in my view. First, you lose your best players. Second, as each year passes, you have to compete with three new former PL teams with £50m parachute fortunes. At least they won''t be poaching our manager but will be looking for managers with experience. What price Lennon, McCarthy or Warnock now? Pulis established a team in the PL he should now be our choice to do it again.[/quote]Lennon, Mccarthy and Warnock. And also Pulis.Last time I looked at least two of those were already employed, you think we just snap our fingers and they jump at the chance to come here?Lennon? Sorry just no..You are massively over simplifying things here, like its just as easy as getting manager X and you''ll be promoted.

Our views are different on this matter. I believe we will live to rue not appointing someone of Lennon''s or Warnock''s calibre in May. Much as we continuing to pay the price of not acting a year ago.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Our views are different on this matter. I believe we will live to rue not appointing someone of Lennon''s or Warnock''s calibre in May. Much as we continuing to pay the price of not acting a year ago.[/quote]My view is that you will continue to be miserable, whatever happens[;)]You may well be right, but much the same as the last appointment, I see what the board are trying to do, it may work, it may not, but thats football, theres no certainties, unless you have ridiculous amounts of money. I don''t believe the board are stupid, or incompetent, but I believe are doing their best under difficult constraints, the main one being we get what we can afford.And before you cite the golden pot of money for being promoted, I shall give you the example of our blue "friends" down the road, who have been rolling the dice for some years trying to get promoted, and are now in hock to a loan shark to the tune of 86 million.So, yes, its important we get promoted, but the longer term is also important. And saying "Ah if we had only got X manager we would have got promoted / stayed up, is just pure speculation.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Highland Canary"]It should have been all about the short term the year after relegation. Employ an experienced manager, and get back to the PL in year one. Regrouping in the Championship is a nonsense in my view. First, you lose your best players. Second, as each year passes, you have to compete with three new former PL teams with £50m parachute fortunes. At least they won''t be poaching our manager but will be looking for managers with experience. What price Lennon, McCarthy or Warnock now? Pulis established a team in the PL he should now be our choice to do it again.[/quote]Lennon, Mccarthy and Warnock. And also Pulis.Last time I looked at least two of those were already employed, you think we just snap our fingers and they jump at the chance to come here?Lennon? Sorry just no..You are massively over simplifying things here, like its just as easy as getting manager X and you''ll be promoted.

[/quote]If we had appointed Warnock or McCarthy (even assuming he would have come) in the summer the board would have been widely accused (including probably by you) of settling for a Championship level manager who might, at best, get us in the play-offs. Now it can be argued that they would by default have been better choices than Adams as Adams seems to be turning out, but that was not the argument back then. Back then Adams represented continuity, a plan for the future, and the hope that he might turn out be be very good.As to Pulis, the chances of him then agreeing to go down a level to the Championship werre remotet, given that he must have assumed a Premier League job would become available. And Lennon represented a gamble almost as big as Adams without the benefit of continuity.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"]PurpleCanary is David McNally.Clearly obvious.

[/quote]You can''t seriously think that I would have been so naive as to negotiate a basic salary of less than £1m AND agree to bonuses being scrapped if perfectly possible events, such as relegation, actually happened...[/quote]No one here is believing your double bluff attempt for a minute.....[/quote]I think a double bluff would be if I said I was David McNally...

If we had appointed Warnock or McCarthy (even assuming he would have come) in the summer the board would have been widely accused (including probably by you) of settling for a Championship level manager who might, at best, get us in the play-offs. Lol, are you really criticising me for something that I may of, or may not of, thought?

[quote user="morty"]If we had appointed Warnock or McCarthy (even assuming he would have come) in the summer the board would have been widely accused (including probably by you) of settling for a Championship level manager who might, at best, get us in the play-offs. Lol, are you really criticising me for something that I may of, or may not of, thought?[/quote]Er, no. That is not directed at you, morty. Not everything is...And while I am posting, to those who think we should have gone for Lennon, by my quick reckoning in the summer or very early autumn this year (ie before Bolton took a chance on Lennon) eight Championship clubs changed managers:Blackpool, Brighton, Charlton, Leeds (multiple times), Huddersfield, Watford (twice), Cardiff and Fulham. Not one chose Lennon. And there are some big clubs there to which Lennon might well have been attracted. It is a pretty fair assumption that most if not all of those boards of directors took the view that Lennon''s record in a league that Bryan Gunn could have won and some Braveheart performances in Europe was no guarantee of success in the slog of a 46-game and highly competitive league.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"]If we had appointed Warnock or McCarthy (even assuming he would have come) in the summer the board would have been widely accused (including probably by you) of settling for a Championship level manager who might, at best, get us in the play-offs. Lol, are you really criticising me for something that I may of, or may not of, thought?[/quote]Er, no. That is not directed at you, morty. Not everything is...And while I am posting, to those who think we should have gone for Lennon, by my quick reckoning in the summer or very early autumn this year (ie before Bolton took a chance on Lennon) eight Championship clubs changed managers:Blackpool, Brighton, Charlton, Leeds (multiple times), Huddersfield, Watford (twice), Cardiff and Fulham. Not one chose Lennon. And there are some big clubs there to which Lennon might well have been attracted. It is a pretty fair assumption that most if not all of those boards of directors took the view that Lennon''s record in a league that Bryan Gunn could have won and some Braveheart performances in Europe was no guarantee of success in the slog of a 46-game and highly competitive league.[/quote]Oh, I just assumed in replying to my post and including the phrase "Including probably by you" that was the case.Clearly I was mistaken lol[;)]

[quote user="morty"]

Oh, I just assumed in replying to my post and including the phrase "Including probably by you" that was the case.Clearly I was mistaken lol[;)][/quote]Indeed you were. I was replying to Highland''s post, and included your comments on that post because, unusually, they were sensible, and helped back up my argument. I doubt it will happen again, so I don''t see this mutual embarrassment as a long-term problem...

Have to laugh at the comments that appointing Lennon would have been as big a gamble as Adams! Really? Title winning, domestic cup winning, Champions league experienced manager with a CV of beating teams the calibre of Barcelonna Verses Under 18 cup winner and 1 point out of a possible 15 in management at the time. I like Adams and really hope it works out but behave.

I could beat Lewis Hamilton it a straight 1 mile race NN if I were driving a Ferrari and he was in a Skoda Rapid.