Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Return Of The King.

He deserves a lot of respect from us for the service he gave.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Thankfully he''s crap now.[/quote]That''s just it though - he isn''t crap now, as he has proved at Huddersfield.   Well proved at this level, he will give us problems on Saturday without a doubt - as will their other striker.Could be facing a team including Jacob Butterfield, JamesVaughan and Grant Holt........three players who most of us would have been pleased to keep.....   That Nahki Wells isn''t half useful too.....

Considering how easy it appears to be to score by headers against our back line......I think its a nailed on cert for Holty to score, but we should and need to win this one!

I for one would be happy for Holty to score as long as we win.

I hope it doesn''t get too sentimental or he could be leaving with the offer of the managers job by full time!

[quote user="Jenkins"]Hope he doesn''t start and warms up in front of the snake pit.[/quote]What we don''t want is this to become the Grant Holt Show as it will inevitably means he will play well and score and we can''t afford to lose points against Huddersfield.  Team selection/tactics  could be interesting for both teams -  I suspect Holt might play on the left.  That side of the pitch is a bit weak defensively for us if we have Redmond or Howson there imo.     I''d man mark him with Johnson, keep him quiet and let O''Neill, Tettey and Howson boss the rest of midfield.   Give Holt an inch and he will take a yard......his pass over the defence last week for one of the Huddersfield goals was outrageous............he''s still got it!

[quote user="Eric Van Strudelhoffen"]I hope the King is not coming this weekend he died in Norfolk on 6th February 1952 that would take some warming up, but then again there''s of dead wood in the snake pit[/quote]

I think as a first post this is one of the most unusual/stupid/incomprehensible/weird/did I mention stupid?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jenkins"]Hope he doesn''t start and warms up in front of the snake pit.[/quote]

What we don''t want is this to become the Grant Holt Show as it will inevitably means he will play well and score and we can''t afford to lose points against Huddersfield.  Team selection/tactics  could be interesting for both teams -  I suspect Holt might play on the left.  That side of the pitch is a bit weak defensively for us if we have Redmond or Howson there imo.     I''d man mark him with Johnson, keep him quiet and let O''Neill, Tettey and Howson boss the rest of midfield.   Give Holt an inch and he will take a yard......his pass over the defence last week for one of the Huddersfield goals was outrageous............he''s still got it!

[/quote]

Last 2 home games our left back area has been targetted by the oppostion.

Reading and Brighton both based all their attacks down our left including a lot of high balls from the goalkeepers etc. Our left hand side is far weaker than our right hand side in my opinion and it seems in the opinion of opposing managers.

[quote user="ellis206"]

Last 2 home games our left back area has been targetted by the oppostion.

Reading and Brighton both based all their attacks down our left including a lot of high balls from the goalkeepers etc. Our left hand side is far weaker than our right hand side in my opinion and it seems in the opinion of opposing managers.[/quote]

Less to do with a weakness on the left hand side, more to do with Olssons lack of height meaning teams think they can catch him out by placing tall players against him and attempting long-balls. It could be argues that this actually shows the strength of our left hand side, trams don''t think they can beat Olsson on the ground so try to beat him in the air.

Sorry but if you''ve watched Olsson this season you''ll realise he has been poor in all areas.

A shadow of the player we had in the Premier League.

[quote user="STAN"]Sorry but if you''ve watched Olsson this season you''ll realise he has been poor in all areas.

A shadow of the player we had in the Premier League.[/quote]I think "poor" is doing him a disservice, could he have suffered from not having had someone on the left, in front of him, who does their share of the defending?

He has had an unfair amount of critisism IMO, he is a player that can get to the goal line and put in a good cross, but to have the confidence to do that there has to be someone dropping in behind him, and it''s not been happening. It''s another fine tweak that needs to be done to sort the team out, I really don''t think we are that far off.

And yet countless other players have managed to be good defenders with wingers in front of them not ''tracking back''. Drury, for example.I''m a huge fan of Olsson, but have to agree he''s been poor this season. He''s too good a player to get away with the ''winger not helping'' argument. I still wouldn''t drop him though, but then i don''t rate Garrido. And that''s not to say i agree that we''re weaker on the left either.

[quote user=""]And yet countless other players have managed to be good defenders with wingers in front of them not ''tracking back''. Drury, for example.I''m a huge fan of Olsson, but have to agree he''s been poor this season. He''s too good a player to get away with the ''winger not helping'' argument. I still wouldn''t drop him though, but then i don''t rate Garrido. And that''s not to say i agree that we''re weaker on the left either.[/quote]Thats one example, hardly countless.Well perhaps while he''s not so good this season, he could have done with a bit of help?

That''s a fair point. I''d get you more if you really can''t think of any yourself, but quite frankly i''m not that bothered. Just throwing an opinion out there.Off the top of my head and within the twenty seconds i took over this post - Dennis Irwin? Mark Bowen?Absolutely he could have done. If he''s not playing well - which i''d say he isn''t - give the guy more of a hand on the pitch. I''m not having a go at him Morty - he had a tough summer according to the reports, and players go through drops in form. That''s football.

[quote user=""]That''s a fair point. I''d get you more if you really can''t think of any yourself, but quite frankly i''m not that bothered. Just throwing an opinion out there.Off the top of my head and within the twenty seconds i took over this post - Dennis Irwin? Mark Bowen?Absolutely he could have done. If he''s not playing well - which i''d say he isn''t - give the guy more of a hand on the pitch. I''m not having a go at him Morty - he had a tough summer according to the reports, and players go through drops in form. That''s football.[/quote]I don''t disagree with what you''re saying, but if fans can see it, why can''t Neil?I have been saying for far too long now how we need a left sided player in on loan, so that at least if we do play 4-4-2, we can be solid down one side,  a good example being the Huckerby days. Everyone knew we attacked down one side, but it didn''t matter, as it worked. A good example of a winger / wide midfielder who tracks back well is Elliot Bennet. I just think Olsson could do with a similar player, while he is going through a patchy spell.

I can''t speak for Adams i''m afraid. But let''s not turn this into yet another debate on Neil, eh? Maybe this admittedly rather lacklustre 4 central defenders idea is how he''s planning on being more solid for the full backs? Beyond that i couldn''t say.Agree with you completely on Elliot Bennett. I''ve always thought he''d make a good right back, to be honest.

[quote user=""]I can''t speak for Adams i''m afraid. But let''s not turn this into yet another debate on Neil, eh? Maybe this admittedly rather lacklustre 4 central defenders idea is how he''s planning on being more solid for the full backs? Beyond that i couldn''t say.Agree with you completely on Elliot Bennett. I''ve always thought he''d make a good right back, to be honest.[/quote]Okay for Neil, substitute "The management team" it wasn''t a dig at him.

Fair enough. It is frustrating, i''ll give you that.Obviously that should''ve been ''4 central midfielders'' in the post above.

[quote user=""]Fair enough. It is frustrating, i''ll give you that.Obviously that should''ve been ''4 central midfielders'' in the post above. [/quote]He has had a rough time in his personal life, and I think although he isn''t at his best, people are being slightly harsh on him.Very surprised Garrido hasn''t been given a game or two, just so Olsson can catch his breath.