Sign in to follow this  
The Judge

Russell Martin - Defensive Rock !!

Must be why we have kept so many clean sheets then....??

Appreciate the journalist has taken abit of creative licence with the headline as at no point did Adams say that - but he did say Martins performances have been top class - oh dear !

Far from top class along with the rest of the defence

Grant Holt v Russell Martin on Saturday...,I wonder who will win that battle.

I can''t say any of our defenders have been top class......solid would be good! But for me average at bedt this season.

I don''t understand the point of getting in 3 CB and playing Martin there? We have Bennett, Miquel who should be our future CB partnership.

Still clean sheet last week and another this weekend and I might think differently.

Martin is a centre-back now - he can also play right back - but he is a capable and versatile footballer whatever position he plays in.  Also, his distribution from the centre back position is the best of any of the centre-backs we have.    

Perhaps the manager is trying to boost his confidence a bit..........maybe the constant criticism of the fans at his playing there is getting to him a bit......as  maybe  the treatment of  Ruddy by some fans is too.     The message board experts tell us he''s a better right back - but its only their opinion...............the football experts seem to think he''s more useful at CB.......I know who''s judgement I would back.

At this level Russell Martin whether at RB or CB is well capable, plus we also have a selection of very good defenders, also well capable at this level....Olsson Swedish international, Whittaker..Scotland....Turner who was comfortable in the EPL other than against a Suarez or Aguerro, but who has them in his pocket.....plus our best defender is on loan at Watford.

I feel that the problem has been the way we defend as a "team" and throughout the team. This has to be as a direct result of the coaching staff not setting them up correctly or adopting the right tactics..........something I am hoping MP will help correct, and we saw a glimpse of change vs Wigan.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Martin is a centre-back now - he can also play right back - but he is a capable and versatile footballer whatever position he plays in.  Also, his distribution from the centre back position is the best of any of the centre-backs we have.     [/quote]Would have to issue with that LDC.  We''ve hardly seen Cuellar, and haven''t seen Miguel at all, so I don''t see how any fair judgement on their distribution can be made.[:)]

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="lake district canary"]Martin is a centre-back now - he can also play right back - but he is a capable and versatile footballer whatever position he plays in.  Also, his distribution from the centre back position is the best of any of the centre-backs we have.     [/quote]Would have to issue with that LDC.  We''ve hardly seen Cuellar, and haven''t seen Miguel at all, so I don''t see how any fair judgement on their distribution can be made.[:)][/quote]Well, its better than Turner, Hooiveld and R. Bennett from what I''ve seen,  Cuellar may be as good, I grant you.  Miquel?? Does he actually exist? [:^)] 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="lake district canary"]Martin is a centre-back now - he can also play right back - but he is a capable and versatile footballer whatever position he plays in.  Also, his distribution from the centre back position is the best of any of the centre-backs we have.     [/quote]Would have to issue with that LDC.  We''ve hardly seen Cuellar, and haven''t seen Miguel at all, so I don''t see how any fair judgement on their distribution can be made.[:)][/quote]Well, its better than Turner, Hooiveld and R. Bennett from what I''ve seen,  Cuellar may be as good, I grant you.  Miquel?? Does he actually exist? [:^)]  [/quote]Yes well, Miguel may be an optical whotsit, but we have Adams to thank for that.  Buy ''em, then don''t play ''em, just stick ''em in the cupboard is a philosophy I don''t understand.  For all we know he might be a wonderful distributor of the ball.  Will we ever find out before he''s sent out on loan to the wilds of somewhere.[;)]

[quote user="pliff"]Rocks can move quicker than he does[/quote]So some folk keep saying but he is quicker than: Whittaker, Turner, Cuellar and Hoiveld. So either those folk are a bit wrong or the rest of our defense bar one or two move slower than, well mountains?!For what it''s worth, he is probably our most consistently performing defender right now. Olsson arguably, can perhaps beat that but he has been very in and out of form so far this season. Turner is the next best next to Martin if you ask me, and even he has had a couple of dips in games where you would normally back him to do better.Still, that''s just my view and I suspect there will be a horde of posters creep from the shadows to claw at me.

I don''t think you can really expect NA to say anything else about him. He''s made him his captain and he''s an influential figure.

Being realistic it''s a bit of a stretch to say he''s been "outstanding". I don''t think NA would genuinely believe that to be the case. If he does then maybe his standards aren''t what they should be.