Sign in to follow this  
Les

'The Count'

I saw his debut game for us v Millwall way back in 1958.But as you well know Les, I''m getting on a bit.Happy Xmas[:D]

I''m catching you up fast, just had 60th Birthday.[:''(]First saw him in 1968 !I wonder how many are wondering who ''The Count'' is??Merry Xmas.

Just a little bit before my time but am well aware of "the count"! Happy Birthday, legend!

yes he does, good to hear former players are not left in the wilderness when they stay in the area.

And a well-remembered performer at Lakenham Cricket Ground. Henry Blofeld opening the batting, Bill Edrich hitting sixes and ambling in to bowl off-breaks, and Terry Allcock keeping wicket. Halcyon summer days.

Yes, I remember the cricket Purple. Never thought about it before but I wonder who he played cricket for up north before we signed him.

Brings back memories Purple. Didn''t I read sometime back that Lakenham Cricket Ground is no more? If so where does Norfolk play now?

Haven''t played at Lakenham for years Stewfil. Norfolk play at Horsford now. I have good memories of watching cricket at Lakenham but have to admit I''ve never watched at Horsford even though I must say I''m going to every year....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Haven''t played at Lakenham for years Stewfil. Norfolk play at Horsford now. I have good memories of watching cricket at Lakenham but have to admit I''ve never watched at Horsford even though I must say I''m going to every year....[/quote]

Go next year Nutty. Brilliant day out - like footie in the old days. And if you pick the right day you might even get served a pint by yours truly.

The Count was centre forward when I started watching City back in cough cough splutter.

[quote user="stewfil"]Brings back memories Purple. Didn''t I read sometime back that Lakenham Cricket Ground is no more? If so where does Norfolk play now?[/quote]Stewfil, if I have got this right Lakenham Cricket Ground was bought quite a few years ago by Harry Serruys, the local businessman, who promptly (no doubt to his financial advantage) ruined it as a cricket ground by placing a dirty great eyesore of  an indoor tennis hall there. I am not blaming him, but it was a great shame. Some of the game''s most famous players had appeared there.After a few years of agonised debate Norfolk CCC moved to Horsford. And now Lakenham is going to be developed for housing, so that is categorically the end of that piece of sporting history.And if there is a lesson there it is that Norfolk CCC had no control over any of this, because they didn''t own the ground. And the point for football clubs, such as Norwich City, is that you sell your ground and rent it back only as a last resort, to stave off financial oblivion.