Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Spend now, not later, City!

We need a class central defender now City, not January but now!.

We know, unless old Doomcaster has moved the goalposts again, that Worthy has at least 1.5 million to spend. So bloody well spend it man now, before the season really does go bad.

20 days to find a class player, surely he can do that, or will he fiddle, like Nero, while Rome burns!.

No we need a class midfielder who can actually pass and keep possession, there are plenty of capable players for the CB position already. Safri and such a player would be awesome

[quote]We need a class central defender now City, not January but now!. We know, unless old Doomcaster has moved the goalposts again, that Worthy has at least 1.5 million to spend. So bloody well spend it m...[/quote]

I have to agree that the squad does need strengthening but would start with cover/support for Youssef - his hard work will be for nothing unless he gets a decent partner.

While the management have yet to see 3 of the six possible combinations in action I would be loath to buy another defender.   Start with shacks and one of either charlie, doc or colin will surely suit?  We have nothing to lose and an awful lot to lose by not giving it a go.

OTBC

We need to buy in a really classy centre mid to partner the brilliant Safri.  This would add extra dimensions to our attack-play and take the pressure off Youssef.

Someone of the standard of Sidwell would be more than acceptable!!!!!!!

If we buy, then centre midfield is the area.  Bearing in mind Safri''s likely involvement in the African Nations Cup, a creative attacking midfielder is the priority. Depends a lot though on how Jarrett shapes up. It''s a shame we havent got longer to assess him before the transfer window closes. Only other creative option I can see is moving Marney inside and playing McVeigh wide right. This might be too much responsibility for him though at this stage...

Midfielder first, Wiz!! I have been advocating Sidwell since the January transfer slot last season, he is the the obvious "class" act in this league.  Following the exodus of highly paid players this season, plus the influx of transfer fees, we have the capital available, and we have the available wages, so do it now!!

If we have any money left after that then look for a centreback.

However, I think Colin/Shacks could be an interesting combo, as would Charlie/Shacks.

It''s probably too late!

I can''t see Reading selling is Sidwell, and look at how much we had to pay for Hughes! Cardiff will not part with Koumas, who could be their passport to better things! He has already turned things on once for them and scored a great goal!

I agree completely that we need someone much better in the central midfield. I would go further and usggest that it''s mid-table obscurity unless we can find someone. We missed one or two deals which were done earlier between seasons, and concentrated on cheap or free deals.

All indications are that the Club are holding (-Francis and other) money back for the January window. But this will probably be too late, and what player of ability will want to come to us then if we are well down. We shall be going for the likes of Stuart(Stewart?)!

If we can survive, with massive good luck over injuries, to the play-offs, and if we could produce a minor miracle and be promoted, then the cash pile will enable more Premiership quality players to bought in, but this outcome seems very unlikely unless we can produce something from the midfield. So far, and on reputations, a play-off place is far from certain.

In an absolute ideal world I''d want another central defender and another central midfielder. However, we''ve got more cover in central midfield than we have at centre back.

We really don''t know whether Colin can cut it at centre back or not yet and Charlie is just too short to be a central defender in this league in my opinion.

So central defender please. How''s Sam Sodje getting on at Brentford?

Agreed - look at the contribution already made to Cardiff by Koumas - a great goal. The rest of the team may not be much good, but if he can produce this sort of contribution on a regular basis, they could well finish above us!

Keeping a cash pile until January may seem sensible, but if we are too low then to attract anyone with ambition, what''s the point?

Come on Worthy. We have a good squad (even if it is small and risky), but there are weaknesses in the midfield, especially if we have just one injury there. Make the team a very good one, with real promotion prospects. Buy a good midfielder, and not another cheap one!

I dunno why Doncaster is labelled as Doomcaster, he seems to be don''t a godo job for me

i) pushes the boat out to get 3 loan players in the promotion year

ii) Releases the dosh to get Leon and Hux at Christmas time recognising the chance for promotion

iii) Gets the money togeather to pick up the Danish Captain + a few more intl players before going into the Prem

iv) Helps set the club record signing for Aston by allowing arranginig the payment to be spread over the parachute payments so we can get Ashton even thou we don''t have the money ''right then''

v) Sticks to his guns and forces another club to pay up for Francis

vi) Pledges all money raised by selling players goes back into buying new ones (rather than helping to service club debts).

I''m happy to say that I think the bloke is doing a very difficult job and doing it very well. I remember being there chanting ''CHASE OUT'' and while I''d love for them to splah the cash I''d rather NCFC does okay and be able to take my children to see a decent match in 10 yrs time than be in the positon of say Notts Forest.

Eldrich

PS Buy another midfielder asap!

It would appear, from the replies anyway, that money must be spent now.

If Worthy thinks he can get to January, without injuries and suspensions, then he''s more bloody naive than I thought!.

And its already been said that we will loose Safri for some games.

We have the money, Doomcaster said all transfer funds would go to Nigel did he not?. So it must be spent now.

Ashton''s a classic case, had City got him in August, we could still be in the premier league now!.

SPEND NOW CITY, we have long memories here!.

My response to this is the same as I have been saying since relegation.  There is no point holding back big amounts of money for January!  Keep some but the majority should be spent before the window closes.  There is no point having £2-£3m to spend in January if we are mid-table and not looking in contention for the automatic promotion places.  It will be much harder to attract the quality we want and in turn keep the quality we have.  IMO if promotion is not looking likely by the time the window re-opens it''s bye bye Deano and Greeno!

My response to this is the same as I have been saying since relegation.  There is no point holding back big amounts of money for January!  Keep some but the majority should be spent before the window closes.  There is no point having £2-£3m to spend in January if we are mid-table and not looking in contention for the automatic promotion places.  It will be much harder to attract the quality we want and in turn keep the quality we have.  IMO if promotion is not looking likely by the time the window re-opens it''s bye bye Deano and Greeno!

[quote]My response to this is the same as I have been saying since relegation. There is no point holding back big amounts of money for January! Keep some but the majority should be spent before the window ...[/quote]

Nice hatrick Saint!.  

I agree that if we can find the right players at the right price, we should bring them in, and CM is an urgent priority. But who?

- Buying a young CB from League 1 is risky IMO, and expecting them to come straight in and command our defense, and be suitable for the Premiership, is a bit dreamland if you ask me (I have seen comments about this on other threads). I saw Brentford last season, Sodje didn''t shine as they let in 2 from a poor Chesterfield team (except their CB Ian Evatt, who is now at QPR).

- CMs - all the names keep coming back to Koumas (bad attitude, at Cardiff now anyway), Sidwell (too expensive, and why would Reading sell him to us?), Idiakez (will be 32 later this year, hardly one for building for the future) and Etuhu (looks a good call to be honest, but looks like Everton are intereted, and would Preston sell to us?)

- Ashton wasn''t available last summer even if we did have the funds!

I know Worthy has said he will sit on the money as he is happy with the squad as is, but what do you expect him to say? If he publicly states he is desperate for another CM, the price of anyone who might be available goes up. Worthy must know how small the squad is, I have faith in him that he will bring someone else in IF its the right player at the right price.

Look at how quick we are to condemn him at the slightest hint of a ''panic buy'' (as people view Doc''s purchase). Are we suggesting the situation is so bad we ''panic buy'' now? Who is REALISTICALLY available, at a price we can afford, at a club who will sell to us, who is at least proven at Championship level?

I had put on another thread that surely West Brom will have a clause in the loan contract of Koumas to say that if somebody meets their valuation they reserve the right to recall him and sell him. They would want the transfer money if it was available, at the moment all they are doing is saving his wages (and it might not be all of them).

Koumas is a class act, it is NW''s job to "manage" the likes of him and get the best of them. Of course he might not want to come to us (I think his family is in Cardiff) but I would love to see us try and would feel very confident of promotion with a midfield 4 of Marney, Koumas, Safri and Huckerby.

Mark .Y.

[quote]I had put on another thread that surely West Brom will have a clause in the loan contract of Koumas to say that if somebody meets their valuation they reserve the right to recall him and sell him. The...[/quote]

And as I replied to you in another thread,  Cardiff have first option on buying him, with a the price already negotiated.

BUY SOME QUALITY NOW, WORTHY! Haven''t you learned your lesson from last season, when buying Ashton in the summer may have (probably would have!) helped to save us?

dont be so petulant - yes ok ashton may well have kept us up had we had him since august - but in august we didnt have the inclination to buy him as at that point he had not scored 20 goals in 20-something games for crewe and you would have been one of the first slating worthy for buying championship quality.....think before you speak!