Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

Lafferty and Grabban!!

We should have used an impressionist painting to buy football players?Yeah, not a bad plan[Y]

This would be the Grabban that scored with is first touch of the ball on Saturday?

Lafferty is imo one of those players who once he gets the right frame of mind will be a good force up front.  He strikes me as one of those inspirational kind of players who once he gets that spark of confidence will be a real character and hard to leave out of the team.  He''s come so close to scoring on quite a lot of occasions. Once he does, there will be no looking back.    But he needs that goal, because there is good competition for places up front.   He''s good on the left too and played there a lot for Rangers but Murphy has more pace so he is up against it to force his way in on a regular basis. 

Grabban is also an excellent player when in form and confident.  I don''t think these two players have been used as well as they might have been up to now. When Grabban went off the boil, that was surely a time to take him out of the firing line.   But, hopefully the management team are on the right track now and we can start to see whoever is in the team playing well or if they aren''t being dropped by better use of the squad.

That''s the same Grabban who has scored 7 and without whose goals we''d have not beaten Blackburn or binners to name two. He''s a decent player, as is Lafferty, it is l about getting/keeping confidence.

All it would take is an injury to Jerome, and we would be looking for Lafferty to fill the role.I think he suffers slightly from being too flexible though, he has played more of his games out wide, rather than a central striker.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]What a waste of money, both duds, should had used that monet to buy a top, top quality striker!![/quote]perhaps you are from suffolk as you don''t sound to bright

Lafferty is now 27 and should be at his peak. He has a lot of talent and IMO the only thing holding his career back is his temperament , and the absence of a couple of goals which I am sure will come.

I think having someone like Phelan on the staff will help Lafferty, a highly respected coach who I''m sure will be helping him to learn to use his aggression in a positive way on the pitch.

lafferty has been played out of position but cannot see him getting a game starting up front if Jerome is fit. He has a league 1 look about him to me. Grabban has scored goals but in spurts. I cannot see him starting if Hooper is fit but is a very useful back up to our strikers and he did finish well on saturday. He does need lots of chances to score though. this is a squad game and both will make contributions as the second half of the season goes on. As to if they were worth the fees paid for them that is another matter, but i guess in the current market they would not have come much cheaper

Got to wonder at the motives of the OP who has started 2 threads in the last 2 days criticising the signing of 2 forwards who have scored 16 goals between them so far this season.

We need a 4th choice striker, Lafferty is a very good 4th choice striker....or would you rather have wilbraham?

Lafferty may not be prolific, but he works hard and is very direct. For what he is to the team (back up striker to the backup striker), he''s a very welcome addition imo.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]We need a 4th choice striker, Lafferty is a very good 4th choice striker....or would you rather have wilbraham?

Lafferty may not be prolific, but he works hard and is very direct. For what he is to the team (back up striker to the backup striker), he''s a very welcome addition imo.[/quote]Wilbrahamovic is actually having a really good season[Y]

Both players are needed at the moment. If we are going to start with two up top it seems Jerome and Hooper will get the nod. Should either be injured or unavailable for any reason then Lafferty could well step up.

Should we tactically need to revert to one up top then Grabban is the best choice as his movement an pace is better than the other three.

All have a use and all are needed.

Grabban is a good backup striker, and with his pace, should be extremely effective coming off the bench later in games. With Jerome and Hoops starting to form a good partnership, I can only see this as Grabbans role, unless either gets injured.I feel a bit sorry for Lafferty. He''s been played out of position for us, and clearly thrives in a strikers role for N Ireland, whilst never having been given that chance here.

So ligament, or tendon whatever your name is, are you going to go through the entire squad? This could be a bit of a slow burner.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]What a waste of money, both duds, should had used that monet to buy a top, top quality striker!![/quote]

Oh dear. More tedious dribble from ZT. They will both play their part. Players will go in and out of form. It''s a squad thing, get over it. We''re not exactly offering Champions League football, who do you expect us to sign?

[quote user="Samwam27"]Grabban is a good backup striker, and with his pace, should be extremely effective coming off the bench later in games. With Jerome and Hoops starting to form a good partnership, I can only see this as Grabbans role, unless either gets injured.I feel a bit sorry for Lafferty. He''s been played out of position for us, and clearly thrives in a strikers role for N Ireland, whilst never having been given that chance here. [/quote]No he isn''t being played out of position, played most of his club career in the position he plays for us. Yes he plays up top for N Ireland and has done well, but Martin plays CB for Scotland and has been equally impressive yet all we ever hear on here is that he is being played out of position as well.Wish people would make up their minds!!!

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="Samwam27"]Grabban is a good backup striker, and with his pace, should be extremely effective coming off the bench later in games. With Jerome and Hoops starting to form a good partnership, I can only see this as Grabbans role, unless either gets injured.I feel a bit sorry for Lafferty. He''s been played out of position for us, and clearly thrives in a strikers role for N Ireland, whilst never having been given that chance here. [/quote]No he isn''t being played out of position, played most of his club career in the position he plays for us. Yes he plays up top for N Ireland and has done well, but Martin plays CB for Scotland and has been equally impressive yet all we ever hear on here is that he is being played out of position as well.Wish people would make up their minds!!![/quote]

Looking at Palermo''s you tube footage of Lafferty, he is plainly a striker who can play anywhere up front, its just that he got the role on the left at Rangers and it worked for them.   So I would imagine he would probably prefer to be up front, but would also be happy just to be in the team, even if it means playing on the left.  A good versatile player and one that with the right encouragement and a bit of luck in front of goal could make himself one of the first names on the team sheet - in either position.

I''m sure he''d prefer to play up front but when we have a strike force of Hooper, Jerome and Grabban then he really doesn''t stand to much of a chance

None of our strikers were really suited to the long ball game we''ve played this season and until we get the midfield sorted we''ll probably remain inconsistent up front.