Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jenkins

The Forgotten Striker

"Luciano Becchio could be the answer to Rotherham''s goalscoring problems, boss Steve Evans says.

The on-loan Norwich striker has returned to full training with his parent club after being sidelined for two months with a fractured heel he suffered while playing in a practice game for the Millers.

In his absence, Evans'' men have struggled for goals and Saturday''s blank in their stalemate with Nottingham Forest means they have found the net just once in the last seven games.

With the 30-year-old Argentinian contracted to the Millers until early January, he could be back in a red and white shirt over the Christmas period - providing Evans is satisfied with his fitness.

"I''ll make the decision," said Evans. "He''s contracted here until, I think, the first or second week in January.

"If Luciano, who I have been speaking to regularly, is fit to contribute then he''ll be coming back."

Steve Evans

"We''ll make the decision, but I obviously have to take the guidance and the expertise of the medical staff at Norwich City into account, and it would only be right then that my medical team would guide me through it.

"If Luciano, who I have been speaking to regularly, is fit to contribute then he''ll be coming back.

"We''d love to see him back.

"But it doesn''t mean he''s the only striker Rotherham United have their eyes on at the minute."

The Millers are the joint lowest scorers in the division with just 16 goals, though creating opportunities has not been a problem as indicated by their 16 shots on Forest''s goal on Saturday.

Evans could have a ready-made solution in Becchio, but he knows that someone to put the ball in the net does not come cheaply.

"We''d all love a goalscorer but in this league they come at a real premium," Evans added.

"If you want to pay £20,000 or £25,000 a week then you''ll get a goalscorer. We''re not that club so we''re going to have to go and find one that we believe can do it." "

Good luck to him, hope he is now fit again.

You''re right.  I had forgotten all about him.  Hope he finds fitness and form too.  Unlikely to feature for us again though. Maybe if he starts and scores a few goals, he''ll command a reasonable fee, but then his age is against him. Maybe he''ll go back to Leeds.....

I''m sensing he''s been speaking to Luciano regularly, and that if he is fit to contribute he''ll be coming back.

;-)

Best striker we ever signed, we would still be in the Prem if Hughton had played him instead of wasting time on RvW or Hooper. But then Hughton would still be in charge. Good riddance Becchio, and stay away.

[quote user="Philboyd Studge"]Best striker we ever signed, we would still be in the Prem if Hughton had played him instead of wasting time on RvW or Hooper. But then Hughton would still be in charge. Good riddance Becchio, and stay away.[/quote]

You old softy....