Sign in to follow this  
militantcanary

Transfer window

This is a very tough one to predict I assume that we will be shifting out a no of overly large squad but incomings are harder.

Lets start with those who are fairly obviously going;

Bennett - Brighton 800k?

Bassong - Watford 2M?

Bunn - Blackburn/Hearts?? - 450K

Plus Garrido out of contract - to Spain 350K

Then the ones who we would like to keep but may be off anyway

Redmond - Liverpool/Southampton? -8.5 M?

Hooper -QPR/Palace? -5.75M?

Ruddy -Everton -5.5M?

If we were to do that business out and i can see maybe 4 of the above going then we will have a fair bit of money to spend. Beyond Wilson from Man U on loan I am struggling to think of anyone who could be available. Any ideas?

If we are in the top 6 I can''t see us selling any of those bottom 3- hold on to them until the summer and if we don''t go up then they will be off.

Would not be shocked to see any of the others you mention leave though. Also maybe Miquel will go out on loan?

Coming in I think a right back and a left winger are priorities.

I dont want any sales from the regular first team squad - for example, would rather let garrido go for free in the summer than take 350k now as we will need lb cover. This is a squad game and we need that depth and quality of cover.

Sales - If Ruddy, Howson, Redmond or any of the three striker leave then i will more disappointed about what it says about our real push for promotion in a year of no outstanding team and us having everything stacked in our favour.

Happy to see Elliott, Bunn and Bassong sold, and would not be unhappy with BJ or Whittaker being sold (as long as they are replaced).

Where can we be better? Right back (whit/martin) is good enough for this league but is a weak spot that needs strengthening, However the stand out area is left midfield - lafferty is good but we need another option. A signing of intent there is what we need.

we have a good squad and it is already difficult to keep everyone happy. I would see a few fringe players being sold, non of the big names. though, we need to mount a good second half of the season push. Top signing for me would be a right back as Whittaker has and continues to be a liability

players leave it will because they have been offered more money elsewhere - and they have a clause that allows them to move ................ that is how we will be signing players from other clubs.It is NOT a measure of the club''s ''hambition'', merely how football works.Figures quoted are meaningless, as the only certainty we can have is that the figures bandied about in the media are inaccurate and and are no more than the guesswork of some pimply fred in the sports dept.The club has stated that there will be money to strengthen the squad in January. Whether the focus will be on ''short term'' acquisitions to push us over the line - or long term ''investments'' as were Hhowson and Bennett when we were last in the Championship, we shall have to wait and see.What is known is that outside of the PL transfers can be carried out until late March - albeit they are refered to as loans, so I  suspect our league position and injury position will determine what we do in those three months after Xmas.

It was never likely that we''d turn it round after the previous two seasons and suddenly start playing football, especially with a novice in the hotseat. The automatics are highly unlikely so we ought to look to build for next season like Derby and Bournemouth did last season and look to offload a couple if we get offered silly money by a desperate PL side.Sometimes you need to take profits and reinvest in order to move on, so I''d look to sell Ruddy if a large bid was made and give Rudd an opportunity to bed in for next season. We''re short of quality in midfield and ought to be looking at players whose contracts are up in the summer. There must be a few players at sides like Wigan who could be going relatively cheaply.This season we should have gone for it in terms of looking to play football but instead we''ve been split between that and playing ugly to get results. Hence we''re already behind where we ought to be in terms of rebuilding. If we had strengthened the midfield in the last window then we might have had a more realistic chance of pushing for the automatics and a better chance of going up through the playoffs.

The automatics are highly unlikely so we ought to look to build for next season like Derby and Bournemouth did last season

absolute twaddle on stilts !In 2101/11 we were 4 points off an automatic place, we are currently 6 points offThere is NO evidence that B''mouth or Derby were looking to rebuild before the season was even at the halfway stage !How on earth can you tell players that there is no need to worry about winning or picking up points because we are not interested in getting promoted ! So fark your win/promotion/playoff bonuses.Or even the fans come to that.I could comment on how fans accuse the board of having no ''hambition'', but in this case it is a matter of having NO grasp on reality

We play to win...week in week outThat''s what the players are paid for and that''s why fans pay for tickets

[quote user="tenpenny"]The automatics are highly unlikely so we ought to look to build for next season like Derby and Bournemouth did last season and look to offload a couple if we get offered silly money by a desperate PL side.

[/quote]We have the same number of points after 21 games as in our promotion year but with a plus 7 better goal difference.We were 8 points adrift of top spot then but only 6 now.39 points after 21 games is the lowest ever leading total after 21 games in Championship history.A little over 80 points will be enough for an auto spot this year.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="tenpenny"]

The automatics are highly unlikely so we ought to look to build for next season like Derby and Bournemouth did last season and look to offload a couple if we get offered silly money by a desperate PL side.

[/quote]

We have the same number of points after 21 games as in our promotion year but with a plus 7 better goal difference.

We were 8 points adrift of top spot then but only 6 now.

39 points after 21 games is the lowest ever leading total after 21 games in Championship history.

A little over 80 points will be enough for an auto spot this year.
[/quote]

Wow, I suspected that this year''s totals were lower than normal, but I didn''t realise they were that bad. I really think this League is up for grabs. It just depends who wants it most and can get a consistent run together. I fully expect the teams above us to drop points at regular intervals. We just need to keep this momentum now

the only player premiership clubs will be aware of is Redmond. I can see him getting snapped up sadly.

The others mentioned are good but I dont see prem clubs thinking they will improve their squads.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="tenpenny"]The automatics are highly unlikely so we ought to look to build for next season like Derby and Bournemouth did last season and look to offload a couple if we get offered silly money by a desperate PL side.[/quote]We have the same number of points after 21 games as in our promotion year but with a plus 7 better goal difference.We were 8 points adrift of top spot then but only 6 now.39 points after 21 games is the lowest ever leading total after 21 games in Championship history.A little over 80 points will be enough for an auto spot this year.[/quote]There are lots of differences between our last Championship season. Back then we had a manager with experience and a team playing well with a winning mentality that had won League One the previous season. This season we had a rookie take over a relagated team playing badly with a losing mentality. In 2010-11 we built up and got better without having the terrible wobble that Adams has experienced.The top end of the league looks set to continue the trend whereby there''s more competition for playoff places than was the case in 2010-11. Although a slightly arbitrary measure, look at the number of teams within 7 points of 6th place from back then until last season - 2, 2, 7, 5. Things currently look set to be very close as with the past two seasons. Any slip-ups or bad runs and we could have our work cut out finishing in the playoff places due to the increased competition.There are perhaps four teams who lie ahead of us: Derby, Bournemouth, Watford and Middlesborough. In 2010-11 we had three: Cardiff, QPR and Swansea and did unbelievably well to finish above the two Welsh sides, especially Swansea who were a superior footballing outfit. This season we''re up against two or three better footballing sides who''ve had time to build and I just don''t think we have enough quality to overhaul them.Today''s similarlity in the raw stats with 2010-11 might not be indicative of where we''ll finish as things are much changed from back then. The quality of the football, the mentality of the team and the competition from the teams around us look indicative of us missing out on the automatic spots imho.

The most important difference being that last time we were "upwardly mobile" and this time we are "downwardly mobile" and trying to apply the brakes and reverse it.Not easy.

[quote user="City1st"]The automatics are highly unlikely so we ought to look to build for next season like Derby and Bournemouth did last season

absolute twaddle on stilts !In 2101/11 we were 4 points off an automatic place, we are currently 6 points offThere is NO evidence that B''mouth or Derby were looking to rebuild before the season was even at the halfway stage !How on earth can you tell players that there is no need to worry about winning or picking up points because we are not interested in getting promoted ! So fark your win/promotion/playoff bonuses.Or even the fans come to that.I could comment on how fans accuse the board of having no ''hambition'', but in this case it is a matter of having NO grasp on reality

We play to win...week in week outThat''s what the players are paid for and that''s why fans pay for tickets[/quote]What''s more likely?a) Not finishing in the top two.b) Finishing top with 100 points and 100 goals.

from what i heard the bassong deal is no more than 500,000 and is already done

selling either ruddy, redmond or hooper is basically suicide

we need a genuinely left footed pacey winger, not a right footed play that likes to play left, not a right winger we force to play left, a left footed, left winger whos quick and can cross the ball

someone like sako or mclean

[quote user="tenpenny"][quote user="City1st"]The automatics are highly unlikely so we ought to look to build for next season like Derby and Bournemouth did last season

We play to win...week in week outThat''s what the players are paid for and that''s why fans pay for tickets[/quote]What''s more likely?a) Not finishing in the top two.b) Finishing top with 100 points and 100 goals.[/quote]

both far more likely than you giving us some evidence of your nonsensical claim about B''mouth and Derbyand almost certs in comparison to you telling us what name you previously posted under

Can I just thank the OP for some of the most complete boll0cks I''ve seen today

Bassong will go, Bunn I imagine too; neither will be a loss given they''re never likely to bother the first team again anyhow.

Cant see us selling Garrido, the 250-300k we''d get for him is peanuts in this day and age, we''d need cover there so it would cost us more to replace him, any replacement would likely be no better assuming we can even find a LB who''s willing to come just to sit on the bench since Olsson is clearly first choice.

Redmond is great but isn''t a player who will instantly revive the fortunes of a struggling PL club, so I doubt anyone will pay January prices for him - more likely he''ll go in the summer if we don''t go up. Same for Hooper.

Ruddy potentially the only 1st team player I can see going - Liverpool are not happy with Mignolet; Leicester lost Schmeichel to injury for the next couple of months; Krul has injury problems at Newcastle; Howard surely only has a season or so left at Everton... Really hope he stays but I think he''s the only realistic worry.

I''d like to see Whittaker go, I don''t rate him at all, just not good enough for the Championshp. Realistically we need a good, experienced RB in, especially as Martin seems to pick and choose his own position instead of being told to play at RB where he belongs. Other than that and maybe some investment on the left if the right player comes up, I dont think we''re too desperate this season. We have a good squad, just need to get them playing well together which might finally be starting to happen on the basis of the last couple of weeks.

Irrespective of who goes out I think we desperately need a right back as Whittaker isn''t good enough in my opinion and  R Martin seems preffered at centre back. 

There may well be a couple going out, but its a very good squad, and we now have someone in the coaching team who will, I am sure, help get the best out of it. So, for me, unless we bring in a stonking big shock signing, then we should go with what we have....it is good enough but needs managing correctly for the rest of the season.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]There may well be a couple going out, but its a very good squad, and we now have someone in the coaching team who will, I am sure, help get the best out of it. So, for me, unless we bring in a stonking big shock signing, then we should go with what we have....it is good enough but needs managing correctly for the rest of the season.[/quote]I doubt very much there will be anything resembling stonking.January is not a good time to do business and get value for money.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]we have a good squad and it is already difficult to keep everyone happy. I would see a few fringe players being sold, non of the big names. though, we need to mount a good second half of the season push. Top signing for me would be a right back as Whittaker has and continues to be a liability[/quote]

He is so bad he makes dear old Andy Hughes looks like an international player.

I guess it shows just how bad things are with Scottish football for Whittaker to play for them.

Weakest link in our team by a mile.

]from what i heard the bassong deal is no more than 500,000 and is already done

selling either ruddy, redmond or hooper is basically suicide

we need a genuinely left footed pacey winger, not a right footed play that likes to play left, not a right winger we force to play left, a left footed, left winger whos quick and can cross the ball.

If that is a true figure for Bassong that will be miles under value, I can''t see how selling Ruddy for circa 8M would be suicide, we have a keeper in Rudd who be fine at this level and it would ensure we don''t have to sell anyone else for 2 or 3 windows if the worst was to happen and we don''t go up.

What side is Scott Sinclair?

first thing Adams should do is cancel Hooivelds loan as we''ve got cuellar, turner, bennet, martin and miquel can''t even make the bench (if he really cost 1.5 mill that''s not great business). Seems like we''re over stocked in central positions but short on wide options. Ofoe still to come back too, hopefully he''s decent. We should get a good right back and a left winger. Loan out mcgrandles, loza and some other young guys.

[quote user="bus"]first thing Adams should do is cancel Hooivelds loan as we''ve got cuellar, turner, bennet, martin and miquel can''t even make the bench (if he really cost 1.5 mill that''s not great business). Seems like we''re over stocked in central positions but short on wide options. Ofoe still to come back too, hopefully he''s decent. We should get a good right back and a left winger. Loan out mcgrandles, loza and some other young guys.[/quote]I was talking to someone last night, on the very subject of loaning out the youngsters.We still have to put a development team out in the league though, and maybe someone could provide further info on this, but couldn''t we actually get relegated from this league? Which would make spending all the money on getting there a bit pointless?

[quote user="bus"]first thing Adams should do is cancel Hooivelds loan as we''ve got cuellar, turner, bennet, martin and miquel can''t even make the bench (if he really cost 1.5 mill that''s not great business). Seems like we''re over stocked in central positions but short on wide options. Ofoe still to come back too, hopefully he''s decent. We should get a good right back and a left winger. Loan out mcgrandles, loza and some other young guys.[/quote]The fact that we brought in too many central defenders is a glaring error which brings into question the role of the football board for allowing this situation to arise. We''re arguably at least two short in midfield and could have done with at least one more to cover for injuries instead of an extra centre back. Indeed another midfielder would have come in handy during our sticky patch when Ofoe was out. Come the end of the season this tactical blunder might cost us a place in the playoffs.