Sign in to follow this  
Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

The lowest scoers in all four divisions are.....

I''m pretty sure much of this is about the right set of circumstances coming together at the right time. It doesn''t devalue achievements but does explain why it''s so hard to replicate them. Lambert arrived here at a time we were at our lowest. But when he came here he already had Wes, Holty and Chris Martin who clicked for him and we stormed out of league One building up the momentum to quickly take us halfway up the PL. He is unlikely to walk into those circumstances again. However if he does he will take full advantage. Of course there''s no guarantee another manager could have come here in 2009 and got the same results. In fact I doubt they could. Lambert and Culverhouse were as much a part of those circumstances as Holt, Wes and Super Chris.

Yes well done to us, we''re so much better than they are...in the championship outside the top six with Adams in charge. I don''t mean to be negative but we really can''t gloat when we''re also as bad as we have been recently. However, I do wonder if Lambert regrets leaving us due to the sh1t he''s had to put up with at villa, I know he didn''t like Mcnally but here he would''ve kept his coaching staff and been given a bigger budget than at villa.

I think the average time a premier league manager stays at a club is a little over 1 year. It''s probably the same or even less for the champs. So it looks like Lambert is on borrowed time at Villa although it is heartening to see them giving him time to try and rebuild. he wouldn''t have got that undet their previous chairman!! Maybe, after seeing Allardyce and Pardew turn things around at West Ham and Newcastle other clubs will start being a little more patient..

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think the average time a premier league manager stays at a club is a little over 1 year. It''s probably the same or even less for the champs. So it looks like Lambert is on borrowed time at Villa although it is heartening to see them giving him time to try and rebuild. he wouldn''t have got that undet their previous chairman!! Maybe, after seeing Allardyce and Pardew turn things around at West Ham and Newcastle other clubs will start being a little more patient..

[/quote]

Hint...hint!

What is this average based on? Ferguson alone averaged a little over a year if divided among all 20 clubs in the Prem.

What utter nonsense of a made-up an hope nobody thinks about it statistic.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Hint...hint![/quote]

Which manager could we have done it with though?   If you are going to hang on to a manager during a really bad spell as MU did with SAF, West Ham and Newcastle have done with their managers, who should we have done it with?    Lambert left as far as we know through his own accord.  So who?   Worthington?  Gunn?  Roeder?????   Its easy to say hang on to a manager, but it takes a very strong board to do it.  Worthington proved successful once, so did he deserve to be kept on to see if he could turn it round?  Hughton was successful in his first season - should he have been kept on?  In both cases fan power seemed to be the turning point, but at WH and Newcastle, the boards stood firm despite the huge noise from fans.  And both clubs are now thriving again under the same managers.   

I have been hoping for years that we could stick to one regime, one manager or a heirachy where managers came from within the club - but it would entail the board being strong enough to see through the very bad spells. In Gunn''s case, it was freaky beyond measure what happened, the very next game we won 4-0 with Holt scoring a couple (I know it was a cup game) so maybe, just maybe  he could have worked away from that terrible start we had that year. 

The difference now is that the club is solvent and in many ways thriving - so maybe this manager will be the one given the time (which is what YC is hinting at) and he has already seen off the first big setback of his management career and has a coach in place many clubs would give their right arms for.   But how long will it realistically last?  Is the club strong enough to resist fans when they really turn? Not on past evidence - but maybe they should be strong enough. Its worked for WH and Newcastle.  It definitely worked with SAF - even Wenger is still there despite years of  lack of honours in such a huge club.  I called for Adams to go - but will be delighted if he turns it round - but if  we are in this brave new world of managers being kept on through difficulties, then the board really do have to stick to their guns despite what fans want, even if it turns Worthington/Gunn/Hughton style nasty.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]What is this average based on? Ferguson alone averaged a little over a year if divided among all 20 clubs in the Prem.

What utter nonsense of a made-up an hope nobody thinks about it statistic.[/quote]

Here''s another one. Neil Adams is now the ninth longest serving manager in the Championship. The longest serving is Eddie Howe who''s been at Bournemouth since October 2012.

These statistics can be taken any way you want. In fact it could be argued that our club are too patient with their choices. If I remember rightly the last poll of supporters showed 84% wanted Adams out. But the polls have gone since we won a couple. I suspect a poll now would show a different result and then would becme the hokey-cokey after each win or loss. I think being patient with Adams is the right decision. The increasing short termism shown by clubs really isn''t sustainable. We have the chance to be a model to follow by building something that''s sustainable in the long term. I hope the patience is rewarded.