Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jenkins

U21 v Liverpool

Tenpennt "In my opinion producing a young generation of generic kick and rurush merchants isn''t really a productive use of our academy"

I would have to agree with that, if in fact it was the case, fortunately it isn''t.

[quote user="Jenkins"]Tenpennt "In my opinion producing a young generation of generic kick and rurush merchants isn''t really a productive use of our academy"

I would have to agree with that, if in fact it was the case, fortunately it isn''t.[/quote]It didn''t look pretty once Liverpool got on top, but it was never going to be. I think that there was quite a few of the lads who probably aren''t too far away from the first team, Hall Johnson, McGeehan and Norman in particular, and obviously Loza, who has previously been involved.If you add to that the Murphys and also Carlton Morris, then this is clearly the best crop of youngsters we have ever had.

This group of players show are academy is heading in the right direction after some pretty barren years. I would still say they are a long way off being the best crop we ever had though. If they prove to be the best thought we will be in for some exciting years ahead.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

This group of players show are academy is heading in the right direction after some pretty barren years. I would still say they are a long way off being the best crop we ever had though. If they prove to be the best thought we will be in for some exciting years ahead.

[/quote]Your Norwich City knowledge obviously stretches far further back than mine does, but certainly in my time ( a mere 22 years) I can''t remember more than one or two trickling through at a time. But who knows, only time will tell.Like you say, it really shows that the academy is finally bearing fruit.

morty wrote the following post at 18/12/2014 10:06 AM:

Jenkins wrote:

Tenpennt "In my opinion producing a young generation of generic kick and rurush merchants isn''t really a productive use of our academy" I would have to agree with that, if in fact it was the case, fortunately it isn''t.

It didn''t look pretty once Liverpool got on top, but it was never going to be. I think that there was quite a few of the lads who probably aren''t too far away from the first team, Hall Johnson, McGeehan and Norman in particular, and obviously Loza, who has previously been involved.

If you add to that the Murphys and also Carlton Morris, then this is clearly the best crop of youngsters we have ever had.

There are a lot of very good young players coming through, the Loza goal looked pretty special on the utube clip. I saw a post by someone when we won the FA youth cup which looked historically at teams that had won that cup and how many players from those teams had gone on to make it at the highest level. The conclusion was very few, IMO In the Murpheys, Morris and Loza we have 4 players who all could go a long way, that''s a pretty good return for the Academy.

The goal we conceded was terrible. The goal scorer was unmarked throughout. We''ve been so poor at set pieces for a while now, attacking and defending.

[quote user="Jenkins"]morty wrote the following post at 18/12/2014 10:06 AM:

Jenkins wrote:

Tenpennt "In my opinion producing a young generation of generic kick and rurush merchants isn''t really a productive use of our academy" I would have to agree with that, if in fact it was the case, fortunately it isn''t.

It didn''t look pretty once Liverpool got on top, but it was never going to be. I think that there was quite a few of the lads who probably aren''t too far away from the first team, Hall Johnson, McGeehan and Norman in particular, and obviously Loza, who has previously been involved.

If you add to that the Murphys and also Carlton Morris, then this is clearly the best crop of youngsters we have ever had.

There are a lot of very good young players coming through, the Loza goal looked pretty special on the utube clip. I saw a post by someone when we won the FA youth cup which looked historically at teams that had won that cup and how many players from those teams had gone on to make it at the highest level. The conclusion was very few, IMO In the Murpheys, Morris and Loza we have 4 players who all could go a long way, that''s a pretty good return for the Academy.[/quote]When we won the Youth Cup in 1982-83, out of the 16-player squad, only Donowa, Spearing and Goss went on to have anything like decent careers in the top two divisions, and not one of those was a stellar performer.

There is far more work done with the youth playes now. Back then it was almost a case of ''if you are not ready for the first team by such and such a date'' then best move on .. and that was it.We have seen a number of players out on loan, far more than previous and this looks to be a big part of the structure of their development than when it was simply a matter of toughening them up.It is no coincidence that we have more players looking to show the necessary promise, when the club has the best coaching set up it ever has had. There are many more in the pipeline and I suspect the huge investment is only now begining to bear fruit.