Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jenkins

U21 v Liverpool

6600 tickets "sold" already.Making it the second highest attended Premiership under 21 game, behind our own record.

[quote user="The Voice Of Reason"]lots will be going like our group, tuning up on the night so as not to pay the £1.50 booking fee on our ''FREE'' tickets[/quote]You sure about that? I got two of my tickets at the ticket office, no booking fee. Then needed another one so rang up to get it, no booking fee mentioned.

[quote user="Number 9"]The mate who is sorting tickets looked online & booking fee was there.[/quote]Oh right, that seems a bit daft then. I assumed the booking fee was to cover card charges, and posting tickets out.They are only opening up a block at a time, so if there is a fair few of you you may struggle to get seats together on the night.Might be worth a phonecall to book and pick them up on the night. I seem to remember last time there was pretty big queues of people paying on the night (including me) and some missed the start of the game.

[quote user="The Voice Of Reason"]same here, no drama''s, usually buy online so i can choose a seat[/quote]yo, lay that hip jive on me, Daddio

Don''t get home from work until just before 5. No chance of making it without breaking a few speeding laws. Following it on various sites. Shame we haven''t done a youtube like Soton.

Really enjoyed that.

Hall johnston, mcgeehan and Norman really caught the eye.

Loza''s goal was outstanding.

Miquel and Bennett did okay. Garrido looked rusty. Mcgrandals didn''t particularly stand out.

He played 90 minutes, so I would say he isn''t far off. He didn''t have much to do for the first 45 minutes.

Bennett looking head and shoulders the best defender on the field, still lacking a bit of maturity with kicking the ball away and niggly fouls though, solid throughout and hopefully not far off a full return.

McGrandles was quiet, clearly has promise and a footballing brain but no where near the finished article yet. Lozas goal was a great run and finish and Murphy looked decent up top as a lone striker in the Fiat half holding the ball up well.

All in all a good evenings entertainment . Good to see Bunn back. Miquel looked okay but Bennett looked miles ahead of him in quality.

Mcgrandle did a few eyecatching runs / passes, invisible for much of the game.

R Bennett was best player on pitch, hurt his left ankle / foot in second half but played on.

Loza took his goal well, had no right to score from there, with three defenders & no support.

Cam king had fairly quiet game by his usually high standards.cam mcgeehan was good & reece hall Johnson? Was very good

Must have watched a different game to the rest on here

For 70 mins we had no width whatsoever with the experiment of playing Murphy as a loan striker a flop, the game only changed when Loza came on up front

The 2nd half was worse than the 1st, we probably managed to get out of our half only 3 or 4 times, Loza coming on and Murphy firstly playing in central midfield and then moving wide (he did very little)in the 2nd half

Loza scored a fantastic goal with his only shot completely against the run of play

Our senior back 3 supported by Bunn basically out-muscled a young Liverpool team that looked far more inventive than Norwich

Liverpool pressure eventually earned them a goal when we failed to clear a corner

What did we learn from the match :-

Liverpool were far more inventive than we were, they had far more pace throughout the team than we had and they were also much more comfortable on the ball

The quality of corner taking is just as poor in the U21''s than the seniors, the few we had failed to clear the 1st defender

If McGradles is worth £1M - I would value the Liverpool team at £100M - he would not have got in it

Both Liverpool wide players were better than Murphy who appears to have one attribute - pace, the problem was the players marking him were also quick

Surely we did not pay £1.5M for San Miquel probably worth 10% of that = a good hoofer

Garrido looked steady

Bennett looked assured

Bunn clear man of the match would make an ideal replacement for Ruddy when we sell him for £10M in Jan

Superb shot stopper - no need to look elsewhere

The U21 coach needs to leave in the same job lot as Adams - no width, poor corners, no pace & even less tactics

Got my ticket for Saturday, I just hope Adams selects an 11 than can get a result & not his mates. We cant role over & die on live TV

26 replies so far, and our friend Newton is the only totally negative one. Well done Newt, agenda achieved. And we won''t "role" over. We won''t even roll over on Saturday.

Newton, please be aware this is an u21 development squad. A large chunk of our best players from that squad are either or have been out on loan. The squad also contains 4 1st team players coming back to fitness. Liverpool''s squad contained only youth players as far as I could see and therefore you''d expect them to play better as a team because they''ve played together more regularly.

Our team was clearly set up to counter and vwe did that very well with Loza making the most of a chance to run at the defence. Murphy could have done more but it was a good run out for him up top in the first half, he got marked out of the game most of the time though but dealing with that will come with experience.

The good news is aside of the poorly defended corner our 4 first teamers looked head and shoulders above the rest as indeed they should.

I have to agree about Miquel though, looked OK at best without any real quality in distribution but he is still young and is good enough for backup which is why he was signed. As for McGrandles I''m yet to see him match his price tag but he is still very young. A future investment that one but has a lot of work to do, as with the Murphys the promise is there but he''ll need time.

I thought the team looked desperately poor, unable to do the basics such as keeping possession or constructing basic passing manoeuvres. I''m not sure how long the non-senior players have been at the club but I''d imagine most have been here for quite a while and hence become used to the low quality style that unfortunately now pervades the club. Last night showcased a side which lacked technique, lacked the ability to play as a team and all too frequently resorted to long balls when in any kind of tight corner.There wasn''t any evidence of there being a footballing ethos like you''d find running through all levels of a club like Ajax, so it appears that the young players aren''t being taught basic technical skills at a young age. In my opinion producing a young generation of generic kick and rush merchants isn''t really a productive use of our academy.