Sign in to follow this  
Newton

£10M squad investment yes or no ?

Sell Ruddy for £10M in Jan

Replace with Bunn brill shot stopper (already on books & now fit)

Keep Redmond - invest the £10M in a promotion push - we need quality in midfield - not just stoppers

Yes or No

a Big YES for me

Or keep him, bearing in mind its already been said that we have money to spend in January (should we need to)?Big NO from me.And I doubt we''d get 10 million for him anyway.

Jimmy Smith wrote the following post at 18/12/2014 12:46 PM:

We sell none of the first team in January, simples. This is still our best chance of getting out of the division.

😀

A poor set of Christmas results could force the club to look at strengthening for next season and beyond in the case of some of our older players who will eventually need replacing. If we were in pole position then the situation would be different regarding likely future income and hence future transfer budgets.Not needing to sell and having the parachute payments means we''re in a good bargaining position to take a profit in order to help us rebuild in the long run. January might be a good time to cash in with transfer fees often higher than in the summer because of clubs desperate to stay in the prem.If we took a profit on Ruddy we already possess two capable replacements and would only need to acquire a third choice, possibly someone on loan until the end of the season.

We don''t need to sell Ruddy.  He''s on a long contract and committed to the club. Why would we want to anyway?  We need our best players here.   Selling him would be pointless, damaging to our chances this season, send out a message to other clubs that we are open to selling our better players and would be an indication that we are not serious about going up this season.   Same with Redmond or any of our players. There can''t be any distractions,  just get everybody behind the cause and if possible bring in one or two extras to boost our chances.  

No, not a good idea to sell off the family silver.Why sell him - we don''t need the money, he''s a very good goalie & he''s Norwich through & throughWhy take a gamble on Rudd - he might not be as good as you think he is and he might get serious injury in his first game.Then what?

We''d still have Bunn if Rudd got injured, plus a new third choice. We''d be in the same situation if Ruddy got injured but if we sold him we''d be a few £m in profit and better able to strengthen in future. We could do with a couple of midfielders and show a bit more ambition than would otherwise be the case. At the moment we''re unbalanced and I would think that''s more likely to put players off from staying than if we sold Ruddy.

We don''t need to sell and i''d rather we keep our better players for a promotion push. Bunn is an ok back up keeper,just, and Rudd is still a relatively unknown quantity.

id be disappointed not to get 10 million for ruddy during the summer window, so the inflated january price should be higher

keep ruddy until the end of the season, then sell him if we dont go up

Keep Ruddy, loan Rudd out and have Bunn as backup, sell Becchio, wait for Bassong to come back and see if he''s part of Adams'' plans (none of us know whats gone on, most think he doesn''t want to play for us but no-one really knows), if he''s not then sell him. Buy a Left Midfielder. Then win the league. Jobs a good-un.

We have a decent squad but are weak at right back. would the board have confidence in Adams to spend £10m even if we had it which i doubt. Jerome apart the signings since the end of last season do not look too great, Grabban, Lafferty, Odija, the spanish CB that no one has seen

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]We have a decent squad but are weak at right back. would the board have confidence in Adams to spend £10m even if we had it which i doubt. Jerome apart the signings since the end of last season do not look too great, Grabban, Lafferty, Odija, the spanish CB that no one has seen[/quote]I saw him last night, so can confirm he actually exists[;)]

To be fair though Grabban did really well at the start of the season when Hooper was injured, without him I dread where we''d be now. Although I wish we''d sack him and generally his signings haven''t been that good,personally think Grabban is a good player to have in the squad.

Just to add, if anyone didn''t know, Paddy Davitt does talk some sh*t.

http://www.pinkun.com/opinion/neil_adams_will_be_a_better_operator_for_norwich_city_s_championship_turmoil_1_3890473

I don''t think the board will be in the mood for gambling if we have a poor christmas and lie far below the top two. They''ll try and flog off the unwanted players like Bassong and Becchio and maybe buy one (if the price is right) and get a loan in. Fail to go up and we could see top players start to leave for less than we want to sell them for, plus have a bigger rebuild in the summer.We go into the window desperately needing a midfielder (ideally two), having paid the price for failing to strengthen in the summer. I think we were caught off guard a bit by Surman leaving given that Pilks was probably expected to depart. We were hamstrung to an extent by Bassong not leaving.Selling a big name if we get offered silly money might give us a bit more headroom to get out of the hole we''re in and provide a headstart in the (likely) event that we fail to go up. It could also show the rest of the team that we mean business promotion or not. We might not need to sell, but it could be a useful option if it allows us to inject life into a poor midfield.

[quote user="tenpenny"]Selling a big name if we get offered silly money might give us a bit more headroom to get out of the hole we''re in....[/quote]If we''re in a hole and debt free, how big is the £86m hole your lot are in?

[quote user="Newton"]

Keep Redmond - invest the £10M in a promotion push - we need quality in midfield - not just stoppers

Yes or No

a Big YES for me

[/quote]

yes, sheer genius on your partwe could sell Ruddy on Jan 1st, bank the money and only buy the new players on Jan 31st so we get all that interest and save a month''s wages on the new playersthen make sure they are all on a season''s contract only,  so we don''t get stuck with expensive contracts for another 3 or 4 years if we don''t get promotedwe also need proper ''stoppers'' as well, not idiots like Johnson who is never in his right position, getting in the way of forwards like he did last Saturday, Howson is just as bad, it is not their job to score, nor Tetteys come to thatif you stand for manager, or even CEO I will vote for you

Well done City 1st very negative post

Bottom line is we have 2 x quality keepers in Bunn & Ruddy, we dont need both - realise the most valuable asset now and invest the proceeds . our squad in Jan

If we dont go up this season do u rearly think Ruddy will be here next september - no way. cash in while he is at the top of his valuation

The board will sell either Ruddy or Redmond in Jan I know who I want to keep

Pulling the pee out of what was an exceedingly idiot post is hardly negative.Idiot, as with your follow up, where there are again no facts merely silly presumptions.You cannot simply ''realise the most valuable assets''. Bunn has been injured so I doubt he will be attracting much interest in the type of money you are wittering on about.Why is Ruddy at the top of his valuation now ? If he is going in the summer as you claim then that must mean other clubs would value him, so where then this top of his value in January.You have no proof of the club wanting to sell either Ruddy or Redmond in January. In fact you have no proof of anything bar your complete lack of any grasp on realityWhich you seem determined to keep giving us evidence of.

Although we are technically debt free it was pointed out in the recent meeting we will go into debt to the tune of over 3 miilion at a point this season.

So if any club is willing to splash out 10 million on Ruddy I believe the board & manager would be willing to let him go as we do have solid replacements there already. Rudd in my book is ready to make that step up. At 22 he realky needs to be playing every week.

I don''t think we need to invest that 10 million but keep the players we have.....Redmond being one we really do need to keep.

When fit we have a big enough squad with the quality to get up.

I''m sure that we will see some changes but for me, I''m happy with what we have they just need to step it up and pkay as a team to their potential.

But 10 mill for Ruddy would be good business.

City 1st you clearly have no idea how football and money work, let me try and help

Next summer if we remain in the Champs our income (parachute payments) for 2015/16 will drop by £8M. The board are committed to balance the books - cuts will have to be made. When other clubs know you are looking to sell the price drops.

In Jan some clubs become desperate and historically pay over the odds for players - hence the Liverpool Ruddy rumours. If they do come in for him at around £10M would u stand in his way ?

Get real man & smell the coffee this is business not football

,"how football and money work""this is business not football

"
oh dear ... which one, my simple idiot ?

ps I have not the slightest idea why I should smell some coffeen - I am drinking some now, freshly ground, but how ever much I smell it, it doesn''t alter the fact that you are a complete dimwitdoes sniffing tea help.... perhaps it gives you the same feeling of unreality which you appear to get from sniffing coffee ?

[quote user="Newton"]

Yes or No

a Big YES for me

[/quote]No.1) Why sell the best player in the most important position in the team?2) There is much more to goalkeeping than mere shot-stopping, and in any event Bunn is not that good a shot-stopper. As has been seen, very beatable from long range.3) I doubt you would get £10m for Ruddy.4) If you did, it would only make sense if you then spent £5m on two players or £3m on three. Either way you are likely to be paying over the odds in a seller''s market and increasing your wage bill in what is already a large squad.5) Any gaps in the squad (such as if Phelan feels we lack someone to play a particular tactical system he is pressing on Adams) can be plugged by one purchase or by judicious use of the loan market, with loans out balancing the numbers.

[) Why sell the best player in the most important position in the team?2) There is much more to goalkeeping than mere shot-stopping, and in any event Bunn is not that good a shot-stopper. As has been seen, very beatable from long range.3) I doubt you would get £10m for Ruddy.4) If you did, it would only make sense if you then spent £5m on two players or £3m on three. Either way you are likely to be paying over the odds in a seller''s market and increasing your wage bill in what is already a large squad.5) Any gaps in the squad (such as if Phelan feels we lack someone to play a particular tactical system he is pressing on Adams) can be plugged by one purchase or by judicious use of the loan market, with loans out balancing the numbers.

I agree with both the original thought and Purple''s reply; if we can get anything more than 7M for Ruddy is an absolute no brainer, he has been inconsistent this season and Rudd is a good or very good keeper.

It is a sellers market so I would concentrate on those players who are being off-loaded for a bargain, eg Sinclair?

We cannot make a loss of more than 3M without owners input which takes it to 8M under FFP We are currently looking a sizeable loss without transfer money coming in.

Its a difficult to predict but our wages will be about 30M (last years 54M reduced by 40% with some of the higher earners off the books) plus agents fees etc, cost of the Academy set off against about 35M coming in and a transfer profit of about 3M so far.

i am afraid no Championship team can run a wage bill of 30M for more than one season, and frankly i don''t think we are getting value for money for that output as well.

Such a windfall would be best spent on securing Pulis'' services as his contribution is more likely to secure our promotion than the disposal of players discussed above.

The simple truth is that if a club is determined to get promotion, it does not sell it''s best or most valuable players half way through the season.  It sends out the wrong message to everyone - your team''s players - everyone else''s team players - all supporters - a message that says - NCFC are not serious contenders.  It has to be a positive 100% focus on promotion. Nothing else will do. Selling Ruddy would be foolhardy in the extreme and it would guarantee imo that we would not be getting promotion this season. 

Adams signings have all been poor or worse and i would rather we kept any funds available for when we appoint a proper manager .