Sign in to follow this  
morty

Ginger Pele.

Sad footballing news indeed as the ex Norwich City captain announces his retirement from football, due to injury.

Now you have gone and done it. That is Lappinitup''s  Christmas completely ruined. I had better ring him to make sure he is alright. [:P]

A good career, an ok defender, you could never describe him as a rock in defence - that he was player of the season says a lot for our decline under Worthy, Grant and Roeder.

Great nickname and a real character - but an average championship centre back at best.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Now you have gone and done it. That is Lappinitup''s  Christmas completely ruined. I had better ring him to make sure he is alright. [:P][/quote]Break it to him gently[:(]

He should also be remembered for his part in our climb up from League 1, after being recalled by Lambert he kept his place for the rest of the season.

Fondly remembered for the surreal moment of genius when he appealed for offside against a Charlton player who had received the ball direct from a throw-in.

For me responsible for one of the most surreal terrace chants...Doc.........Doc. Helped us win league 1 and a thoroughly decent chap

[quote user="sonyc"]For me responsible for one of the most surreal terrace chants...Doc.........Doc. Helped us win league 1 and a thoroughly decent chap[/quote]I met him at his player of the season dinner, and can confirm this, really lovely bloke.

He was a neighbour of mine for a while , nice bloke . Often maligned , but he did know how to get rid of a dangerous ball from the penalty area ! Even if it did endanger those ensconced in the upper tiers of the City stand :)

Don''t forget when in our promotion season he went on a bit of a goal scoring " run ".

Good luck to him .

I thought this was going to be about our poster and top PUP Ginger Pele who hasn''t been around for a few weeks now. Hurry up back buddy, your message board needs you!

The Doc was much maligned often quite unfairly. He was one of the most ungainly and awkward looking footballers I''ve seen play for us but he was most certainly a long way from being one of the worst. Despite all the criticism he made well over 200 appearances for us and was regularly picked by 5 different managers.

I''m in shock!!Only a few of us fully recognised what a truly great player he was for us. Deceptively quick, great header of the ball and boy, all those perfect long range passes out of defence. If he was still around, he''d be the first name in the teamsheet even carrying that injury.I still miss him. [:''(] [:''(] [:''(]I think I''m going to start a campaign to have a statue of him erected outside Carrow Rd....

[quote user="lappinitup"]I''m in shock!!Only a few of us fully recognised what a truly great player he was for us. Deceptively quick, great header of the ball and boy, all those perfect long range passes out of defence. If he was still around, he''d be the first name in the teamsheet even carrying that injury.I still miss him. [:''(] [:''(] [:''(]I think I''m going to start a campaign to have a statue of him erected outside Carrow Rd....[/quote]This [:(] [U] [:''(]And the song of course (although don''t we have to give the credit to Spurs for that?).

[quote user="lappinitup"]I''m in shock!!Only a few of us fully recognised what a truly great player he was for us. Deceptively quick, great header of the ball and boy, all those perfect long range passes out of defence. If he was still around, he''d be the first name in the teamsheet even carrying that injury.I still miss him. [:''(] [:''(] [:''(]I think I''m going to start a campaign to have a statue of him erected outside Carrow Rd....[/quote]Oh dear, dear dear.....................are you alright my friend.  Will you have recovered for the festive season, I would hate to think of you under the weather for that.[;)]

Beckhamesque cross-field passing ability, a tough presence in the back four and chipped in with some valuable goals. One of my favourite recent players. Hopelessly exposed by a dreadful central midfield in our Championship relegation season.

Despite the ridiculous urban myth about him being cr*p not helped by Worthy playing him upfront in the Premiership, the Doc had a decent spell with us his good games far outnumbered the bad ones!

Nice one Ginger Pele!

The best rugby player to ever grace the football field. He looked old enough to retire when we signed him but a fine servent for us even with the rugby tackles

[quote user="Festive Canary"].....and the iconic cross field hoof up the pitch[/quote]The Doc''s long searching passes upfield were only seen as a "hoof" by those who couldn''t understand Waveney. It wasn''t his fault that strikers were too slow to get on the end of them. [:)]

[quote user="lappinitup"]I''m in shock!!

Only a few of us fully recognised what a truly great player he was for us. Deceptively quick, great header of the ball and boy, all those perfect long range passes out of defence. If he was still around, he''d be the first name in the teamsheet even carrying that injury.

I still miss him. [:''(] [:''(] [:''(]

I think I''m going to start a campaign to have a statue of him erected outside Carrow Rd....
[/quote]

Fantasists

Ha ! Even you on your crutches would get from the ground to the Nelson quicker than him even in his heyday. [:P]

[quote user="lappinitup"]I''m in shock!!Only a few of us fully recognised what a truly great player he was for us. Deceptively quick, great header of the ball and boy, all those perfect long range passes out of defence. If he was still around, he''d be the first name in the teamsheet even carrying that injury.I still miss him. [:''(] [:''(] [:''(]I think I''m going to start a campaign to have a statue of him erected outside Carrow Rd....[/quote]

true genius is never recognised in it''s own life timeas I am sure you are all too aware, Mr Lapland

[quote user="Philboyd Studge"]Beckhamesque cross-field passing ability, a tough presence in the back four and chipped in with some valuable goals. One of my favourite recent players. Hopelessly exposed by a dreadful central midfield in our Championship relegation season.[/quote][Y]Fond memories of defending him to the hilt on here during the

dark days of Grant/Roeder/Gunn.  Now we just need Jamie Lad to retire

so we can all reminisce about him too...

Wonder if he would come back in a coaching capacity.

I seem to remember a home game against Huddersfield in League 1 when we scored our third goal ( i think) the ball bounced out of the net and the Doc picked up the ball and hoofed it out of his hands over the city stand to give the players more time to celebrate. I''m fairly sure it was him.

A fine exponent of the diagonal long-ball; time and again he''d gain possession right-side of defence and almost telepathically ping the ball to Hucks on the left wing - even when he wasn''t there. However when he was, it looked fantastic!