Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Chris Martin

All this amuses me as I lost count of the number of City fans who would tell me Cody Macdonald was a much better striker than Chris Marttin, that Martin was a lazy*****, and would never be more than a League One player. I disagreed then but got the usual pitying looks. He probably did need to move from Norwich to reach his potential but honestly Cody, Olie Johnson, Simoeon, Morison, Ricky, Kai Kamara or whoever the next messiah was , he''s superior to them.

How funny this post is!

We released Martin in the summer of 2013 following a year where he had been loaned out - at a lowly level and scoring very few by the way.

That same summer, following 2 successful PL seasons, us fans were getting very excited by paying £8.5m for a highly rated European Striker. Now, we all know the direction things turned after that, but whatever the rights and wrongs of the RVW transfer, it''s clear that the intention was to raise the bar in player quality and stature of the club.

It didn''t work out, but if the club had said back in 2013 they were not going to buy that big striker and instead make Chris Martin our main striker, there would have been carnage!!

CM actually only scored 4 goals on our Champ season and was actually outshone by Jackson and Wilbraham. Despite that, Lambert still gave him a chance in some early PL games. He didn''t take it.

Things move on in football. He served us well and his departure came at a sensible time for both club and player. Deal with it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

[quote user="flecky76"]How funny this post is!

We released Martin in the summer of 2013 following a year where he had been loaned out - at a lowly level and scoring very few by the way.

That same summer, following 2 successful PL seasons, us fans were getting very excited by paying £8.5m for a highly rated European Striker. Now, we all know the direction things turned after that, but whatever the rights and wrongs of the RVW transfer, it''s clear that the intention was to raise the bar in player quality and stature of the club.

It didn''t work out, but if the club had said back in 2013 they were not going to buy that big striker and instead make Chris Martin our main striker, there would have been carnage!!

CM actually only scored 4 goals on our Champ season and was actually outshone by Jackson and Wilbraham. Despite that, Lambert still gave him a chance in some early PL games. He didn''t take it.

Things move on in football. He served us well and his departure came at a sensible time for both club and player. Deal with it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.[/quote]
Good stuff. I am willing to stick my neck out and say I honestly dont think he would be up to much in the Premiership.

Sometimes a player needs a change of scenery. It is amazing how different a player he is now, not just in terms of quality. We seemed to see him as someone who could sit off the striker and pick out passes while Derby have turned him into a hold up player who leads the line on his own. Would that development have happened if he stayed with us? I doubt it.

[quote user="ridgeman"]Didn''t realise Chris Martin was up against his brother Russell yesterday. It must be true it is in todays People what rubbish we pay to read.[/quote]Don''t forget their trigger-happy Dad Tony who lives on the Moon in that crashed WW2 bomber......

[quote user="flecky76"]King Canary - great point, I agree with you. Maybe he was learning off Holty?

Ridgman - that''s hilarious!![/quote]Always thought he had the physical presence and ball control to do what Holt did when he was at Carrow Road, just thought he looked like he had a bit of a bit of big head (metaphorically). Never seemed willing to scrap and get in where it hurt.Being sold off by Norwich and moving a distance from where he grew up probably did a lot to make him tidy up his act, focus on his game and become a better player. However I would question whether coming back to Carrow Road at this point wouldn''t perhaps result in regression. I''d happily stick with Grabban, Hooper and Jerome for now personally.