Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

The ever returning personal mistakes

Yes, I know, no team is immune to personal mistake, whatever tactics used.

But I got a feeling Norwich have had a lot more personal failings and direct point-losing mistakes than other teams in this division.

Subjective, non-confirmed view, ofcourse, but it would have been interesting to see some stats on this.

How many points have NCFC lost this season due to silly avoidable mistakes?

Like the recent Cuellar penalty, the not-so-recent soft long distance goals let in by Ruddy, the corner flappings, the all-too-often penalties conceded by slow defenders, etc.

Anyone got some stats?

[quote user="grefstad"]Yes, I know, no team is immune to personal mistake, whatever tactics used.

But I got a feeling Norwich have had a lot more personal failings and direct point-losing mistakes than other teams in this division.

Subjective, non-confirmed view, ofcourse, but it would have been interesting to see some stats on this.

Like the recent Cuellar penalty, the not-so-recent soft long distance goals let in by Ruddy, the corner flappings, the all-too-often penalties conceded by slow defenders, etc.

Anyone got some stats
?[/quote]

Yes, your posts are 100% miserable.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="grefstad"]Yes, I know, no team is immune to personal mistake, whatever tactics used.

Anyone got some stats
?[/quote]

Yes, your posts are 100% miserable.

[/quote]

Says the user by some known as "a lot of squit". Oh, the irony

[quote user="grefstad"]Yes, I know, no team is immune to personal mistake, whatever tactics used.

Anyone got some stats?[/quote]given that a mistake is subjective then any ''stats'' are meaninglessthough you could try www.saddo.co.ukwhere I was surpised to learn that our best centre back this season is Bassong who has conceded fewest goals, ran at an average speed of 7.32 miles per hour (when running that is), and made the 5th lowest number back passes in a game (sure saves watching the game and making your own mind up based on what you have seen)

Football isn''t like Tennis- you can''t really measure ''unforced errors.'' A prime example is the game last week. That will go down in the history books as a mistake by the player who got sent off but it was all the fault of his centre back partner.

I think watching a team for 90 minutes week in week out makes us think we do this stuff more often than others.

what was our first goal yesterdaya mistake by Derby in bad markingor a skillful pass by Howson to set up Jerome ?

sadly football seems to have drawn in a fair number of numpties who as well as seemingly being unable to grasp what the game is all about, appear to believe that ''numbers'' can put some meaning to itI don''t doubt they will be dribbling away as they put down Martin''s ''assist'' for our second goal - a stat that will later be used to qualify how good a player he is !

There is no doubt we have massively shot ourselves in the foot this season. We are a far better side than more or less everyone in this league but when there are liabilities in the defence like Cuellar, Whittaker and Hooiveld, we''ve got no chance. We could have Messi and Ronaldo and we''d still lose 5-4.

Particularly more galling is seeing the likes of Elliott Ward, Zak Whitbread and Daniel Ayala lauding it over us at their respective clubs.

Obviously I am thinking of the errors that are "measurable", i.e not open to subjective opinions.

Penalty kicks against, glaring misses on scoring chances is another. Goalkeeping errors is a third.

I saw some stats on Grabban being the player in the league with most misses on scoring chances.

I dont know what the definition of a scoring chance is, but I guess the stats will be virtually based on the same criteria for every player, and as such has got some meaning.

Sadly I can not find the website with these stats.

As for goalkeeping errors, it is ofcourse not easy to brand some of Ruddy´s long range concedes as "goalkeeping error", but you get my point.

GJP wrote the following post at 21/12/2014 6:22 PM:

Martin is as much of a liability as the others.

----------------

I don''t think thats really true when playing at RB, he seems a bit flat footed (derby 1st goal) when playing at CB and he could work on his positioning, but generally I think he''s been pretty solid. You know what you get with Russell, with Whittaker you know he''s going to be terrible defensively and you know he''s going to try and get forward leaving yards of space behind him, in this system where we have 4 CM''s on the pitch to cover for him, perhaps it doesn''t work to badly.

Olsson has been playing well recently after having a poor season so far. Cuellar seems just as unpredictable as Turner, has one good gem, then has a game where he''s a fault for the goals. One things for certain though, Bennett is coming back which means Martin can be placed back at RB, praise the lord. Shame really as Whits grabbed us the winning goal, but he really is bang average

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]There is no doubt we have massively shot ourselves in the foot this season. We are a far better side than more or less everyone in this league but when there are liabilities in the defence like Cuellar, Whittaker and Hooiveld, we''ve got no chance. We could have Messi and Ronaldo and we''d still lose 5-4.

Particularly more galling is seeing the likes of Elliott Ward, Zak Whitbread and Daniel Ayala lauding it over us at their respective clubs.[/quote]How can you say you''re a far better side than everyone?! It''s Christmas and you''re not even in the top 6. Why do you think you have a divine right to be there? I''ve no doubt you''ll be in the shake-up at the end of the season but come on, the league doesn''t lie (at least that''s what you used to always tell us ITFC fans).

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]There is no doubt we have massively shot ourselves in the foot this season. We are a far better side than more or less everyone in this league but when there are liabilities in the defence like Cuellar, Whittaker and Hooiveld, we''ve got no chance. We could have Messi and Ronaldo and we''d still lose 5-4.

Particularly more galling is seeing the likes of Elliott Ward, Zak Whitbread and Daniel Ayala lauding it over us at their respective clubs.[/quote]How can you say you''re a far better side than everyone?! It''s Christmas and you''re not even in the top 6. Why do you think you have a divine right to be there? I''ve no doubt you''ll be in the shake-up at the end of the season but come on, the league doesn''t lie (at least that''s what you used to always tell us ITFC fans).[/quote]

I don''t think we have a divine right to be there at all. I do think that both in midfield and going forward, we have proven quality and that sort of quality should be complimented by the defence which it is not. If it was, we''d be in the top two by now.

I fully expect to see Brentford pick up 3 points on Boxing Day, very hard place to go, and Millwall to drop 3 later in the day.

Long way to go yet!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]There is no doubt we have massively shot ourselves in the foot this season. We are a far better side than more or less everyone in this league but when there are liabilities in the defence like Cuellar, Whittaker and Hooiveld, we''ve got no chance. We could have Messi and Ronaldo and we''d still lose 5-4.

Particularly more galling is seeing the likes of Elliott Ward, Zak Whitbread and Daniel Ayala lauding it over us at their respective clubs.[/quote]How can you say you''re a far better side than everyone?! It''s Christmas and you''re not even in the top 6. Why do you think you have a divine right to be there? I''ve no doubt you''ll be in the shake-up at the end of the season but come on, the league doesn''t lie (at least that''s what you used to always tell us ITFC fans).[/quote]

I don''t think we have a divine right to be there at all. I do think that both in midfield and going forward, we have proven quality and that sort of quality should be complimented by the defence which it is not. If it was, we''d be in the top two by now.[/quote]But you won''t be the first or last team to underachieve with a squad of ''proven quality''. We''ve gone down that route many times before and been let down. It doesn''t guarantee success.

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]There is no doubt we have massively shot ourselves in the foot this season. We are a far better side than more or less everyone in this league but when there are liabilities in the defence like Cuellar, Whittaker and Hooiveld, we''ve got no chance. We could have Messi and Ronaldo and we''d still lose 5-4.

Particularly more galling is seeing the likes of Elliott Ward, Zak Whitbread and Daniel Ayala lauding it over us at their respective clubs.[/quote]How can you say you''re a far better side than everyone?! It''s Christmas and you''re not even in the top 6. Why do you think you have a divine right to be there? I''ve no doubt you''ll be in the shake-up at the end of the season but come on, the league doesn''t lie (at least that''s what you used to always tell us ITFC fans).[/quote]oh dear, up pops brother bin (just in case we''d forgot how dim they are)so .....the comment was a qualified comment ie "more or less"there is no claim to a divine right (just you making up sh ite again) merely an appraisal of the quality of the squad and where that squad should be ... followed by a suggestion as to why it is not there, that''s all

of course being a binner you will not see the irony of squeaking about what we say being wrong... and justifying that squeak by quoting something we say !

as to the league table all it does show is what has happened so far - something that during our recent title winning and promotion winning seasons would have shown us to be failing ........... were we to take the positions before Xmas as a confirmation of where we would finish at the season''s end

unfortunately as it is now school holidays I expect we will have more of your infantile, ill thought out binmanist bleats, if so perhaps you could tell us all why your arms dealing, tax dodging owner has transferred your training ground into an offshore company owned by himsome sort of ''binvestment'' perhaps ?or in plain English - asset stripping

Totally agree with Jimmy Smith - not only comments on this post but also his comments on the Cuellar penalty.

I am not sure how we ended up with so many sub-standard defenders. Cuellar played for the Aston Villa and Sunderland teams against us recently. He was the weak link for those teams as far as I''m concern. Holt had him on "toast".

Was involved with 2 games against footballing powerhouses Wigan & Huddersfield and somehow a lot of people have simply forgotten how useless he is !!!.

Surely you must have a better memory than that ! These players don''t suddenly become better just because they sign for us.

Bring back Leon Barnett - we may still have a chance.

almost every single goal scored is down to mistake...

giving a ball away 60 yards up the pitch, losing the player you are supposed to be marking, not making a tackle, small lapses in concentration... be thankful for mistakes as nearly every game would be 0-0 if not