Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

4 points behind Watford....

surely as they are currently the side we''re chasing in the last playoff place ,this Bassong loan madness has to stop on January 1st?!......how many other instances can there have been when a similiarly placed club has loaned a player to another ? .Either Watford should buy him outright in a week and half''s time ...or we recall him. Extending his loan would be pretty unbelievable.

Given there''s half a season to go, I don''t consider we are really ''chasing'' anything position-wise, not yet: if we keep our recent form going the gap between us and the top will close so it is largely up to us. But I do agree that we should find another club for Bassong, having him help out a direct rival is stupid.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]It''s not uncommon for Championship squads to loan to each other. If i''m not mistake Ipswich have players on loan from Derby and Nottingham Forest[/quote]

a brief glance at their squad shows no loan players from forest and Connor Sammon from Derby....a player who cant get in either side and one that Derby probably arent too bothered about.

not the same as us loaning our best centre half and one who''s been ever present at watford including being part of a 10 man team who won and kept a clean sheet today.

.....whether he would back into our side or not, it would surely be a blow to watford to lose a first choice centre half mid way through the season??

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"] not the same as us loaning our best centre half [/quote]Oh dear, some people do have such short memories theses days.

Bassong was clearly having a bad influence in the dressing room It seems he didn''t respect the manager. Clearly no one wanted to buy him and only Watford were offering a loan (presume they have enough to pay wages) As adams himself said.. sometimes you just have no choice where a player goes. Imagine if he was in the U21s spreading rumours about the manager and cashing in 15k etc a week?!

We don''t know whats happening with Bassong Reading, infact nothing is ''clear'' in this scenario. We don''t know his impact in the dressing room, we can guess, and we don''t know if any bids came in for him in the summer, all we know is that we didn''t have any ''acceptable'' bids.

I think its pretty obvious that we ain''t gonna see him back here, so no point in worrying about who he plays for.
Watford fans have a pretty mixed opinion of him.

It does seem that way which is a shame because he was magnificent in his first season with us. He looks very unfit at the moment for Watford though

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"] not the same as us loaning our best centre half [/quote]Oh dear, some people do have such short memories theses days.[/quote]

i''d invite you to name a better centre half on our books??..............this will be interesting

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

i''d invite you to name a better centre half on our books??..............this will be interesting[/quote]Well according to the man that picks the team, and I don''t disagree with him, all the CB''s we have on our books are better for our Club than him because they''re here & he isn''t

we are on a decent little run but the automatic places look a long long way off. We have dropped shedloads of stupid points at home to date and should have been at least top 6, to show that we are behind the likes of Brentford underlines our stuttering performance to date. That said a side often comes from outside the top 6 post new year and we do have the quality to be that side and hopefully Phelans influence can make the difference. Whatever anyone says we have made hard work out of a very ordinary league when you look at dropped points against Brighton, Reading,Charlton, Rotherham in particular

well thats not an ability issue, its whatever the problem Adams has with Bassong off the field.

but the point of this thread isn''t whether he should be in our team or not.....its whether one of our players should be playing for a direct rival in the league.

I''d rather be paying Bassong to do nothing for the rest of the season than him playing week in ,week out for Watford because should for instance the league table finish as it is now, with Watford in a playoff place and us not, it''ll cost us a bit more than a few months wages.

Its plainly obvious that, whatever the accuracy of the rumours, the relationship between the club and Bassong has broken down, probably irretrievably. So I really dont see this as an issue. There isnt an option on the table where Bassong is back and playing for us.
And, like I said, Watford fans have mixed views. Good one game, bit of a liability the next.

[quote user="morty"]There isnt an option on the table where Bassong is back and playing for us.
[/quote]
If we continue to fail, a new manager could bring him back.  I can''t see Bassong playing for us again under the current regime - rightly so if the rumours are true - but who knows, stranger things have happened.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]There isnt an option on the table where Bassong is back and playing for us.
[/quote]
If we continue to fail, a new manager could bring him back.  I can''t see Bassong playing for us again under the current regime - rightly so if the rumours are true - but who knows, stranger things have happened.
[/quote]
We arent continuing to fail, and Neil will be here for the season now. 
I feel some people are "foxing" Bassong a little bit here. On his day, no doubt a great player, but definitely prone to concentration lapses. Sometimes for entire games.

[quote user="morty"]
I feel some people are "foxing" Bassong a little bit here. On his day, no doubt a great player, but definitely prone to concentration lapses. Sometimes for entire games.
[/quote]
7th is a failure - therefore we are currently failing - but the signs from recent games are promising. 
And I agree, Bassong does have his faults - but technically he is our best defender. This season our other defenders are already showing their faults,  with a seemingly endless succession of defensive blunders.
What is ''foxing'' anyway... basing your opinion on the performances of a player before they fall out of favour with a manager?
I notice Surman is sitting top of the league playing central midfield - Fox himself with a prior promotion under his belt. Lets hope Johnson and Howson can earn their first merits at this level.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]
[/quote]
7th is a failure - therefore we are currently failing - but the signs from recent games are promising. 
And I agree, Bassong does have his faults - but technically he is our best defender. This season our other defenders are already showing their faults,  with a seemingly endless succession of defensive blunders.
What is ''foxing'' anyway... basing your opinion on the performances of a player before they fall out of favour with a manager?
I notice Surman is sitting top of the league playing central midfield - Fox himself with a prior promotion under his belt. Lets hope Johnson and Howson can earn their first merits at this level.
[/quote]
"Foxing" - whenever a player isnt playing for us, for whatever reason, he is immediately the answer to all our problems. And becomes more so the longer he is out.
[;)]

If we''ve won 2 and drawn 1 of the last 3 games that''s the opposite of falling, tbd with our squad we couldn''t have been doing any worse. We''re in good form and we have to continue this if we''re going to get promoted, although we have been lucky that no-one in this league has consistently won games. We can still get to top spot by the end of the season. Neil''s shown he can get us on a good run, he''s also shown that he can get us on a terrible run with some of his unusual tactical decisions. We''re on the up now, there''s no denying that, it just depends how high we can get.

[quote user="morty"]
"Foxing" - whenever a player isnt playing for us, for whatever reason, he is immediately the answer to all our problems. And becomes more so the longer he is out.
[;)]
[/quote]
Ha!  Well yes, outside of players like Huckerby, it is hardly ever one player that makes the difference between success and failure.
[H]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[;)]

[/quote]

Foxing?  If only it had been that recent.    Brennaning more apt with Jim Brennan being called to replace Adam Dury in the 04 prem season a most amusing and my first memory of it.

Is he doing a good job at Watford? What do their fans think?
If he''s doing a really good job then only let him leave for a really good fee.

Bassong even if consistently performing isn''t the reason Watford are ahead of us. Since Watford got taken over by the Italians they''ve decided to try improve their football by appointing a manager consistent with this aim. They seem to have learned that putting a Mackay or a Boothroyd in charge in an attempt to thump their way to success can only get a team so far. Instead they''ve gone for a succession of reasonably good foreign managers in an attempt to instill something of a progressive footballing ethos.While Watford were going down the quality route to try and build success Norwich were appointing managers that prefer a low skill direct game which relies on stifling their opponents. Watford appointed foreign coaches with some kind of experience, we appointed a youth team boss who had no record of producing anything in terms of modern progressive football. There aren''t many British-based managers who are willing or able to produce technical football, yet Norwich never seem to consider them when they''re available.

Good idea tenpenny, let''s follow the Watford way, they''re on their 4th manager so far this season.

[quote user="STFU"]Good idea tenpenny, let''s follow the Watford way, they''re on their 4th manager so far this season.[/quote]Stability isn''t isn''t the be all and end all, it was after all the reason cited for why Hughton wasn''t kicked out. Some clubs can change manager but have a good backroom staff to ease the transition.Of course Norwich are trying to implement a more stable backroom instead of having a whole team come in and go out when the manager is sacked. But instead of moving onto a more experienced manager who will play a technical style of football we have stuck with someone who panicked and resorted to a traditional British style after becoming hopelessly out of their depth trying to play an attacking game.We should have changed manager after the Reading game, but faced with the expense of another Europe-wide search and the prospect of admitting that Adams was a daft appointment the board opted for the half-measure of bringing in Phelan. Yet again they have been lulled into a false sense of security as results improved somewhat but the football remained poor.