Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Adams and his starting XI

Yes, Adams has turned it around lately, espescially result wise, but partly also playing wise.

The win at Wigan was scrappy, but a performance needed in this division. Suck it up, and hit in the second half.

Huddersfield mauling was largely due to the sending off, and bar the early 2nd half goal, we could well have seen a frustrating evening that day, agianst a wall of 10 men. The early 2nd half goal opened Hudds up, and we capitalized with a good 2nd half performance against opponenents there for the taking.

Against Derby, we played the same starting XI third time in a row. Yes, Adams may feel he has found the formula, but in the home game vs Millwall, I feel he needs to start with Redmond.

Agreed, Redmond is not as effective when the opposition is fit, eager, and closing him down early. In the second half, when legs are tired, he gets that extra yard or two, and is very dangerous with his direct runs at the fullback. In the first half, he rarely gets these opportunities, because the fullbacks are closing him down earlier, and they got (reasonably) fresh legs at this stage.

But, against Millwall, surely it is time for Redmond from the start?

We can not be depending on a 2nd half performance every time we play.

We need to be on the front foot also in the 1st half, especially in home games, and it is also needed to change it a bit now and then for us not to be too predictable in our set up.

Millwall will almost guaranteed set up to play for a point.

As for man management, surely Redmond now has earned his starting berth after a few impressive 2nd half performances from the bench?

Got a feeling both Lafferty and Redmond will feature from the start vs Millwall, but it all remains to be seen how much Adams "dare" tinker with a setup that has worked quite well in recent games.

The one problem we have with starting Redmond home or away is that he does not always track back and if Whitaker plays and is isolated one on one against anyone with pace they will get past him

He only coped yesterday and the other games because Howson permanently tracks back to support him

Johnson does not need to do this as much on the left as Olsen has pace

The answer has to be drop Whitaker & no I am not picking on his as a scape goat he genuinely has no pace and is targeted as a weakness by every team we play - see what Millwall do on Boxing day

Agreed, Newton

Lack of pace in most of the backline is costly for us, as we seem to prefer to play a pressing game, where we boss possession. This is fine, but since our backline more often than not will be high in the pitch, they are vulnerable on the counter.

Therefore, it is beyond belief when Adams brings in players like Hoojfeld and Cuellar, both rather slow and somewhat cumbersome defenders, no better than the ones we got.

Yes, quick defenders with a pedigree comes at a cost, but surely better to fork out a few millons on a good defender than spreading it our on several mediocre ones And Miquel has not had a chance yet.

Totally disagree with most of this. Guessing the opinion that Whittaker is slow has come from him getting done for pace by Jordan Ibe, find me a defender in the league who could keep up with that kid? Same with Redmond. Whittaker certainly isn''t a slouch and gets up and down the field really well. Olsson has been done a few times for pace as well, Wolves away being a prime example. Slow defenders has been brought up a few times, but please remind me of a goal or 2 where our centre backs pace has cost us a goal? I''m struggling to remember any player running through on goal on a one on one with Ruddy after doing our defenders for pace? Could be wrong but I just can''t remember any. In my opinion an apparently lack of pace (which I don''t think we even have) hasn''t been an issue at all for us, mainly individual mistakes are what have cost us. Also remember one bit against Huddersfield where Cuellar got back rapidly and put a foot in, Russell Martin can certainly move as well.

Olsson has that magic aura of a fan favourite we call it lee croft syndrome

while Whittaker does make the odd mistake he gets crucified but Olsson while making the same errors never has a bad word said about him